How much of a mess did you make? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 05-12-2002, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I told DH that I was interested in maybe having a homebirth, and he said, "That sounds great, but wouldn't it be a huge mess to clean up?"

How much of a mess is it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 05-12-2002, 11:21 PM

If you choose to homebirth, your midwife or doctor will give you a list of things to buy for the birth. You will use waterproof sheets to protect your bed, and lots of old towels and receiving blankets for you and the baby. It really isn't that messy. If you use a birthing tub there will be even less mess I would think.
#3 of 23 Old 05-13-2002, 12:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't recall there being much mess at all.. you cover everything in the area and my midwife did the cleanup.. threw all the messy sheets and towels in our washer and started it up before she left. She even used peroxide to get a few small blood spots out of our carpet.
#4 of 23 Old 05-13-2002, 01:37 AM

My water leaked with every contraction for most of my labor, so I just carried towels around to sit on or clutch diaper-style.

We bought chux pads (waterproof on one side, absorbent on the other). My midwife & helpers kept fresh ones handy everywhere I went so I'd have a clean surface to sit down on (couch, rocker, bed, birth ball...) These same pads were under me for the actual birth, and did just fine containing the gush of blood that came with the placenta.

Also we made our bed with sheets we love, then covered it with a shower curtain, then covered that with another, dark-colored sheet. That way, once dd and her placenta were born, my helpers just cleared off everything to uncover the bottom set of fresh bedding. We kept a chux pad under my middle to catch any bleeding, and cuddled in to nurse. Very convenient and cozy.

So nothing stained, no real work to do afterward. Just washing all of the towels that got wet between me leaking and getting in and out of the shower and agricultural tub/labor pool.

Midwives plan for this stuff, and I've never know of one to leave a house without taking care of most of it.
Best of luck!!
I can't say enough about how much I recommend homebirth!!!

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

#5 of 23 Old 05-13-2002, 01:47 PM

I did the last bit of my birth at the hospital, so most of the mess was there. Still, one of the student midwives stayed behind at our house and cleaned everything up. She took the top set of sheets off (we also had another set under a waterproof sheet) and put them in the wash. She even rounded up our dishes and put them in the dishwasher! They'll take care of you!
#6 of 23 Old 05-13-2002, 07:58 PM

None to speak of at all. (Aside from the bags of post-birth/lochia pads, of course)
Chux pads, which were thrown in the trash, took care of all of it as far as I know(and as it was my bed, I think I would notice if not
The placenta went into a plastic bag and into the freezer.
Honestly, compared to the mess they make as they get older, it's nothing! LOL! And I think we made a bigger mess MAKING them than having them Kimberly, mom to Forest, 10 and Lily, 2.5
#7 of 23 Old 05-13-2002, 10:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Easier than packing your bags by far!

Stephanie
#8 of 23 Old 05-14-2002, 12:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
We had a couple of old vinyl table cloths (about $2) and picked up a buch of used sheets and towels from friends and goodwill (less than $5 and the baby didn't actually touch these by the way even though the had been washed well before) and a few chux pads. when it was all over, hubby rolled it all up and put it in a large garbage bag for the garbage man to pick up. Done. The bown we caught the placenta in was throw out and was $.25 new. I only bled for three days after and even that wasn't a mess. Really mess is the least of your worries, especially if you stay out of bed.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#9 of 23 Old 05-14-2002, 01:40 PM

I don't remember there being any mess at all. When the birth was over, my midwife threw the few dirty blankets, towels, and perenium compresses into the wash for us, straightened up the bedroom a little bit, and that was that! We also used Chux pads, which came in the birth kit we ordered.
#10 of 23 Old 05-14-2002, 05:00 PM

Hi! I have to agree with all these ladies, there is little mess, and what there is the midwife and chux pads easily take care of...

It could be that you husband has seen some T.V. births, or even some Birth Story episodes that look like a sort of horror film... amniotic sacs that explode liters of fluid in hallways... blood by the cups full on the beds, clothes, hands of caregivers, mom's legs, and of course all over the baby... (if we really lost that much blood in birth, we would be dizzy while pushing!!)

In hospital births, there can be blood everywhere because of the episiotomy, it bleeds quite a bit, enough that what is lost must be estimated into the overall blood loss figure for hemorrhage prevention. If you happen to tear in birth, it is unlikely that the tear would extend into as much muscle as an episiotomy, and that results in less blood loss, which equals less mess overall...

The biggest mess is delivering the placenta, and your midwife will have you do that in a bowl, or on a chux pad so that she can look it over...

Stay home, bathe, shower, eat good food, drink your favorite teas, eat popcorn and watch your favorite movies... walk, talk, rock, and snuggle until the work gets hard- then birth your baby in the position and room of your choice and curl up to nurse and love on your sweetie while everyone takes care of you...

The Lord bless you!
Zoie
#11 of 23 Old 05-14-2002, 07:28 PM

Not much mess- just like everyone else said.

And I still use the bowl that we put the placenta in- its a big stainless steel bowl and it was covered in a plastic bag when it held the placenta. Gave it a good wash and cook with it all the time!

-jeanie
#12 of 23 Old 05-15-2002, 12:19 AM

I used my favorite stainless-steel bowl too!
It felt right to use a vessel I care about.

We also still have the little wash basin my mom used to catch my placenta.
I've always thought it was neat to have around.

#13 of 23 Old 05-15-2002, 02:05 AM

Okay, this is funny because the one thing my husband got sort of stuck on was the placenta bowl. He made me promise it would never be used in the kitchen afterwards. So I bought a really cheap bowl and I use it for gardening now.
#14 of 23 Old 05-15-2002, 11:48 PM

Just chiming in that it's not a mess. Last minute, I chose our couch instead of our birthing tub. I walked over and just plopped down while laboring. My midwife and her assistant just brought over a bunch of chux pads and such, and everything was okay. I did leak a little blood on the couch, but it was washed immediately (by my midwife, I think) and it came right out. A few spots of blood on the carpet came right up with peroxide. Clean up was a snap! Very little mess. :-)
#15 of 23 Old 05-16-2002, 12:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well, mine was the hugest most disgusting mess ever - LOTS of blood, (huge blood clots as well) and vomit and WORSE!!

Still though, it's not like you can't just clean up. I'd recommend getting some sheets that you just plan to throw out, and putting a plastic cover on the mattress.
#16 of 23 Old 05-16-2002, 01:15 AM

I completely forgot about all the puking I did!
Thanks for bringing back THAT memory!

We had some tall, deep plastic containers (from commercial-sized tubs of cream cheese) we kept handy around the house, and during my last few centimeters and transition, I kept my mother busy pouring them out in the toilet and rinsing them, only to use them again. Worked perfectly. (For me, anyway, heh heh heh)

Puking did help me loosen up and dilate, I'll say that much!:

#17 of 23 Old 05-16-2002, 04:13 PM

Oh yeah... vomiting... That was what I used my trash bag lined placenta bucket for... unexpectedly, and boy was I thankful for having it handy- as I was in the birth pool and did not want to have to empty it because of that...!! I tied off the baggie, and hubbie took it away for me and put in a fresh liner...

Isn't birth exciting?

The Lord bless you!
Zoie
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Godsbabycatchers
#18 of 23 Old 05-17-2002, 12:05 AM

I've had three homebirths, and there honestly was hardly any mess. We had a plastic tarp under the birth tub, and a mattress protector under the sheets on the bed, and some towels on the sofa. That was it. For my last birth I had a huge stack of towels, all different sizes, and I only used a few.
#19 of 23 Old 05-23-2002, 10:51 PM

No mess at our house We made up the bed the same way, we used old shower curtain liners under the top set of sheets which we threw away. I lost a lot of blood & my water didn't break until I'd been pushing for a while, so the fluid gushed out & across the bed. Still no mess in the end. Lots of chux pads!!

Best of luck,
#20 of 23 Old 05-27-2002, 08:07 PM

Six homebirths here, and no significant messes. Nothing that couldn't be cleaned up easily. And the great thing is that you can just lay back and nurse your baby, and let hubby and midwives deal with the little mess there is :-)

I love homebirths, I would say 'Go for it!'
#21 of 23 Old 05-28-2002, 04:34 AM

Two homebirths and very little mess. We had a clean set of sheets on the bottom with another set on top and chux pads on top of that. When finished chux pads got thrown out, top sheets went in the washer and a clean bed was waiting for us. I cleaned myself up in the tub. Even with hemmoraghing with dd 1, there wasn't much mess to clean up.

And that's what midwives, friends and family are for!! And they want to help, believe me.

Alison
#22 of 23 Old 05-30-2002, 10:52 AM

Just wanted to chime in with my experience, 3 homebirths, and the midwives always took care of the mess. With my first homebirth, I delivered on my hands and knees right in front the WHITE couch and it somehow escaped any fluids! Also, I used to work as an apprentice and took great pride in leaving a birthing woman's house cleaner than I found it! Be sure to bring up this topic when interviewing midwives, most of them will set your husband's mind at ease.

I just wanted to say that a birth tub does *seem* easier for clean up, but my dh would strongly disagree! Due to an emergency, my midwife and her assitant had to leave before the tub got emptied, so my dh agreed to take care of it. I'd delivered the placenta in the tub, as well as the baby, and he said it was *really* gross (he's a got weak stomach for that sort of thing, though.) There was a pump to drain most of the water, but he still had to scoop out some clots & tissue, a little bit of old meconium that was on the baby, before the liner was light enough to take out.

Anyway, just wanted to say that if that sort of thing bothers you, consider delivering the placenta outside the tub into a chux!
#23 of 23 Old 05-31-2002, 05:59 PM

I'm with Greaseball, mine was messy at the end. No biggie during the delivery but I pumped a ton of blood out in the end... WOW! Oh and the vomit, that was in a bucket or something like that.

Having said that, it was really no big deal. The birthing center had it all cleaned in moments.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page