Postive Homebirth Stories! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 51 Old 12-21-2010, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm a little done with the doom and gloom posts of recent in this forum, I know it's no good for my emotions....as my first homebirth approaches (well, in May), I'd love to flood my mind and heart with postive homebirth stories.  So please share if you'd like, what was especially wonderful about it?  What are the moments you most remember?  I've already read through Ina May's book, I just LOVED the confidence those stories gave me for my last natural hospital birth, I'd love more!!  Thanks!

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
#2 of 51 Old 12-21-2010, 05:32 PM

Oooh I'd love to hear some too!  =)

~Christy, wife to M and mother to M and A, expecting baby #3 in May 2011 Planning our first HBAC!
#3 of 51 Old 12-21-2010, 06:04 PM

Saw this in new posts.

I had my DS at home in February. It was a long, but manageable labor. I had my mom on skype-which was pretty nice. DS came out wide eyed, pink, and screaming. Our MW placed him on my belly (short cord) and he crawled up to my chest--she had to keep pulling him back down because of the short cord! I loved the smell of breakfast coming up to my bedroom right after he was born (never has anything tasted so delicious!) DH, DS, and I took a nap in our own bed a little while after the birth. I wouldn't change a thing!

Kara: on a journey with DH, Mama to DS 2/2010
#4 of 51 Old 12-21-2010, 08:58 PM

My homebirth experience was the *BEST* DAY* OF * MY LIFE* 

When people ask about how my DD's birth went they are surprised at my answer.  My home water birth gave me the feeling of being in control of a situation where one usually feels anything but that. I remember thinking how vulnerable I was between contractions and thinking "I can't imagine doing this anywhere else than here at home!".

On my midwife's suggestion, I planned a relaxing and distracting activity for the very beginning of labor.  After my first few... "I think i had a contraction...Yes, that was a contraction!" I baked a lovely apple crisp.  Called DH at work, and he decided he was too excited so he would come home shortly.  Now, the smell of apple crumble forever reminds me of my DD's beautiful birth!

I also remember being in my shower and DH helping with the hand held shower-head onto my back and abdomen... a lovely feeling during contractions.  I also remember my midwife coming into the bathroom and suggesting that i move into the birth pool, i remember stepping into my living room and seeing the minor preparations my Mother had done to the room, candles and low light.  It only registered for a moment, but it was a moment of thankfulness to my mother for the small kindness.  

DD was born in August, labor started around 12pm and she was born at 10pm.  I remember right before she was born it began to rain, and then thunder and lightning a little. I personally *love* a good summer thunderstorm and I remember thinking what a beautiful sound it was to be hearing during this moment!

When DD was born and then placed on my chest she didn't cry, she just looked around with an expression of amazement.  The midwife did give her a little pinch on the foot to get her going but I don't really remember.  DH was supporting me from behind and we both just gazed at our beautiful little one. (I'm getting teary now!) We stayed that way for quite some time, DD latched on right away!!

I remember the feeling when one of the midwives helped me out of the birth pool and into my shower, I had done it! And i was very happy to use my own body wash, and nice cozy towels, then into my nice pjs next to DH and my brand new DD!!!  We all had a beautiful visit and tried to decide on a name.  My mother brought us some of the crumble that I had baked hours earlier, we ate and gazed at this person we'd all been so excited to meet.   Then my new family and I snuggled in for the night into our own bed!  Fantastic!!

What a lovely thread! joy.gifNow I'm in a fantastic mood! Thank-you!!!

#5 of 51 Old 12-21-2010, 09:35 PM

My first homebirth memories... not being able to answer questions. haha! I remember my midwife asking me things (like stay in the water or get out?) and all I could answer was "I don't know"... she switched her tactic to suggesting things directly and leaving it to me to refuse if I was against it. I love her for that!! In my head I did know, but my brain was short circuiting in labor land. :) I so doubted I was really in labor (even tho I was 40+2) and I didn't call my best friend to come soon enough. She got there really late in the process - as if she would have minded sitting around for false labor for a few hours and then leaving! Silly labor head! I remember that dd was born as I squatted next to the bed and nearly hit the floor as she bungee jumed out of me. My amazing dh was wanting to catch her, but he came up to my ear to whisper that the head was out (silly man... as if I didn't know!!) and she never stopped coming out. My mw turned back around from reaching for a compress and dove under to literally catch her.  Dd is still the wild child 6 years later. I had a dream that I journaled around 6 mos pg where dd was laying on the floor and I moved the towels to see what gender we had... it played out exactly as it had in my dream.  I also remember that while many of my supplies were nearby, we wound up sending my best friend (who was photographing for us) out to the kitchen at 3am searching for a bowl for the placenta. Oops!  I also remember the intense HIGH from doing it that way at home (as opposed to my med-free hospital birth). Dd was born at 250am and I didn't go to sleep until after 10am. I was hyper and high and babymooning, even as dh passed out. :)  I really thought I would be more tired than I was. I also remember saying that same day that I would do it again tomorrow if it didn't take so long to cook a baby! 

My second homebirth memories... my big kids (then 6 and 3) helping like sweet little elves. My oldest had a pad of paper and pen acting like my "labor waiter" writing down that I needed more water before running off to fill my cup. My water broke before labor started (by a few hours) and the kids were aware and they were literally bouncing off the walls waiting for baby and for dh to get home from work. I put on a movie and sat on the birth ball trying to keep their attention on the movie instead of racing around the house. I remember them taking turns sitting in their kid sized chair next to the pool keeping me company. I remember little 3yo dd (she's now 6) laying on the floor, face pressed up against the side of the birth pool asking if the baby was here yet like every 15 minutes. After spending months prepping the kids that I don't yell in labor, the baby came out with a nuchal hand and funky positioned head and I yelled - they backed up some, but their amazement at the process regardless is something I can STILL see as a vivid memory. I remember dd's little voice announcing the gender "I love my brother!! He's so cute!" before we had even checked ourselves.  Then she got to use her big girl preschool skills and help cut the cord too. She had asked to do it a few weeks prior to the birth when she realized someone would need to cut it. I remember the pride on ds1's face as he got to hold his new brother first (after mommy obviously) so that the mw and dh could get me out of the pool and situated in bed. I remember hearing him in the other room awing over the placenta with the mw as she went over it with him.  Ds 2 was born at 1030p on the eve of ds1's birthday... so we were all still up at midnight and after we sang Happy Birth Day to the new baby (tradition for us) we sang it for ds1 too. :)

Wow I am teary too now thinking about doing this again with them in a few weeks!! We are a family of birth & baby junkies and we're all wired in anticipation. Its like we're getting Christmas twice! ;)

Momma to ds bikenew.gif6/02 (med free hospital), dd pinktongue.gif10/04 hb, ds diaper.gif6/08 hb, and ds babyboy.gif hb 1/12/11
#6 of 51 Old 12-22-2010, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter

thank you!  I've been forgetting the joyful amazing parts of homebirth as I've been so focused on the critical practical stuff...keep sharing!  I love hearing all those details and wondering what mine will be like.  My 2 year old has declared that she will watch and will be wearing gloves just like the midwife :)

#7 of 51 Old 12-22-2010, 06:46 AM

I am glad you are staying away from negative stories as best as you can.  I did my best to do the same while pregnant.  I was sure to stop people when they started in on a negative story and I did not watch birth videos as to only visualize our birth.  Our homebirth was fantatsic.  My fondest memories....  laboring in my home, in my comfort, with my best friend.  Our home lit by candle light, stock simmering on the stove.  Having my DS placed on my chest.  Waking up to my home clean and laying in bed with my DS and DH, dog and cat too.  Fantastic morning....  makes me cry just thinking of it. 

'09   
#8 of 51 Old 12-22-2010, 11:05 AM

This was just what I was looking for! Life has been so busy with this pregnancy (#2) that I haven't had time to think about it at all.

DS#1 was almost born at home. I had my full labour and 3 hours of pushing at home, and I wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere else. I also remember not being able to talk, but thinking answers. Like when the midwives were asking where the towels were, and I thought "They're in the closet right there" but said nothing. They eventually found them. I LOVED being in the bathtub and being able to roll over in it with so much less effort than in a bed.

We did end up transfering because I was pushing for so long, but even that worked out well. The ride there or the elevator or something moved my DS just enough to finally come out on his own. If I had been in the hospital the whole time, they probably would have had to use different interventions. So overall, a wonderful birth! I remember the next day saying to a friend "I can do that again, not quite yet, but deffinatly can do that again!"

April

April. Homeschooling mama who is living for balance in life.

~Live simply...so others may simply live.~

#9 of 51 Old 12-22-2010, 11:17 AM

My homebirths were fabulous and both my boys were meconium babies - no transfer.

http://mommysince2001.blogspot.com/2009/12/i-havent-written-out-nitty-gritty-of.html

and

http://mommysince2001.blogspot.com/2008/07/ok-so-9-months-later-my-full-birth.html 

Wife to Jesse, Mom to Ayden 12/01, Kailey 07/03, Ashlyn 6/05, Dylan 9/07, & Riley 12/09

#10 of 51 Old 12-22-2010, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

"mommy, quit your whining!" lol! 

#11 of 51 Old 12-22-2010, 11:34 AM

I can't wait until she has a baby!  ;) lol

Wife to Jesse, Mom to Ayden 12/01, Kailey 07/03, Ashlyn 6/05, Dylan 9/07, & Riley 12/09

#12 of 51 Old 12-22-2010, 04:13 PM

On Friday, July 18th after trying everything from acupuncture to chili peppers to encourage the baby to come out I decided that I would indeed be pregnant for the rest of my life and if nothing else, it would be excellent birth control.

On July 19th, my 24th birthday I woke up at 8AM having contractions. I was absolutely giddy with excitement. I told Clinton that we were going to have the baby today, something I had told him everyday for the past 9 days, needless to say he didn't bother waking up! Around 9 I got out of bed and did some chores. When I got up and moved around the contractions became less intense and spaced out more, this was kinda disappointing as it meant that I was not in real labor yet. While this was going on my mom was in route to Tucson, set to arrive at about 12. I debated whether to have my Aunt pick her up at the airport, and I called my midwife, Lisa, to see what she thought. Lisa basically told me that I should go about my day as normal, and if my contractions started getting in a normal pattern of being longer, stronger and closer together then I should consider it the beginning of labor.

We picked up my mom from the airport and then drove around for about an hour trying to find a restaurant that was open for lunch. (In Tucson all of the local businesses either close or change their hours during the summer.) Finally we made it to Ghini's, an excellent little French cafe. I ate a ridiculous amount of food; soup, salad, garlic bread, and pasta. After we were done eating we went over to the bakery part of the cafe and loaded up on decadent goodies, we got all sorts of cakes, pastries and tarts. While we were in the bakery I had to sit down and breath through a contraction, jokingly the woman behind the counter asked me if I was having labor pains, and I told her that I was! She was very excited by this and proceeded to tell me all bout her daughter's births, it was such a sweet interaction, her advice was to walk around as much as possible while in labor.

The rest of the day we hung out around the house with contractions coming and going, but never getting really intense or constant. In the evening I rested while my mom and Clinton went to the store and stocked up on goodies. Around 8 Clinton and I went on a walk to the Sants Cruz River (don't be mislead, the river doesn't actually have water in it except a few days a year.) My contractions really slowed down as we were walking around. It was a great walk though, we met a neighbor who has an Akita, the same breed as one of our dogs. And then, another neighbor stopped us and asked us if we wanted their crib! It is a beautiful wooden crib, and who knows, we may actually use it someday. My mother didn't know what to make of it when we came back from our walk carrying a crib.

Around 9 I went to bed, it had started to monsoon (thunderstorm) so we opened the bedroom windows . I was able to sleep in between contractions and thunderclaps. At this point the intensity of the contractions picked up, to the point where I was moaning through them, but still falling back asleep in between them. Around midnight I woke up and got in the bathtub. I continued to sleep in between contractions, and in between my head slipping below the water line. At about 1AM I had two contractions that absolutely floored me. While I was having them I thought, "Oh no, I cannot do this, I'm going to need to go to the hospital and get an epidural." I thought that these contractions were the beginning of active labor, but in retrospect I realize that this was actually my 'transition,' the time right before the pushing stage that is the most painful part of labor. I managed to get out of the tub and wake Clinton up to tell him that it was time to call Lisa. With the next contraction I was pushing. I was very confused at this point, I didn't understand why my body was pushing as in my mind, I was just beginning labor. Clinton came in the bathroom and asked if he should start timing contractions or call Lisa right away. I told him that I didn't care what he did, at this point I still couldn't believe I was pushing already. Thankfully, he called Lisa and told her I was pushing. This was at about 1:20. In the meanwhile Clinton was telling me not to push, and I kept telling him I couldn't not push. I had no control over my body at that point, and it was pushing the baby out! Lisa arrived at 1:45, my mom who was sleeping on the couch the whole time woke up to see her running past into our bedroom. My mom said her first thought waking up was, "what's her rush?"

After grabbing the midwife's equipment and throwing the dogs out, Clinton came and sat on the edge of the tub and supported me while I pushed. My mom was in the bathroom too, acting as Lisa's assistant, grabbing things and writing down times as Lisa told her to. Little Rowan came out at 2:08 AM. As he was born I reached down and pulled him onto my chest. The first thing I did was look in between his little legs and announce that he was a boy! Although I must have done it quietly as no one heard me say it. He had the most amazing umbilical cord it was perfectly coiled and looked like it was 5 feet long, although I'm sure that was an exaggeration. After a few minutes Clinton cut the cord, and a few minutes after that we moved onto the bed to deliver the placenta.

I was expecting Rowan to be at least 30 pounds, so you can imagine my surprise when he measured in at 5 pounds 6 ounces. Every single inch of him is perfect and soft and smells like the most delicious pastry imaginable. He is so precious. I cannot even begin to explain how my heart overflows with love every time I look at him, or every time I watch Clinton holding and looking at him.

P.S. This was a planned homebirth!

Julia, mama to Bumpa 2008, and The Mole 2011

#13 of 51 Old 12-22-2010, 04:29 PM

Love reading these!  I am committed to staying away from anything negative during pregnancy so I wouldn't allow myself to open any threads that looked scary.  These stories are AWESOME!

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#14 of 51 Old 12-22-2010, 08:29 PM

Good for you, mama! Fill your mind with positive, affirming birth stories. thumb.gif

I've had two WONDERFUL homebirths, absolutely mind-blowingly amazing.

Here's Judah's:

http://tending-home-fires.blogspot.com/2008/07/judahs-birth-story.html

And here's Clementine's:

http://tending-home-fires.blogspot.com/2009/11/clementines-birth-story.html

And here's the photo montages of my second homebirth, if you want some visual images of pure homebirth baby bliss. :)

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=9f75b10950dc4b03b745d5&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=9f9bb33a6daa7e38a0956b&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

slinggirl.gif  Melissa: wife todh_malesling.GIF, mama to 5 dear children grouphug.gif and remembering Matthias angel2.gif (8.9.05 - 8.10.05)

#15 of 51 Old 12-22-2010, 08:37 PM

oh thankyou mamas it is wonderful to hear all these blessed wonderful stories

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#16 of 51 Old 12-23-2010, 11:44 AM

Fair warning: brevity is not my strong suit, so these stories are long. ;)

Here is my most recent homebirth of Ds4. I decided to post it finally, just for you.

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1287125/camden-s-homebirth#post_16135725

Here is Ds3's homebirth story. It was the most peaceful, amazing birth.

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/959472/taegan-bryant-s-home-water-birth

Here is Ds2's very fast homebirth.

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/424904/kian-matthew-s-whirlwind-homebirth

I wish I could add Ds1's to the list... but he was born in the hospital. I thought it was a great birth at the time... which it was, for a hospital birth.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#17 of 51 Old 12-23-2010, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

I just got a contraction reading your recent story, lol.  So I'm curious which homeopathic remedy helped lessen your postpartum bleeding?  And congrats!!

thanks for all the stories mama's! 

#18 of 51 Old 12-23-2010, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)

* Freedom of movement.  Both of my babies were OP.  Hospital birthing can all-to-often force a woman on her back with schtuff hooked up to her, so I question whether I could have gotten my babies to turn in a hospital the way I was able to at home.

* The whole Midwifery Model of Care and comfort I could take in evidence-based practice.  No routine EFM, no routine IVs, no food or drink restrictions, no clock-watching or "moving things along" with Pit.....They let my birth unfold on its own, all the while monitoring carefully in case an intervention was necessary.  I know, I know.  It's all a cliche homebirth argument, but to personally experience it all is something else entirely.  love.gif

* Because of the aforementioned, my trust was up and my defenses were down.  There was no worrying: "What instrument is she grabbing?  What is she going to do?  Did they remember that X wasn't in my birth plan?"  I could just surrender and focus on my birth. 

* No traveling in the car.  Nuff said! thumb.gif

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#19 of 51 Old 12-23-2010, 05:42 PM

Okay, I will share mine, too.  It was truly the best day of my life

Those of you who knew me well during the pregnancy and birth of Gabe know that it was a very traumatic experience in more ways than I can recount in this note. The short of it is, at 22 weeks I started bleeding heavily and was told it was unlikely that Gabe would survive and certainly not that I would make it to term. I was in the hospital for a while and then at home on bedrest until the c-section at 35 weeks. I had a couple more episodes of bleeding and it was determined that I had a very rare but potentially fatal complication called a vasa previa - I had 2 placentas that were connected by the umbilical cord which was draped across the opening of my cervix. When I moved, it bled, and Gabe and I were both in danger.

Needless to say, Gabe is a happy, healthy and perfectly amazing little boy. I am blessed in ways that have made me re-think the way the universe works. Everything turned out well, except for the lingering trauma I endured for the past 2 years surrounding this experience. So many people were dismissive of my feelings - "well, you ended up with a healthy baby and that is all that matters" Really? Well, duh, thank you. Perhaps if you could crawl into my brain for a minute you would see the giant, gaping scar left behind from the stress and terror I was under for so long.

So this time around, barring any complications, of course - I was ready to face birth like G-d intended. At home, surrounded by loved ones and in the most natural state possible. Many people are afraid of home birth - afraid of what could go wrong, afraid of not being *able* to do it... I had no fear, and I mean that. I put my faith into the power of karma and healing and I had not one doubt that home birth was our intended path.

At 2am on Monday, July 20th, a contraction woke me. This was not a braxton-hicks - this was painful. They continued every 10 minutes until about 7am. The intensity picked up but they remained far apart. I baked a birthday cake for Kaya, knowing today would be the day. Around 9 my water broke and at 10 my sister-in-law arrived. We went for a walk that kicked the contractions into high gear, sending them to every 5 minutes apart and becoming very, very strong.

My midwife came as we were filling the birth pool. The water was wonderful and I labored in there for a couple of hours. Around 3pm I got the urge to push and did so very gently. I worked very hard on using my slow, controlled breathing and deep exhaling to work with the contraction instead of tensing up against it. After 2 hours of pushing, I began to feel sleepy and actually dozed off a bit in between the outrageous surges. I was not making much progress getting her out, though, so my midwife suggested trying some pushing on land. That was exactly what I needed - gravity! I stood for several pushes and got her to crown. My legs were getting tired and so I got onto hands and knees for the final rounds. Kaya Rose was born at 6:23pm with one big, giant controlled push that took every single ounce of strength and confidence I could gather up. It was the most beautiful, loving act I have ever done and I hope this feeling stays with me always.

I am in awe of the power of a woman's body. The moment Kaya was born, I knew I had finally become the woman I was always meant to be. My family was with me, in the comfort of our home and a blissful peace and quiet that could never, ever be achieved in the hospital. Nobody told me what to do, nobody told me when I could eat or drink, nobody came uninvited into my room and stuck their fingers inside of me like I was a ticking time bomb. The only intervention I had during labor was the love and encouragement of my husband, my midwife and my amazing sister-in-law Julie.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#20 of 51 Old 12-23-2010, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I have to agree that I loved my home birth.  DD1's hospital birth was not terrible or traumatic, but far from what I wanted.  Pitocin, followed by 5 hours of intense contractions before getting an epidural.  I felt very disconnected from the birth and my DD.  Fast forward 2 years....

My water broke at 2:30 and I was having pretty regularly spaced BH, nothing intense or even mentionable.  I started feeling the waves at around 4pm, but still could completely talk through them.  DH was home and so was my MIL... my mom was on her way over by this time.  At 5ish, I was feeling a little crampy and wanted in the birth pool, so it was set up and filling, still completely manageable... DD1 was swimming in the tub with me and just having so much fun.  At 5:30ish I wanted out of the pool, getting quite uncomfortable by this time.  Told DH to call midwife because I didn't know how long this whole thing would last.  Started vocalizing through contractions, but was joking and talking with everyone between them.  Midwife arrived at 6:30 and listened to baby and I was talking with her about not knowing how long the whole thing would last.... second midwife arrived at 7pm.  I think it was about this time that I started pushing involuntarily.  It was so amazing to listen to my body... no one had checked my progress or told me when to push or anything.  My body said push and I did.  I was squatting on the toilet and soon said that the baby was coming.  Somehow I moved to the bed and DD1, MIL and mom came in.  I pushed a few more times and I delivered the head.  Midwife talked DH through the rest of delivery.  Amazing to have DH and I the only ones really involved in the birth.  DD1 clapped and squealed when the baby was born.  Such an amazing moment.  DH put DD2 on my chest and said we had another girl!        

I loved that I felt in control... I loved that DH delivered our baby.... I loved that I was not told when to push.... I loved that DD1 was there.... I loved the entire thing.  We will have another home birth.

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#21 of 51 Old 12-24-2010, 07:55 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)

Like Canadaap, I had a positive planned HB with a transfer.  I also had 3 hours of pushing at home.  I felt my baby's head in my bedroom.  I had a smooth transfer and was supported by HB MW in the 3rd stage, which I believe saved me from retained placenta.  I got to see first hand the difference between HB midwifery and hospital practice.  My MW trusted that I *knew* the birth wasn't over and had retained a bit of placenta and she risked her practice as a MW by treating me in the hospital setting.  Her bravery and trust in me had lasting effects.  I also happened to really like the Dr. on duty at the hospital.  Her vibe helped motivate me and helped me realize that other ways of doing things can sometimes be just what we need.  It was nice to be supported by two amazing women!!   My story is a positive HB story because, again like Canadaap, I do feel that being at home for all but that last hour is what helped me have what was important to me out of birth and is something that would not have been possible without having chosen HB.  Some of those things had very little to do with the birth itself and more to do with forming myself as a mother (or some weird stuff like that).  I also had the feeling right after birth that I could do that again and again!  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#22 of 51 Old 12-24-2010, 09:54 AM

I've had both my babies at home. Both experiences were very different, but empowering and overwhelmingly positive. smile.gif

Here are the birth stories, which I posted here shortly after they happened:

Felix Milo's peaceful homebirth

Matilda Charlotte's fast and furious home waterbirth

Hope this helps! Positive homebirth stories really helped me during both pregnancies. Ina May's books were very useful too.

Congratulations on your pregnancy! You will do this and it will be amazing and awesome and will change your life forever. How exciting! joy.gif

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#23 of 51 Old 12-24-2010, 09:21 PM

I had 6 babies: 5 born at home, 3 were UC, last was an intended UC and I transferred care for (ultimately) a needed csec.  All were lovely experiences in so many ways...

With #1, I had a very laid back country doc attending me.  During the pregnancy I visualized a peaceful birth and practiced my yoga and relaxation stuff.  Water broke, contrax started STRONG in a few hours.  I labored for only 8 hrs, never felt painful but I did work to stay relaxed and open.  We kept calling the doc who kept saying "it's your first baby, you've got all day"--he was expecting the 'usual 12-20hrs or more' of first timer labor.  I had a few women friends onhand, my dh...and various other people who wandered in that day!  Funniest memory was my 14yr old BIL, on the (very large) bed with us, cracking jokes and staring at my yoni as if he could bring the baby by the force of his will.  It might sound strange, but I"m not real modest and in labor didn't give a hoot who saw me naked--and he was so funny!  Finally told my dh to tell the doc--I have to push, he'll miss it if he doesn't hurry!  Doc's instructions were 'breathe don't push', which I did--amazingly enough.  40 min later he walked in, pulling on his gloves as my daughter was fully crowning.  Doc stepped up and caught her, put her on my belly and we all cheered for her.  I asked for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and announced, "I could do that again any day!"

So I did, was pregnant (accidentally) at 4mos pp.  That time we had our own house (had lived at IL's first time) and planned better who would be there and why.  I had a couple hours of very mild contrax, knew this was the day.  Suddenly things shifted into high gear--and 4hrs later I was holding my dd2, surrounded by dh, dd1, a couple of friends.  Another painfree birth--and this time, when I wanted to push, I pushed--and she was out in 2 pushes.

My following labors were all quite a bit longer--as the babies got bigger, the labors seemed to get longer.  In all of them, I was surrounded by people of my choosing and my other kids wandered in and out at will (having ppl on hand to help them to whatever they needed).  Even though those labors were harder, and I would have definitely said painful, the atmosphere was relaxed, warm, attentive as I needed and I was pretty much in charge of things.  I loved having the nurturing attention of others...something a mom of many can't count on very often!

Even my transfer, which was a bit scary due to ds3's being excessively wrapped in the cord, pea soup meconium, bad decels--it was good in it's own way because of the support of friends and having a good backup doc.  He knew I was pretty much a queen of natural birth and stayed out of my way--and it was me who called for the surgery, ultimately.  I just knew it was time, doc was willing to let me go longer.  Turns out I was right--all the cord wrapping was causing the lengthy decels (cord compression as he tried to descend), and he was starting to pull the placenta away from the uterus.  As it was, he was born fine, high apgars and we did not have to be separated.  Could have gone worse if we'd waited--and the placenta had more fully abrupted or the cord compression finally caused real distress.  So even though it was hard in one way--it was also perfect, and I am still proud that I listened to my intuition concerning transfer and then the csec.  And in spite of all the mec, my son did not aspirate and did not need any suctioning at all.

All of them were blissful in their own way, and my babies came to me and nursed well in their own time, never left my arms unless I wanted to shower or something--even in the hospital.  I was careful to pick a small country hospital that didn't do many births, even though my doc wanted to meet me down the road at the level III.  So I co-slept and all, even that time.  Of course, by then as such an experienced mom, no one was going to tell me I couldn't!  I was the only mom on the floor til the day I left (2days later)...and early on that 2nd day, the nurse begged to hold my ds while I showered--she convinced me I'd be glad to be up and around (she was right) and promised me she wouldn't do anything to him "I just want to cuddle him!".

I have helped some people have some fine hospital births (as a doula), and the families were happy enough.  But after my hb experiences I'd never do it any other way without real need!  No interference, only support--I ate, drank, soaked, moved about, got touch or song or quiet or whatever I wanted, when I wanted it...and I could follow my own blessed birth instincts without interference.  No 'protocols' run on me or baby...no disruption of bonding or life.  Even my tougher births were the very best days of my life!

#24 of 51 Old 12-26-2010, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

It's really good to hear the positive transfer stories, all I've every heard is that it's traumatic, nice to hear that it can still be positive! 

#25 of 51 Old 12-26-2010, 06:21 AM

well I wasn't at home but I was in a home-like setting at a birth center.

I did hypnobabies and it was amazing! I can not recommend an at home program more! I stayed focused and had my head phones in. most of my labor (believe it or not) I was lying in bed for completely in the zone focusing on getting through the contractions.

If someone distracted me I would usually be pulled out of it though then start walking around screaming like a mad woman lol

anyways It was an 11hr labor - first child. I had her in bed and she was placed right on top of me, and stayed there for 2 hours straight (I nursed her of course) then they weighed her and what not once I was ready.

It was really beautiful. the only thing that did suck was the 2 hr drive to the birth center! Man I wish they had more in the US!

anyways DH and I agreed next one is at home so we can save ourselves the drive now that we fully trust everything will be ok. We would absolutely have to find the best midwife though!

Good luck on you're birth!

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#26 of 51 Old 12-26-2010, 10:29 AM

I had a beautiful homebirth in October of 2009. It was my first pregnancy, and I was thankful to be surrounded by midwives, family, and friends.

My girlfriends and grandparents sat downstairs while I labored upstairs. They played cards, made music, baked cookies, and video-documented their encouragements to me. My husband, mother, and midwives stayed upstairs with me. I bounced from bed to tub to shower to birthing ball. The whole thing lasted 22 hours or so, but it felt like sun-up to sun-down for me. Very manageable. You can read the story at WWW.LETTERSTOAMES.COM - find the tag "natural birth" or "home birth" and you'll see the link. There were instances of dropped heart rates and eleveated respiration rates, things that might alarm a doc or a nurse - and each issues was handled beautifully and efficiently. Oxygen, position changes, nature at its best. Oh, and I'm a registered nurse. Enjoy the read; I loved writing it!

RACHAEL - registered nurse. handsome musician's wife.
Stepmom to Lucas (10yrs) & Avery (8yrs). Momma to Ames (1yr), born at home.
Our "4th & Final Boy" turned out to be a set of TWIN GIRLS, born April 2011!
www.letterstoames.com

#27 of 51 Old 12-26-2010, 05:17 PM

a little over 5 years ago, i gave birth to my first daughter. it was a homebirth. it was a long labor. it was exhausting, but, i perservered and learned a lot about myself.  my midwife (who is very experienced and knowledgeable) stayed the night sleeping in my room with me and her assistant. my dh caught our daughter as she came out and then he announced that she was a girl. it was so empowering to know i did it! it wasn't pretty, but i did it.  my daughter entered this world through a mother (me!) who had been born at home with a mid-wife , and caught  by a father who had been born at home by a midwife in Peru.  in fact, his mother traded two bags of corn for the midwife attending his birth! 

with my second daughter, i knew that i really didn't want another logn hard labor. i had learned from friends who had hb and had quick easy labors, abotu chiropractic care during pregnancy. so i began getting regular adjustments. i was having prelabor stuff for about 3 weeks before one mornign i woke up adn knew i was in labor.  i called my mother and then hopped in the shower. i called my mw when i got out and told her that i was in labor, but that it was early.  then my mother showed up and my dh and dd1 got up. it was around 8ish.

i had a bagel and made sure to drink lots of water and to try and pee.( an overfull bladder had slwoed my labor last time during one point).  we watched some TV. the contractions were definatly getting stronger, longer and closer together, but i could easily handle it.  my dad showed up to watch dd1 for us.  i decided i needed to be alone and made a nest.  my mother ( who had 4 homebirths) told me that she thought i was in transition and that i needed to call my mw now.  i didn't want to call yet, cause i thought, i could only be at 3 or 4 cms.  but seh kept badgering me, so i called.  my mw agreed that she thought she should come over, after listening to me through a contraction. she got there abotu 40 minutes later. she checked me and told me that i was at 7!!!! i was so excited. i couldn't believe i was that far!!! it was nothing like my first. 

she could tell that i needed to be alone for labor ( i didn't have to tell her, she just knows me and has seen enough laboring women) so she checked heart toens through 1 contraction and said it was good and went into another room to wait for me.  her assistant showed up, cheked hearttones about 30 minutes later. everythign was good. i was feeling good for as far along as i was. i was pacing in our geust room. my hips were starting to hurt during contractions, so i hopped in the shower for a little while.  cheked hearttones, everything was good.  i wanted to get out of the shower.  then, i was really in the thick of it.  i climbed out and took of my pants (i had gotten i the shower with my clothes cause it was immediate adn i didn't have the energy or concentration to take my clothes off) i climbed on my bed and then i wanted to be on all fours, but i couldnt hold myself up, so, my mw built a pyramid of pillows for me to lay on.  i started to feel like i wanted to push. she wanted to check me. (this was only the second adn last vaginal check i had during labor) i was good to go when i wanted to push. i was waiting for the urge. i TOTALLY felt it and went with it.  and that pushing HURT!!! it had't the first time, adn really this was the only real pain i had during this labor, but every push felt like i was going to split in half.  i turned onto my side, the whole time telling my mw that i thought that after yoru first the pushes should be so easy, she jsut chuckled and told me, its more like after the 4th.  they could tell i was getting closer to actually birthing the baby, so dh got into position to catch the baby.  first came out her hand, which immediately grabbed onto dh's finger, and the next push, was her head and a shoulder, then the second push she was out and i was so happy!!!

she was a little blue, so they were giving her a little oxygen by wavin gthe oxy tube in front of her.  she quickly pinked, and very quickly we realized that she had some bruising around her face, we think she was holding her hand in front of her face while in labor, that's why her hand came out first and why the pushes were so painful.  but, i didn't tear at all.  seh immediatly latched on.  she was great, i was great, my dad brought dd1 in to see the baby, and then we ate lunch, my mw checked me agian, and then left.  the whole labor was about 6 hours and only 10 minutes of pushing. she was 7 pounds, 2 ounces.  Rose Samantha.

i would highly recomend visiting a chiroprator who knows the webster technique.  i woiuld never birth again anywhere without that.  and i would read bithing from within. i found it to be the most helpful prep book.

#28 of 51 Old 12-26-2010, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

I've been thinking about a chiropractor for a while now, how exactly does it help?

#29 of 51 Old 12-26-2010, 06:26 PM

teh webster technique helps relax the tendons and ligaments that hold your uterus in your pelvis.  it helps the baby move into the best position possible. the use it to help turn breech babies, but it helps any baby. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeingamomma View Post

I've been thinking about a chiropractor for a while now, how exactly does it help?

#30 of 51 Old 12-26-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeingamomma View Post

Seeing a good chiropractor will help you your whole preg(and life!) not just for baby positioning. I've been seeing mine for almost two years now and I feel better than ever. I used to have horrible pains in my neck that went down into my arms and hands, but no more! My sciatic is also already giving me trouble but getting adjusted(and she does some extra work there) makes me feel SO much better. My chiro is actually preg now as well(due 6 days before me) and planning her second HB. She's been one of my biggest go-to mamas for support and info. I can not say more positive stuff about chiropractic care.  =)

~Christy, wife to M and mother to M and A, expecting baby #3 in May 2011 Planning our first HBAC!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page