so, where in your home did you give birth? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 01-09-2011, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

we have a large bedroom, so we had the birth tub set up in the bedroom.  I did birth my DS in the birthtub, but I was laboring all over the upstairs of the house.  I have a good friend who had the birth tub set up, but ended up birthing by the front door right next to where all the shoes were piled.  I think it is good to have a loose plan in your head, where you want to set up a tub if you are using one... but also be flexible to just be where ever you end up!

best.

Ema to my dear son (inseminated at home with frozen donor sperm) born on 6/25/10. h20homebirth.gifnocirc.gif selectivevax.gif familybed1.gif femalesling.GIF bftoddler.gif cd.gifWife to my dear partner.  rainbow1284.gif goorganic.jpg  hang.gif  sewmachine.gif   blogging.jpg.

#32 of 48 Old 01-09-2011, 11:33 AM

One of the great things about home birth is that you can move around as much as you like. My clients usually move through the house quite a bit as labor progresses.  I try to guess where I think they might actually birth and set my equipment up there, but I frequently grab my stuff and move it.  Sometimes I move it several times before she finally settles on her favorite spot!  There are no rules, and you can birth anywhere you want to. I would say to not worry about it ahead of time, and just let your instinct guide you in the moment.

Best of luck, and I hope you have an amazing and lovely birth!

Sommer

#33 of 48 Old 01-10-2011, 12:31 PM

I didn't think about it ahead of time. I just went with the flow and had chux pads and towels available. I ended up giving birth in my living room.

~Attatchment and Natural Parent from instincts not from books to my 2 boys~ Childbirth Educator & Placental Encapsulation Professional
homeschool.gif familybed2.gif homebirth.jpgribbonpb.gif
#34 of 48 Old 01-10-2011, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Master Bedroom

It had room for the tub and is across the hall from the only bathroom in the house.  It made for a nice little birthing room though because I could have really low light, my music all set up, and could use either the bed or the tub as I wanted.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#35 of 48 Old 01-10-2011, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

1st birth was on a birthing stool in the living room, after laboring almost the entire time in the birthing tub -- like some of the other mamas, when it was almost time to push I H A D to get out of the water and on to solid ground. I liked the birthing stool because it felt like I was on the toilet, another thing some of the mamas mentioned. The squatting feeling felt good because pushing to me felt like a huge poo trying to come out lol

This time I keep having visions of laboring/birthing alone (or with dh) in our front bathroom, because it's small and windowless and feels really safe and private, almost like a cave-like setting (in a good way). That may change though whilst in the moment, so I'm just going with how I feel at the time.

Christ-centered loving wife & mama to 2 unschooled miracles! One & one . We live simply and mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015 Praying for another
#36 of 48 Old 01-11-2011, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumble Bumbles View Post

1st birth was on a birthing stool in the living room, after laboring almost the entire time in the birthing tub -- like some of the other mamas, when it was almost time to push I H A D to get out of the water and on to solid ground. I liked the birthing stool because it felt like I was on the toilet, another thing some of the mamas mentioned. The squatting feeling felt good because pushing to me felt like a huge poo trying to come out lol

This time I keep having visions of laboring/birthing alone (or with dh) in our front bathroom, because it's small and windowless and feels really safe and private, almost like a cave-like setting (in a good way). That may change though whilst in the moment, so I'm just going with how I feel at the time.

So funny....the only specific "what does it feel like to give birth" answer that I ever received prior to having my daughter was from my ex-SIL who in her very own straightforward way told me "It's like you are taking the biggest poo of your life!" At the time I was thought she was just trying to be funny, and then after the birth I said to my husband...."you know she was right!"

#37 of 48 Old 01-11-2011, 10:22 PM
rad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

First 4 babies were born on my bed. The 5th I was kneeling next to the bed. The 6th came so much quicker than expected that he was born on the bathroom floor. I actually found I spent most of my time in the bathroom, either the tub, shower or toilet. Or just standing by the counter. I could actually make it to the bedroom the first 5 but not with the last.

Rachel , wifey to best friend Karl ,
SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

#38 of 48 Old 01-12-2011, 08:06 AM

Birth tub in my kitchen/breakfast nook.  :D  We moved the table out...

#39 of 48 Old 01-12-2011, 02:03 PM

First time was in the birthing pool in my tiny 11x11 ft bedrrom. The pool was literally wedged inbetween the wall and the end of my queen bed. lol. 2nd time we had the same set up with pool and bed, but due to meconium MW had me climb out of the pool onto the bed to finishing birthing on the bed.

Mama to DD(6) DS(4) DD(2.5)LO(due July 2012): and loving wife to my great DH
I praise and thank God for my familychicken3.gif

#40 of 48 Old 01-12-2011, 02:13 PM

Another master bedroom birth here - I labored in my kitchen for awhile amongst my DD and my parents...and because I was FAMISHED and wanted to stuff my face : ) When things heated up I went up to our bedroom which was prepared; we had the bed covered in white cheap sheets (with plastic underneath) and the floor (carpet, WHITE carpet eeeeh) was covered in towels/plastic (no blood or mess on anything!) and we have a bathroom with tub/shower off bathroom. I labored on the bed/on all fours/in shower until I finally gave birth on the said white rug. But it was lovely, and yes very cozy to have that room as my "birth center" with everything I needed right there 

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#41 of 48 Old 01-14-2011, 08:31 AM

We are in the middle of re-doing our little farmhouse so I just recently had new flooring put down....if you want to see a funny reaction from the salespeople at your local home store, just ask them what carpet choices they offer that will weather muddy feet, pets and the birthing process the best! : )

#42 of 48 Old 01-14-2011, 05:50 PM

1st, 2nd and 3rd all in my bedroom (though 3rd could have easily been bathroom cos i was insistent that i just needed to poo lol)
4th living room in the birth pool smile.gif

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

#43 of 48 Old 01-14-2011, 06:26 PM

On the floor of my kitchen in front of my stove.

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

#44 of 48 Old 01-14-2011, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Because I had a waterbirth last time and the only place the tub would fit was the living room, I gave birth in the living room! This go around, I'm planning a land birth. Whenever I visualize the birth, I see it happening in my bedroom, but I am also open to the possibility of it happening more or less where ever it happens. I was not/am not planning on it happening a certain way, I just let my mind wander when I first started thinking about the birth and squatting at the edge of my bed is where my mind went and has gone to ever since.

The only "plan" I have in place is that I refuse to give birth on the toilet!! I know women have done it and that there's nothing wrong with it, I just refuse to birth there!! lol.gif Lucky for me my mw has a birthing stool so should I decide I like the way the toilet feels when I use the bathroom at some point, I can just use her stool. orngtongue.gif

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

#45 of 48 Old 01-27-2011, 03:49 PM

My midwives suggested making up a bedroll kinda thing- I laid out a bunch of very clean blankets & sleeping bags and rolled them up, stuck them in a corner, so I could have padding ready if I wanted to labor or deliver anyplace, the kitchen floor or whatever. 

As it turned out, I labored some in the living room, kneeling on the couch and holding onto the back of the couch, also a similar position knees on the floor, leaning/laying on the seat of the sofa. I got in & out of the bathtub several times, but wanted my bed when it got intense. Baby was born in my bed.

#46 of 48 Old 01-27-2011, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

The toilet.

DD1 was born on the toilet (in the hospital) by accident. Basically, I went to pee, and she fell out.

With DD2, the homebirth, I was pushing kneeling against the bed, and it just didn't feel terribly effective. So I said "Forget this", got on the toilet, and she fell out.

Made for a pretty easy cleanup, too.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#47 of 48 Old 01-28-2011, 08:04 PM

With DS I was in the bathroom, I went straight into active labor(no early labor at all!) which woke me up from the bed and sent me to the bathroom and I couldn't move from in there..so I did a swat and standing thing for the pushing stage. With DD(2nd child), different apt., I was in the living room hands and knees...I am assuming this third one will be in the living room too as we don't have much places in this apt. to go.

#48 of 48 Old 02-01-2011, 07:59 PM

I labored everywhere. We live in a 3 bed appt so it isn't like I was in a huge space. DS went to my sister's house as soon as it started. Then I spent time in my bed, in the shower, on the toilet, in the front room on a birth ball, in the recliner, and in a birth tub set up in the kitchen. I was in labor for 24 hours. :) I ended up giving birth on a birth stool between the kitchen and front room. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page