Children's book about homebirth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-03-2011, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We're planning our first homebirth and are very excited to have our two-year-old participate.  Does anyone have recommendations for a children's book about homebirth?  As a childbirth educator, I have plenty of books/videos/charts about birth...and my son enjoys them all...but I would love a simple picture book about babies being born at home.  :-)

As a side note, I'm going to create a Shutterfly book about my son's experience with the story and photos from his pregnancy, labor, birth, and firsts.  I think it will be a nice way for him to feel special, prepare for his sibling, and also have a little momento to keep.  Has anyone done this with their children, and if so, do you have tips for what they liked best?

Thanks, all, for your feedback!

Crunchy mama to DS (born 10/08) and DD (born 07/11).  I'm also a childbirth educator, birth doula, and urban homesteading hopeful.  chicken3.gif

#2 of 5 Old 01-03-2011, 01:46 PM

"Welcome with Love" is my favorite homebirth children's book

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
#3 of 5 Old 01-05-2011, 10:56 AM

My midwife lent us "Hello Baby" by Jenni Overend, and my 2.5  year old loved it... especially the page where you can see the baby coming out!

http://www.amazon.com/Hello-Baby-Jenni-Overend/dp/1845070232

#4 of 5 Old 01-05-2011, 11:09 AM

FYI, those two books are the same book with different titles.

It's the only one I know of.  Our library had it.  I ended up buying it at a book sale later because I liked it.

Tjej

#5 of 5 Old 01-05-2011, 11:12 AM

there is a book called "a chair for always" it tells the story of a little girl waiting for her cousin's birth.  they live in the same house, so she talks about the homebirth and midwife coming, btu they don't show the labor or anything. lots of "after the baby was born we..."  it isn't necessarily informative or tells what to expect, but definately normalizes it for kids who only have heard of hospital births.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page