I think I am switching to a homebirth at 34 weeks - need support - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-02-2010, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

And I am a little scared about it. I am vbac, not worried about that, well a little I am since my sister had a rupture (but yes I know, due to being induced) Little worried about pain management - my first baby was OP, and stuck facing my leg and it hurt, but then I was stuck on my back in stirrups.

I started at a midwife hospital based practice. And so far I have had MORE interventions and ultrasounds than with my original OB (who told me I would always need a c-section because I can't have babies over 6 pounds) These are all because I am 40 - AMA. I am fine, but they keep asking for more, and now I am refusing and I am getting all the horror stories.

Anyway, I can't tell my family, they would freak. So I have to be sneaky about the whole thing. I belong to ICAN and go to meetings, but I am still worried, this is a new step I never considered before - but after a long night at L&D for something that was so stupid, I can't take sitting in a hospital strapped to wires and not being able to eat just because something *may* happen at some point (I had contractions I couldn't feel - so they felt the need to stop them and got mad when I refused to get more than one of those shots) - is there anyone who had worries and were able to deal with them before the birth? I don't even know where to begin, what to consider. I have a 3 1/2 year old too, so I am not sure what to do with her while it happens.

Any advice would be so helpful.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 12-02-2010, 10:20 AM

I would say go for it. 

I switched at 36 weeks, when I had my first homebirth.  I had been considering it for a while, and then, between the waiting times at the office, the interventions (extra ultrasounds, etc.), the rotating between 5 midwives, not knowing if I'd get the only one I DIDN'T like, AGAIN, and the "promises" (such as rooming in and newborn exams that were supposed to be done in the room), that I was told at the last minute, "might not happen depending on their schedule...blah blah blah...." I switched.  I was done being jerked around.

IF you feel comfortable, and YOU won't get in your own way mentally, GO FOR IT!

I didn't tell my in-laws.  I did tell my side of the family, and my best friend at the time.  They WERE very negative.  And i decided that I didn't care, and I told them so.  Best decision I EVER made!

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#3 of 6 Old 12-02-2010, 12:44 PM

I was just coming here to post that I was now considering a homebirth! I am also a VBAC, and I've just found out I'm GBS+. I am 36 weeks pregnant and for a long time had resigned myself to just having a hospital birth. (my last was an attempted homebirth, last minute transfer to the hospital because the bub decided to go transverse at 9cm!) The closer I get to the date though the more I started freaking out about going to the hospital and facing all the interventions that go with a hospital birth. Luckily my midwives are fine with a homebirth and can administer an iv for antibiotics for the GBS if required right at my house. The part that sort of sucks is that if anything does go wrong then I will have to transfer to the hospital that I really dislike (this is due to the distance between my house and the preferred/not preferred hospital - unfortunately the not preferred one is a lot closer in the event of an emergency transfer). I'm still a little nervous about this as it literally is just a decision that has been made in the last few days (although I'll admit to having had fantasies about delivering too quickly to get to the hospital in time for months) Luckily my husband is fine with whatever I want to do as is my mother. I have only told one friend and even though I'm pretty sure it isn't a choice she would make she has been completely supportive. I haven't told anyone else because frankly I know that they would NOT be supportive at all. I figure they can find out after the fact. 

Anyway I just wanted to give you some encouragement and tell you that if you want to do this than it is entirely possible :)

Kelly

Kelly (35), married to DH and living happily with DD (8), DS (6), DS (3) and introducing brand new baby James b. 1/5/11, always remembering ~Joseph~ b/d March 10, 2001. 
#4 of 6 Old 12-02-2010, 12:59 PM

I also switched to a homebirth at 36 weeks.  My OB was awsome/very midwife-esque, but wouldn't be able to deliver me anyway. It was my first birth though, so besides for researching, I had no negative first experience birthing in a hospital, VBAC, etc. 

Switching so late in the game is intimidating, but entirely possible, and IMO, not usually too problematic (if at all!). Just try for preparation as much as possible.  Do you already have a midwife?  Read lots of HB birth stories, and find other women for support. ICAN is great!

IMHO, getting over past birth trauma is usually the most difficult part for women with subsequemt homebirths.  I'd try and focus on dealing with whatever issues you may have as much as possible beforehand.

Congratulations mama!

mama/stepmama (07/08/08/97)
#5 of 6 Old 12-02-2010, 01:56 PM

I also switched from a hospital based midwife practice to a homebirth at 30 something weeks. So worth it! I was worried about "firing" the practice I had been seeing, but my midwife had a form for me to sign that she faxed over requesting the records. I never had to deal with them.

#6 of 6 Old 12-03-2010, 04:48 AM

I had a similar situation.  I switched from an OB to a hospital-based midwife at 28 weeks, and then to a homebirth midwife at 34 weeks-- so it's not too late!  As much as I like the hospital midwife, like you, I became too leary about all the medical interventions that hospitals demand and after doing some research and talking to local friends who had homebirths, I was sold!  My advice is to take some time to interview homebirth midwives in your area, see who is even available, and talk to other homebirth moms and then you'll have a good sense of what path to take.  Good luck!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page