stool for aquadoula or ideas for short mama? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-20-2010, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are renting the aquadoula from our midwife, its the only one she offers. DH set it up tonight and its really tall for me, like if I am sitting i cant really reach the sides, theyre at my head. If i am on my knees kneeling I cant really reach my arms over the side or to lay my head over the side. We were thinking of maybe using a stool inside? maybe something wooden. I know the plastic rubbermaid type ones would probably float and be annoying if I am not sitting on it or leaning on it? I dont think folded up towels would be tall enough or we would need many of them...Any other ideas? Any short mama's that used the aquadoula? i probably should ahve thought of just getting a fishy pool or something, but this seemed like the best bet since the midwife will drain it and take it away and it has the heater on it and lots of room and i like the color,seems calm and not distracting..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 11-20-2010, 07:39 PM

I didnt have an Aqua Doula - but i beleive i used something like it - (its NOT the blow up kind right?)  i used a small plastic stool UNDER the plastic - easiest to do prior to set up i realize!  i had a plastic stool which i piled a few towels on - for comfort more than anything.  We put it in thinking DH could sit on it.

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#3 of 9 Old 11-22-2010, 07:32 PM

I used a Rubbermaid stool in an AuqaDoula.  Just make sure there is no air bubble under it and it won't float.

Momma to three fine children, one that lives in my heart and two that live in my arms.
Circumcision is wrong, regardless of gender
#4 of 9 Old 11-27-2010, 08:49 AM

I can tell you from experience that a wooden birthing stool floats. I was able to sit on it but it was not comfortable because any shift in position and it would pop up.

I don't know why I thought of this - maybe the mention of Rubbermaid in the PP - but you could probably use a plastic tote turned upside down (and sans air bubbles) as a decent bench. Many of us already have those in the house, so it would be something you wouldn't have to buy just for a single occasion.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#5 of 9 Old 12-05-2010, 07:05 PM

I birthed in an aquadoula.  We took a sleeping bag and folded it up and put it under the tub before we filled it, to make a little bench.  I am 5'5" and actually found it a little too high.  (We did it at the advice of our midwives, so I could stay in the tub and nurse if I wanted to once the baby was born - so it was meant to lift me out of the water a decent amount.)

Good luck!

Mumma to DS July 2010 and expecting another baby boy late July 2012 belly.gif

#6 of 9 Old 12-05-2010, 07:21 PM

I like the sleeping bag idea :)  

I'm pretty short as well and we put a little plastic kids' stepstool in the Aquadoula for me to sit on and nurse the baby.  

During labor, though, I didn't feel I needed anything.  I wanted to be sort of up on my knees but propped against the side (if that makes sense, not totally kneeling).  I was able to lean against the side and hold DH"s hands - he was sitting on a chair outside the tub.  I didn't labor in the tub long before DS3 was born, but it was fine for actually laboring, very comfortable.  It was after when I wanted to nurse him that I wanted to be up a bit more.

Kristen, Loving my family heartbeat.gif Sweet DH, C 11, A 9, B 7, G 4, H 1, C newbie!
2ndtri.gif Free Healthy Pregnancy & Natural Birth Series, click here!

#7 of 9 Old 12-14-2010, 07:29 AM

I've read that putting pool noodles over the side makes it more comfortable to drape your body over the sides.

But maybe you might actually enjoy being buoyant? With my DS, I got to labor in our big in-ground pool. I was in the deep-end with my upper body through a raft - it was a big 'lounge' style raft with a hole for your feet & I had my upper body through that big foot hole. It enabled me to go limp, relax, and float, and even have my body slightly inclined forward, which was more comfy. So any floaty-ring that's big enough to get your head & shoulders through could let you relax & float there.

Being buoyant in labor was AWESOME, so I'm actually excited to hear aquadoula is so deep & my MW rents them. I'm 5'4", so hopefully I'll still be able to be mostly buoyant.

#8 of 9 Old 12-14-2010, 08:35 AM

I read somewhere to use a pool noodle under your armpits and an inflatable neck pillow (like for travel).  This will allow you to stay afloat.  I don't know if it works, but I have these on hand to try out in a few weeks!  The major problem I had with my first nirth was a major long labor in a tub and nowhere to put my head comfortably.  This combo seems like it would solve that?  WHo knows.

#9 of 9 Old 12-24-2010, 06:12 PM

Location: Basking In the Chaos of 4 Small Children Who Call Me Mom

I've been racking my brain thinking of all those things for in the tub/pool. The tub I'm thinking of getting has the inflatable seat and the bottom is inflated so that should be comfy enough for sitting. The sides are inflated, good for hugging/leaning and laying back.

But i had the thought a boogie board might be nice to hang onto and float while kneeling and laying forward ON the water. Just an idea i had. Of course an inflatable inner-tube would work well too and be more diverse.

The stool under the plastic is GENIUS! As are the pool noodles.clap.gif

Brittanyfly-by-nursing2.gif Wife to Cedricblowkiss.gif (heartbeat.gif4-9-05heartbeat.gif) Mommy to: Gideon Edmundsuperhero.gifG.E.M.(2-1-07)stillheart.gif

Miscarried Isabelle Aurora2ndtri.gif I.A.M. (12-12-08) Lorelei Ariahwool.gifL.A.M.(1-14-10)stillheart.gif  Youtube.com/user/murillomania

Tabitha Ivy Esperanza babyf.gifT.I.E.M.(7-17-11) My First h20homebirth.gif  stillheart.gifPhineas Alexander Lyric babyboy.gifP.A.L.M.(3-30-13) rainbow1284.gifuc.jpg

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page