✳⋅❦⋅❀⋅ALL THE HERBS! And Natural Remedies, Tips, and Tricks! ⋅❀⋅❦⋅✳ - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 12-29-2010, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Location: Basking In the Chaos of 4 Small Children Who Call Me Mom
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I thought it would be helpful to have a compilation of all those Herbal and homeopathic, natural and Healthy Goodies we love. So please add What Ever you like and what they are used for, what they help with...

For Instance, What type of herbs or teas would or have you added to Sitz Baths? Or to Freeze on Pads for Post Partum?

PLEASE SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH RESCUE REMEDY AS I AM VERY INTERESTED. Where, When, Did you use it?

My Midwife Suggest I take Red Raspberry Leaf tea throughout Pregnancy. I stand by It's effectiveness as a Uterine Toner. With My First Baby I had A Lot of Post Partum Bleeding. But I took RRL Tea with my 2nd starting around 34-35 Weeks and Had VERY LIGHT Bleeding. It was wonderful. Also My Labor was faster as a result of Contractions being more effective I believe.

She Also Suggested Alfalfa Tea for the Vitamin K Later in the Pregnancy. Please Share our Experience with this.

Also, any Natural Tips and Tricks, Like For Instance, I know that it's been said adding 1 Economic Size Bottle Of Hydrogen Peroxide to the wash gets out all the blood from your Birth Linens.

I Have Heard Honey is Good for Tearing 'Down There'. But Isn't that Super Sticky and 'Gooky' Feeling?It's also suppose to be a great source of quick energy especially during labor.confused.gifgrossedout.gif

GINGER in all it's forms is really good for Nausea and  Digestion, and Circulation too I believe.

Coconut Water (Chlorophyll) is an excellent source of hydration During labor as it's molecules are as close as you can get to human blood before resorting to vampirism!

Please add Yours Everyone!

IdentityCrisisMama likes this.

Brittanyfly-by-nursing2.gif Wife to Cedricblowkiss.gif (heartbeat.gif4-9-05heartbeat.gif) Mommy to: Gideon Edmundsuperhero.gifG.E.M.(2-1-07)stillheart.gif

Miscarried Isabelle Aurora2ndtri.gif I.A.M. (12-12-08) Lorelei Ariahwool.gifL.A.M.(1-14-10)stillheart.gif  Youtube.com/user/murillomania

Tabitha Ivy Esperanza babyf.gifT.I.E.M.(7-17-11) My First h20homebirth.gif  stillheart.gifPhineas Alexander Lyric babyboy.gifP.A.L.M.(3-30-13) rainbow1284.gifuc.jpg

#2 of 39 Old 12-29-2010, 04:11 PM

Do they sell cocunut water in regular bottles?  I've didn't know it existed I'll get some if it's easy to find.

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
#3 of 39 Old 12-29-2010, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

I never heard of it until I came here. I found it on Amazon.com. I know stores sell coconut milk, but that's not the same thing. I use coconut milk in healthy shakes though. Really yummy.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_13?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=coconut+water&sprefix=coconut+water

Brittanyfly-by-nursing2.gif Wife to Cedricblowkiss.gif (heartbeat.gif4-9-05heartbeat.gif) Mommy to: Gideon Edmundsuperhero.gifG.E.M.(2-1-07)stillheart.gif

Miscarried Isabelle Aurora2ndtri.gif I.A.M. (12-12-08) Lorelei Ariahwool.gifL.A.M.(1-14-10)stillheart.gif  Youtube.com/user/murillomania

Tabitha Ivy Esperanza babyf.gifT.I.E.M.(7-17-11) My First h20homebirth.gif  stillheart.gifPhineas Alexander Lyric babyboy.gifP.A.L.M.(3-30-13) rainbow1284.gifuc.jpg

#4 of 39 Old 12-29-2010, 05:28 PM

Subbing and notes2.gif

I know a few so I will be back to share, soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeingamomma View Post

Do they sell cocunut water in regular bottles?  I've didn't know it existed I'll get some if it's easy to find.

They have them in boxes, like they put kids lunch drinks in (not juice with straws) at the Shoprite by me, but I yet really LOOKED ... perhaps at a Whole Foods, Trader Joe's or a health food store. :D

To be honest that stuff is kinda icky to me, but I still want to have some with me for labor.

#5 of 39 Old 12-29-2010, 05:50 PM

hmm if it tastes icky I could put it in my blender with some frozen fruit for a smoothie perhaps

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
#6 of 39 Old 12-29-2010, 07:38 PM

Do some research on coconut water, milk and oil, there is recent findings of pesticides/fungicides (powerful chemical stuff there!) in any coconut product  shipped from Thailand (which is where all of the ones where I'm at are shipped from, even if they're canned locally) and also a few other areas.  I don't have links now but can come back to post.  Or you can google.   The studies have proven that fungicides leak straight thru the coco husks and into the milk and into the coconut meat,  via a food coloring tests.  Thats enough to make me want to seek out local organic growers.  I hate the fact of having to do that but thats a fight I'm living on other levels like signing petitions and attending natural food rights rallies, etc...;

I lived in Florida with my own couple of coco trees in my yard that produced so much more then we could use per season.  I suggest hooking up with people on a FL local board or Craigslist or somewhere pure to get your coconuts.  For a price they would ship them to you, for sure.  I would have, I had no idea at the time what a gold mine I was living with, they were simply my babies of the gardens!  

onlyAngil likes this.

"When the external begins to define the internal, instead of the internal defining the external, one begins living as a mortal rather than as a universal being." ~ unknown
#7 of 39 Old 12-29-2010, 11:22 PM

this iam very intersted  in knowing more about

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#8 of 39 Old 12-30-2010, 07:06 AM

I take a red raspberry leaf, red clover, nettle, and yellow dock tincture every day as a general pregnancy tonic and iron builder.

~Rose

#9 of 39 Old 01-12-2011, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseRedHoofbeats View Post

I take a red clover, nettle, and yellow dock tincture every day as a general pregnancy tonic and iron builder.

~Rose

What are those good for?

#10 of 39 Old 01-13-2011, 06:52 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)

I have had good success with evening "restless leg" and/or just that kind of awake feeling in muscles by taking magnesium citrate. I have the Solgar brand and take one tab, so 200 mg.  

Ginger is my go to for all kinds of things - stomach upset & any kind of congestion, sore throat and etc.  Plus, it's just a yummy tea - great for guests because most people around where I live don't seem to drink it so it's a treat.  I don't even peel the ginger - just slice and simmer.  

Though I still find it relatively unpleasant, I do use the netti pot with a bit of salt and/baking soda. 

I am using RRL with the hopes that it improves labor.  We'll see.  I plan to use EPO as well, again, I'll have to let you know after labor how that goes.  

My MW requires us to buy an tincture for afterpains called Afterease.  I assume if she requires it that she has good faith in its effectiveness. 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#11 of 39 Old 01-13-2011, 07:21 AM

For a post-partum squirt bottle to use after (or during) using the potty:

St. John's Wort, Calendula, and Rosemary:  Tho' any combination of a tissue healer, anti-infective, and anti-inflammatory would work, these all smell good.  Make a strong decoction (several tablespoons of each in a cloth bag, into a pot of boiled and very hot water, allow to cool to room temp, apply directly... ahhhh.

If you don't tear, it makes nice compresses for burns, itchies, bug bites, etc. 

So say the wise women!  thumb.gif

Mamma to Amelia (8/13/2006) Henry (7/28/2008), and Arthur (1/15/2011)
#12 of 39 Old 01-13-2011, 01:26 PM

BTW, Spearmint makes RRL tea go down MUCH easier!  You can hardly taste the bitterness...

thankful85 likes this.

#13 of 39 Old 01-13-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

BTW, Spearmint makes RRL tea go down MUCH easier!  You can hardly taste the bitterness...

I mix mint with my nettle/RRL tea...can't stomach it otherwise.

Mama to DD (1/2004)  DS1 (5/2006) and DS2 (2/4/2011)

#14 of 39 Old 01-21-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:

I mix mint with my nettle/RRL tea...can't stomach it otherwise.

I've used the Good Earth brand of RRL/Nettle tea, which has mint, lemon verbena and a few other things mixed in and the taste is delicious to me (and I'm fairly picky about my tea) hot or cold. If you're mixing in mint you could try adding a little lemon juice and icing the tea after it steeps.

familybed1.gifwife and helpmate todp_malesling.GIF  mommy to Caileigh dust.gif  lactivist.gif  saynovax.gif
#15 of 39 Old 01-21-2011, 05:32 PM

Coconut water is awesome!  It's a really good source of potassium & magnesium and there are some studies showing it can help lower blood pressure.  I like the taste of it, but I like coconut. :)

For me, afterease has never really worked and I tend to opt for ibuprofen for afterpains.

I like chia seeds for omegas, protein & fiber.  IMO better than flax because they don't have to be ground and they're hydrophyllic so they help you stay hydrated too.

treehugger.gif Kat- mama to 6 little trees
#16 of 39 Old 01-21-2011, 08:57 PM

I am taking Rutin for varicose veins to help with circulation.  It seems to help, although I can not say for sure.  I also plan to take Vitamin E and/or Evening Primrose Oil the last month of pregnancy.  Right now I am using the Evening Primrose Oil on the my c-section scar for elasticity.  It has been suggested that I take 5W, but I am not sure I will.... kind of worries me.  Also, it has been recommended that I drink 2 Tbsp of Chlorophyll three times a day.  Well, I bought it... smells awful, so I am holding out until the final weeks of the pregnancy or if I start to feel tired and anemic or test positive for anemia.  I will have a full bottle on hand during the birth.  In the event of significant blood loss my midwife says she will want me to drink the whole bottle.  I have heard that Afterease works great for afterbirth pains, but this same person says she also took ibuprofen for general pain.... using both can't hurt.  ;)  I have been told that you want the dry herbs for a sitz bath or for putting in your peri-bottle. 

ANYBODY USE ARNICA FOR PAIN RELIEF?  I am wondering how effective it is?

#17 of 39 Old 01-22-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlethingstx View Post

I am taking Rutin for varicose veins to help with circulation.  It seems to help, although I can not say for sure.

PLEASE be extremely careful using Rutin or anything with containing it!

It is very powerful and can have poor side effects to thous wishing to keep a fetus in the first weeks of pregnancy - by herbally inducing a miscarriage - or wanting to have their bodies induce labor naturally in the last weeks of pregnancy - by herbally inducing labor.

http://www.sisterzeus.com/ERC_Rutin.html
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5475358/rutin_and_pregnancy_safety_considerations.html?cat=25

I am in no way saying 'do not use it'... just BE CAREFUL!

#18 of 39 Old 01-22-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlethingstx View Post

ANYBODY USE ARNICA FOR PAIN RELIEF?  I am wondering how effective it is?

Arnica was really popular in one place that I lived (even prescribed by doctors) and I've known lots of friends who use it.  I, OTOH, have tried it both in little homeopathic balls and in creams and etc. for swelling and injuries and stuff and have never seen results.  I know it's considered to be effective - it's just not something I, personally, am going to spend any more money on.  

#19 of 39 Old 01-22-2011, 03:49 PM

Yes, I ditto the caution against Rutin.

I thought of another of my favs during pregnancy~ hemp seed powder.  

treehugger.gif Kat- mama to 6 little trees
#20 of 39 Old 02-01-2011, 05:34 AM

I'm about to gather some supplies to make some home remedies but have a few questions.  

1.  Witch Hazel: Do they mean the stuff you get from the drug store or something you make from the actual plant?  

2.  Comfrey: Are they/you talking about the root or the leaves?  

3.  Shepherd's Purse: I want to have some around for possible PPH.  I've got some dried herb but am not sure if it would be best to make a tincture or just keep it dry and drink a tea. Maybe both?  

#21 of 39 Old 02-01-2011, 08:22 AM

For all of those, it depends on what you're using it for and how.

~Rose

#22 of 39 Old 02-01-2011, 08:27 AM

ETA: sorry, I think I'm getting threads mixed up.  

Witch hazel and/or comfery tea for frozen PP pads.

Comferey for sitz bath 

Shepherds Purse used for PP hemorrhage.  

#23 of 39 Old 02-01-2011, 10:21 AM

Use comfrey leaves for both of those and yes, they mean a tea made from the actual bark. For the shepherd's purse, it's really much more effective if you can make a tincture from the fresh plant- the whole thing, stems, leaves, and flowers. It can be hard to get a hold of if you can't pick it in the wild, but it's a common enough weed in North America.

~Rose

#24 of 39 Old 02-01-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:

Use comfrey leaves for both of those and yes, they mean a tea made from the actual bark. 

I must be having a dense moment - I've never heard of the bark (only root and leaves).  So it's the leaves you make the tea with?  Any idea what the root is used for?  

#25 of 39 Old 02-01-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:

Use comfrey leaves for both of those and yes, they mean a tea made from the actual bark. For the shepherd's purse, it's really much more effective if you can make a tincture from the fresh plant- the whole thing, stems, leaves, and flowers. It can be hard to get a hold of if you can't pick it in the wild, but it's a common enough weed in North America.

~Rose

Regarding the Shepherd's Purse:  I am buying mine through www.inhishands.com when I order my birthing kit.  It did not come up under the search, but I think it is listed in their herbal section under tinctures.  They also sell the dried herb version if you want to make it yourself. 

#26 of 39 Old 02-01-2011, 12:02 PM

That's a great site - good prices and reasonable quantities.  I already got some Shepherd's Purse from my local HFS and I'll probably make a small amount of tincture and keep the rest for tea if need be.  

I've been trying to do some reading on the difference btw. comfery root and leaf and it's difficult to find a major distinction.  Rose Mountain Herbs says the active ingredients in the root is stronger than the leaf.  I notice your site sells both.  

Maybe I could also order a good herbal book from the library.  

#27 of 39 Old 02-01-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Use comfrey leaves for both of those and yes, they mean a tea made from the actual bark. 

I must be having a dense moment - I've never heard of the bark (only root and leaves).  So it's the leaves you make the tea with?  Any idea what the root is used for?  

Oops. I meant witch hazel bark!

The leaves should be used for external use for wound care. The root should be used for consumption.

~Rose

#28 of 39 Old 02-01-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Oops. I meant witch hazel bark!

The leaves should be used for external use for wound care. The root should be used for consumption.

~Rose

Of comfrey?  

Rose Mountain Herbs lists comfrey root as something that should not be taken internally:

"Because comfrey may contain PAs, which have caused cancer and liver damage in animal studies, and because the root contains it in higher concentration than the leaves, internal use is not suggested." 

"There is a great deal of preliminary evidence that supports the traditional use of comfrey root as a topical application to speed healing, stop bleeding, prevent infection and relieve pain."

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/learn/comfrey_root.php

What's that good book for pregnancy herbals?  I think I want to try to get that from the library.  Or, does anyone know of a trustworthy on-line source of herbal medicine?  Reading about comfrey makes me want to be sure to look this stuff up.  

#29 of 39 Old 02-01-2011, 02:51 PM

Here is my PSA re: witch hazel.  

I've been reading on the Rose Mountain herbs sight and this is what they say about their witch hazel extract: 

"Commercial Witch Hazel extracts usually contain more alcohol than actual Witch Hazel, and have only been distilled once. However, the line offered by Mountain Rose Herbs leads in both quality and potency. Our true Witch Hazel extract has been double distilled, and contains 86% Witch Hazel extract and only 14% alcohol."  

I realized that I have two different brands of witch hazel in the house - one from the local HFS and one from a discount store (Family Dollar).  I decided to check the witch hazel/alcohol content of both and compare to the Rose Mountain brand.  All three brands have 14% alcohol and 86% witch hazel.  

#30 of 39 Old 02-02-2011, 06:23 PM

I have been drinking this tea:

http://www.endeavorsin.com/home/nora-tea.html

We'll see in a few months if it works I guess!

Bridget born 6/10/08 by C Section
Grant born 4/15/11 HBAC turned CBAC

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page