✳⋅❦⋅❀⋅ALL THE HERBS! And Natural Remedies, Tips, and Tricks! ⋅❀⋅❦⋅✳ - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 02-17-2011, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wondering if I should use Nettle leaves or root in my pregnancy blend?  Same with Dandelion, root or leaf?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 39 Old 02-22-2011, 12:23 PM

My MW recommended dandelion root tea as a gentle diuretic to help with my swollen feet.  I think that dandelion leaves are primarily good for improving digestion (thins the bile, I believe) and for iron content.  I haven't any idea if those benefits are interchangeable (i.e., does the root tea also provide iron content?), but it would probably make sense to find out. 

I used liquid chlorophyll in my last pg to help keep my iron content high, upon my MW's recommendation.  It takes a little getting used to, but once I was accustomed to the flavor I liked it a lot.  I think I put about 2 Tbsp. mixed in a glass of water (good in smoothies too) every day.  It's good to have on hand in case of heavy PP bleeding, too, but I think that using it before labor is supposed to help prevent some of the negative effects of blood loss during birth, too. 

I loved using clary sage essential oil in a burner while in labor -- it really helped strengthen my contractions and keep me calm.  In early labor, I used a few drops in bath water too.  Peppermint oil (one or two drops in the water of the toilet bowl) is supposed to help encourage that first post-partum pee (which can be difficult).  I didn't end up using it for that purpose, but the smell of peppermint oil in a burner was strongly appealing to me in the first few days PP -- don't know why, but since it smelled so good I kept on using it. 

I use red raspberry leaf tea as a uterine tonic and swear by it.  I made it through 3 days of labor with that stuff helping me out.  I make it about 2 qts at a time: I boil about 1/2 cup dried leaves in a saucepan full of water for 10 minutes (usually with a few Tbsp of dried mint, a handful of alfalfa, and/or a few slices of fresh ginger), then turn off the heat and let the whole thing steep for another 1/2 hour or more, then strain it, add sugar (honey totally didn't work for me in this case, it had to be sugar) and throw it in the fridge.  Then I dilute it half-and-half with water and drink it on ice.  It actually tastes good that way, IMO, and I don't much enjoy the flavor of the tea. 

FWIW, I really enjoyed RRL tea popsicles when I was in labor, too -- I added a bit of extra sugar to my iced-tea mixture, then poured it into popsicle molds and stuck 'em in the freezer.  It was one of the few things I could manage to keep down when I was in labor.  They were delicious. 

I used evening primrose oil capsules near the end of my last pg, upon the recommendation of my mw, who suggested that it would help soften scar tissue on my cervix left from a colposcopy a few years ago.  I don't quite remember the dosage - I think I took one capsule by mouth daily starting around 32 weeks, then added a second daily capsule inserted vaginally around 36 weeks.  I usually just poked a hole in the capsule and squeezed out the oil, then applied it to my cervix.  I really did not like the smell of the stuff, but they say it helps.  I suppose it did!  *shrug* I have a different MW this time around, and she also recommends it for the same purpose. 

Not exactly herbal remedies, but I want to put a plug in for prenatal DHA capsules and a good prenatal multivitamin. 

And I think that's everything I've been using! 

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#33 of 39 Old 02-23-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

What's that good book for pregnancy herbals?  I think I want to try to get that from the library.  Or, does anyone know of a trustworthy on-line source of herbal medicine?  Reading about comfrey makes me want to be sure to look this stuff up.  

Do you mean "Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Year" by Susan Weed?

My midwives' tip for preggo heartburn is to chew up raw almonds until your saliva makes a paste with it, then swallow. Or a few spoons of apple cider vinegar.

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#34 of 39 Old 04-04-2012, 09:16 PM

Woah! Awesome thread with lots of good info. Bumping it up for newbies like myself!

RRL fan over here. I had a very fast 1st labor (8 hours ) & my body did exactly as I had hoped. Personally, I am thinking it was the RRL.
I also used EPO in the end, and had a successful " induction " with Castor oil at 42 weeks.
The best thing after birth was aloe Vera, witch hazel, and lavender frozen pads.
So fantastic, especially since it was the middle of summer.
I purchased Arnica for after pains because I had heard it might help, however I enjoyed the ibuprofen better.

Let's keep this thread going! So helpful!

#35 of 39 Old 04-08-2012, 08:13 PM

Subbing

So this is bliss! Proud mama to Katie, born gently at home 10/4/09, wife to my nursing student hubby (LPN down, RN here we come!), and coming in September....Katie's little brother!
#36 of 39 Old 04-28-2012, 09:28 PM

:) Subbing!

treehugger.gifHappy Vegetarian Gal and geek.gif Techie Man-   heartbeat.gifNewly Wed!!!heartbeat.gif  Expecting "Albi" Christmas 2012 diaper.gif

Looking forward to homebirth.jpgbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIF fuzmalesling.gif cd.gif

#37 of 39 Old 05-05-2012, 02:34 PM

Subbing! lurk.gif

Kellylady.gif, married to the love of my life, Denpeace.gif , DD1 5/07dust.gif , 11/07, DD2 10/08modifiedartist.gif , DDS 8/10jammin.gif, expecting our next blessing this winter!

#38 of 39 Old 05-05-2012, 04:00 PM

notes.gif

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#39 of 39 Old 06-17-2012, 02:50 PM

In response to questions on comfrey and witch hazel:

These are both great sitz bath herbs, and are used in their whole plant form (so not the facial toner, which is witch hazel bark steeped in some kind of alcohol.) 

and for sitz baths, it's easier to steep the comfrey leaves in hot water, otherwise you'd have to simmer the roots. and it's the bark of the witch hazel tree, which does steep well in hot water.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page