If things didn't go perfect at your last HB, did/will you attempt another? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 01-08-2011, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm fertile again, and while we are not trying and are avoiding pregnancy (via charting), I keep thinking about when and if we get pregnant again, if we'll have another HB. We transferred twice in DS's delivery (once in labor for bradycardia) and after for PPH due to retained placenta. All in all, I"m so happy I had my HBAC, DS was perfect, and I'm so happy with the way my MWs handled the situations. So happy, I couldn't have asked for better healthCARE. Love them. 

But I wonder if it could happen again and if I should consider the possiblity of a hospital birth again. I don't want that, I'd love another HB, but minus the hemmorage, of course.

Has anyone else had a HB with complications/transferred and then went on to plan another HB? If not, why?

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#2 of 41 Old 01-09-2011, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am still in early pregnancy, but I am tentatively planning a homebirth again. For my last birth, I had to transfer to the hospital because my waters were broken for more than 24 hours.  I have my first appointment with my midwife on Tuesday and I want to have a long talk with her about everything that happened last time and process it.  I am not 100% that I want to attempt homebirth this time, because the transfer was so rough. I plan to meditate on it and see if the answer becomes clear later in pregnancy.  Good luck to you!

Lovestruck luxlove.gif mama to Girlie #1 energy.gifand Girlie #2 on the way!
#3 of 41 Old 01-09-2011, 01:25 PM

We transferred with our last HB for exhaustion after a loooong labor.  DH was never happy about the HB -- we fought about it all the way through our last pregnancy -- and he was particularly nervous about trying it again after our transfer experience.  We're planning a hospital birth with a MW this time, and I think it'll be ok (she comes well-recommended  by our HB MW and the hospital is really good at natural birth). 

Part of the reason for choosing a hospital birth is anxiety that my labor will be long and hard like the last one, and that I'll end up needing to transfer again.  I was NOT happy with my transfer experience, in general, though it could have been much worse. 

Most of the reason for choosing the hospital this time is really DH, though.  It's nice not having to do battle with him every single time the question of birth comes up.  I don't have energy for that fight a second time around.  The whole experience of this pregnancy has been more gentle and calm as a result.  And I'm feeling a bit relieved, honestly, to avoid some of the hassles of the HB prep that we went through last time.  I still wish I could have my gentle, peaceful HB... but I think it won't happen as long as DH is the father of the baby. 

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#4 of 41 Old 01-09-2011, 03:08 PM

I have  not experienced this, but my good friend had a hb and a hemmorage that resulted in transfer.  With her next baby, she was worried about hemmorage again, so she went to a free standing birth center that was right by a hospital (thinking that at least transfer would be more seamless). She didn't have any problems with that birth and went on to have two more children at home after that. I know in her case, she was initially worried that a hemmorage was inevitable. In her case, it turned out not to be.

As far as that's concerned, I will say that I had "excessive bleeding" with my first baby, but not with my subsequent 3.  No rhyme or reason either.  It wasn't so severe that I had to be transferred, but it made me realize that most of the time, each birth is different and you have to go with what brings you the most peace and confidence. Best of luck in figuring out where to birth.

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
#5 of 41 Old 01-09-2011, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

My first was a long, excruciating back labor. (transition with my 2nd was what the entire labor felt like with my first.. UGH!) We decided to transfer about 24 hours *after* I was fully dilated. I really, really didn't want to go to the hospital. I ended up with a c-section due to dd's position. 

tried again with the 2nd for hbac, and was successful. He had shoulder dystocia and required resuscitation. After being given a little time, he perked up and was fine. No transfer necessary.

I will, no question, have future babies at home. I do not see how being in a hospital would be any better in the possible, 10% chance of recurrence, SD. I do, however, see how being in a hospital would make it SO much worse. (caving for an epi in transition, not being able to get on all 4s, episiotomy, cord cutting, etc) 

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#6 of 41 Old 01-09-2011, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comtessa View Post
Most of the reason for choosing the hospital this time is really DH, though.  It's nice not having to do battle with him every single time the question of birth comes up.  I don't have energy for that fight a second time around.  The whole experience of this pregnancy has been more gentle and calm as a result.  And I'm feeling a bit relieved, honestly, to avoid some of the hassles of the HB prep that we went through last time.  I still wish I could have my gentle, peaceful HB... but I think it won't happen as long as DH is the father of the baby. 

We were astounded by how we were treated at the hospital. Now, I'm sure most of that was because we were a HB transfer, but my DH could not get over it, he still talks about it (he's from overseas). I don't think he would ever prefer another hospital birth over a HB, unless it was an emergency case, so I wont have to fight that battle. 

I can completely relate with you feeling relieved though, it took a bit of prep for the HB and then there was the worry of paying for the birth and delivering in the hospital in the end...

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemademom View Post

I have  not experienced this, but my good friend had a hb and a hemmorage that resulted in transfer.  With her next baby, she was worried about hemmorage again, so she went to a free standing birth center that was right by a hospital (thinking that at least transfer would be more seamless). She didn't have any problems with that birth and went on to have two more children at home after that. I know in her case, she was initially worried that a hemmorage was inevitable. In her case, it turned out not to be.

As far as that's concerned, I will say that I had "excessive bleeding" with my first baby, but not with my subsequent 3.  No rhyme or reason either.  It wasn't so severe that I had to be transferred, but it made me realize that most of the time, each birth is different and you have to go with what brings you the most peace and confidence. Best of luck in figuring out where to birth.

Wow that is so good to hear that PPH wasn't reoccurring with you or your friend. Definitely something I'll be researching in either case. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post
I will, no question, have future babies at home. I do not see how being in a hospital would be any better in the possible, 10% chance of recurrence, SD. I do, however, see how being in a hospital would make it SO much worse. (caving for an epi in transition, not being able to get on all 4s, episiotomy, cord cutting, etc) 

And I keep reminding myself of why I wanted to HB last time and they all override my 'what if' feeling. God how I'd hate to be pinned to the bed, monitored constantly, and be told what to do and when to do it! 

THanks ladies for giving me considerations...

I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#7 of 41 Old 01-10-2011, 04:34 AM

Quick hx...my first was a c-section after 24 hours of labor and 2 hours of pushing...I would have been better off at home without all the interventions!  Second was a repeat c-section (selfish reasons and lack of education), third was a med-free hospital birth thanks to an amazing midwife who waived all the usual monitoring, checks, etc.  My fourth was a homebirth with shoulder dystocia but thankfully NO issues once delivered.  I'm now pregnant with my 5th and of course terrified of another SD after reading what "could" have gone wrong.  But that will in no way deter me from having another homebirth!  I wouldn't want it any other way.

IBCLC, student midwife, and co-sleeping, delayed/no vax, extended breastfeeding, homeschooling Momma to M(8), A(6), R(4)vbac.gifafter 2 c/s, J(2) hbac.gifand M (09/11)nocirc.gif

#8 of 41 Old 01-10-2011, 06:34 AM

Yes -- my 4th child was born at home and then I transported for pph/retained placenta. I was incredibly devastated by the situation. When I got pregnant with #5, I planned another homebirth, even though I was really nervous. My midwife and I talked about it at length, and I encouraged her to be very conservative with my blood loss, to avoid another transport.

On Christmas I gave birth to my 5th at home, and it was PERFECT. Honestly, the birth could not have been better. 

Here's a link to my birth story.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#9 of 41 Old 01-10-2011, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)

I had a transfer as well and am planning another HB.  All in all I found the process of transfer fine - it felt to me the way things "should" be.  I think I could have stayed at home and been fine but the circumstances under which I transferred were reasonable to me.  I never really looked at it as a "failed" HB, in fact, I looked at it as the way birth in my area should work in most cases - try for home and then if  need be used additional services, yk?  

I did end up with a bit of retained something and, ironically (or not ; -))  , it was my HB MW who acknowledged it.  She helped me expel the placenta right there in the hospital all while the doctor insisted that my uterus was shrinking just fine.  I got a bag of blood from the hospital that, although I didn't need it for survival, helped me recover far quicker so I was happy for that as well.  

I am a bit worried about PPH and want to try some things at home to prevent it from happening again.  

Anyway, although I didn't consider switching to the hospital this time around, I think I can still relate to some of what you all are feeling.  

Youngfrankenstein likes this.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#10 of 41 Old 01-10-2011, 10:25 AM

I transferred for poor fetal heart tones with my first. If I can convince DH to TTC #2 I'll be planning another homebirth. The transfer wasn't awful. My MW's backup took us and she was really wonderful. But I would have given my left arm (the one with the #@$*! IV in it) to be home in my own bed without people poking and prodding me every couple of hours.

#11 of 41 Old 01-10-2011, 10:41 AM

Everything turned out ok but I wasn't completely satisfied with how things turned out with my midwife.

I am not planning another child (not because of birth trauma, though) but DH and I have sometimes discussed "would we do it again?" Frankly, my answer is utterly from the gut and not the head - no matter any points that I might consider in favor of a hospital birth, I just couldn't do it, not as Plan A anyway. I would feel so stressed and like everything was a battle. I went nicely into laborland with DD, and I don't think I could risk that at the hospital (for fear of missing something that a nurse or a doctor said they wanted to do) and that would be just excruciating. Plus I'd be stressed anyway since I have hearing and vision disabilities and would be constantly anxious about what I was missing, some clue that they were going to do something invasive (and would of course never ask me my permission for). I just don't have it in me to deal with all that, not unless it was a transfer.

All I can say is that if I did it again, I would be a lot more skilled at interviewing potential midwives. But while I would hope to trust my chosen midwife very much, DH and I now know that we are 110% responsible for our children, and if we're not happy with something, we don't care if it's a midwife or a doctor or the Pope, we will take matters into our own hands. Which is something I can live with, definitely.

Short answer is, yes, I'd do another homebirth.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#12 of 41 Old 01-10-2011, 11:40 AM

I just want to comment that this is why it is so important that women have these healthcare choices.  In my state, homebirth with a care provider is illegal.  There are no birth centers and no midwives delivering in hospitals.  That is why we are fighting.  Anyway, I am currently pregnant with our fourth child.  We had a HBA2C nearly two years ago and i transferred because I was 36.5 weeks and tore like you'd never believe.  I could'n't count the stitches my OB put in me and he mentioned it was nearly the worst he'd ever seen (I pushed with too much force, midwife couldn't stop it).  Anyway, I was bleeding a lot.  It is definitely a personal decision and we are deciding on another homebirth.  Blessings to you in the future.  As someone else stated above, I could not have a hospital delivery as my plan A.  No way.  So many of my friends just don't understand but they have never delivered at home.  But, like I said, it is personal.  I will pray that you will find peace in whatever you choose.

#13 of 41 Old 01-10-2011, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Don't know if I'll ever have another baby, but my oldest dd is pregnant and using my last MW. I had a horrible birth experience w/her and it's dredging up some weird feelings.

#14 of 41 Old 01-10-2011, 03:11 PM

I had a hb for my first and planned a hb with my 2nd and transferred for FTP.  I went on to have the next 5 at home.  #8 was another transfer for PIH.  That hospital experience was SO much better.   I couldn't plan a hospital birth with an OB and most CNMs because I want the prenatal care I get from a hb mw.  Which is basically: I don't want any tests and I don't want to fight about it, treat me with respect and discuss things with me.  I just had a TERRIBLE, like I could not explain how terrible, experience with an OB who actually works with mws.  I just simply can not employ that kind of medical professional.  I don't know what I am gonna do this time. But absolutely would I have a hb again if I could do it myself (if I don't have PIH again) or find a mw to take me.   

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#15 of 41 Old 01-11-2011, 02:00 PM

Yes! I had a hb with both of my DD's. My labor with DD1 was perfect and very textbook but she ended up with shoulder dystocia and she was only 8lbs. Once my MW got her out she was fine and had no problems. So no transfer. I knew that my midwife handled the sd perfectly and it wouldn't have gone any better in a hospital. I was very nervous of having another hb and did go through the what if's of having another shoulder dystocia. But I knew that I wanted another hb. My labor with DD2 was only 2 and 1/2 hours and I pushed her out in 3 contractions. No shoulder dystocia!

Maegen, adventurous wife to DH, loving mom to my beautiful DD's and expecting another babe in March 2012!

#16 of 41 Old 01-11-2011, 02:17 PM

So I met with my midwife today, and we talked a lot about Meadow's birth and the circumstances surrounding the transfer. I feel so much better about planning a HB now! She knows me and my family so well, and she has great intuition. I really believe she has our safety as her highest priority, and that is a huge relief.  And like a PP said, the care of a hb midwife is so amazing, I couldn't imagine going to a doctor. When I went to my GP for a pregnancy test, she tried to argue with me about when my period was due! I was like, I think I know when I'm fertile and which day I'm on, but she couldn't wrap her mind around the fact that not all women have 28 day cycles and ovulate on day 14 eyesroll.gif  I would much rather see a practitioner who knows me and will listen to me.

Lovestruck luxlove.gif mama to Girlie #1 energy.gifand Girlie #2 on the way!
#17 of 41 Old 01-11-2011, 06:34 PM

I had a homebirth and almost died of a Strep A infection. They took my uterus to save my life. If I could have more children I would do it at home unassisted. 

#18 of 41 Old 01-11-2011, 07:33 PM

We transferred for exhaustion and no progression (after 60 hours of labor I was still only 3 centimeters). I will do a homebirth for the second.

E, wife to D, mommy to G (born March 2010). joy.gif

#19 of 41 Old 01-11-2011, 09:01 PM

With my last home birth I was in agonizing pain and after DD was born I started to hemhorrage. It was such a scary feeling, I felt like I started to slip out of reality. Thankfully I didn't have to transfer. I am planning another home birth,I just thought of all the things I did not want and realized I couldn't have a hospital birth

Stephanie, Mama to five beautiful kids, wife to J

#20 of 41 Old 01-11-2011, 09:13 PM

I would HB again, but I'm not sure DH would. I had severe PPH, ambulance transfer, and transfusion. DH says he thought he was losing me, and can't go through it again. Right now that is looking like no more kids for us, but maybe time will heal his emotional scars.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#21 of 41 Old 01-11-2011, 09:41 PM

I chose not to.  I had a HB with my second that ended in a severe PPH.  In the end, I should have transferred but didn't (midwife didn't push for it, I was in shock) and ended up really sick for several months.

When I found out I was pregnant with number 3, we opted for a hospital birth with a midwife and while I did have a PPH again (I've had one with each baby) it was handled a lot better and gave both my husband and I the peace of mind we needed.

If there is a baby number 4, we will go back to that hospital.

Mama of three.

#22 of 41 Old 01-12-2011, 05:00 AM

This is a fascinating thread for me.  I had an attempted HBAC w/ DS2 which turned into a transfer for a baby who's heart rate freaked out whenever he moved past 0 station.  We tried to labor him down w/ an epidural and no pushing but he kept having decels and not moving any lower so we ended up opting for a csection.  Overall, my midwife was fabulous and we felt really empowered by actually choosing the csection when we did but the transfer itself (car ride and hospital staff) was a nightmare.

We're not actively planning a 3rd but I think if it happens at some point I'd opt for a hospital birth, attempting a VB2C (luckily I live in a state where a few providers and hospitals are ok with that) and my amazing midwife as a doula.  I think for me it's not a risk thing but an emotional thing.  I was so wanting birth #2 to be the peaceful, beautiful  healing experience #1 wasn't and there is something in planning a HB that makes it hard not to get emotionally attached...getting the tub, the supplies, thinking about where to set up, walking around your house picturing labor and delivery.  I can't do it again.  I keep looking at our futon, where I was sitting when we decided we had to transfer and it hurts my heart a little.  So if we have a 3rd, I will try my best to give my baby the benefit of labor and of choosing their own birthday but will go into thinking it will end in a section because that's what I need to do for my own emotional well being.

Alison: BFing, BWing, ERFing mama to KidA (12/25/07) and KidO (6/26/10) nocirc.giffamilybed2.gif

#23 of 41 Old 01-12-2011, 06:57 AM

I did not have a homebirth, but had my son at a very low tech birth center staffed by cpm's, with the exact same care and setting I would have recieved at a home birth.  I transfered to the hospital 4 hours PP due to atonic bladder and retained placenta.  The midwives were not able to cath me, and I was not going to allow anyone to shove their hand into my uterus without pain meds and antibiotics!

My transfer experience sucked bad-  they were slow to make a decision to transfer, we had to go to the er and wait for 2 hrs, we had to wait one hour after that for an ob to come in, I was seperated from my baby for 6 hours (poor husband had to take him home, hours old, by himself, after no sleep).

In the end the ob I saw was caring, efficient, professional, and the nurses were also great.  After the issues were resolved and I was getting my abx drip I got the only sleep I had had or was to get for the next 48 hours.

In light of that experience, I realized how pointless the "15 min from the hospital" guidelines seemed.  What if I had needed to transfer with PPH, or a stuck baby, or a severly depressed or damaged newborn????

I have decided that if I have another baby, I will carefully research care providers, and choose a hospital birth.  Iv to me is no big deal, monitoring- whatever, it's not like I did much other than lean against the wall the first time around; no food- haha, they kept trying to force me to eat while I was in labor and I finally puked on them; also, after I had ds I just wanted to be left alone for a few and get my stuff back together, but they wouldn't take the baby off of me!!!  I asked and they said "oh no, he needs you to keep warm, you need to nurse him, you need to bond, yadda yadda yadda.  I just wanted to close my eyes and mentally recover for an hour or so, why the heck couldn't they take him, wrap him up, wash the blood off of him, hold him, and let me have the last moment of peace I was going to have for the next 20 years?

#24 of 41 Old 01-12-2011, 07:05 AM

A lot of retained placenta and PPH on this thread, ha?  

#25 of 41 Old 01-12-2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

I wonder, are they some of the more common complications, or just the more common reasons for transfer?

#26 of 41 Old 01-12-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantnerd View Post

Quote:

I wonder, are they some of the more common complications, or just the more common reasons for transfer?

Yea, me too...

#27 of 41 Old 01-12-2011, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarlady View Post

I would HB again, but I'm not sure DH would. I had severe PPH, ambulance transfer, and transfusion. DH says he thought he was losing me, and can't go through it again. Right now that is looking like no more kids for us, but maybe time will heal his emotional scars.

The emotional scar is what is hindering me also. I remember sitting on the bed, trying to deliver the placenta and feeling so helpless, like the MW told me to give it a good push and I couldn't do anything! Nothing, no contracting, no strength at ALL to push, nothing happened. And then there was a huge gush of blood and (still no placenta) and I looked at the assistant MW and she asked if I felt dizzy or warm (signs of low BP i guess) and that freaked me out. And then there was the ambulance ride. We sat in front of my house for 20 min collecting personal information! I was like, hello, I'm hemmoraging, and they were too busy asking about my husbands SSN for insurance billing to get to me the hospital in a timely manner! No iv, no BP monitoring, nothing. THen the look in my husbands eyes. Oh, the look like he was losing his wife, the mother of his kids. He was so worried, I just don't know if we can go through that again. :( At the hospital they ignored us, stared, whispered, rolled their eyes, and let me bleed for another hour before seeing the doctor. Another huge gush of blood (we think that was the placenta finally coming out) in the bed, i yelled out "I'm BLEEDING!, AND IM GOING TO PASS OUT!" And finally the ONE doctor on staff came to help us. It was a bit much. The neglect was real. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmh23 View Post

I chose not to.  I had a HB with my second that ended in a severe PPH.  In the end, I should have transferred but didn't (midwife didn't push for it, I was in shock) and ended up really sick for several months.

When I found out I was pregnant with number 3, we opted for a hospital birth with a midwife and while I did have a PPH again (I've had one with each baby) it was handled a lot better and gave both my husband and I the peace of mind we needed.

If there is a baby number 4, we will go back to that hospital.

Have they identified what causes it? 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday13th View Post

This is a fascinating thread for me.  I had an attempted HBAC w/ DS2 which turned into a transfer for a baby who's heart rate freaked out whenever he moved past 0 station.  We tried to labor him down w/ an epidural and no pushing but he kept having decels and not moving any lower so we ended up opting for a csection.  Overall, my midwife was fabulous and we felt really empowered by actually choosing the csection when we did but the transfer itself (car ride and hospital staff) was a nightmare.

We're not actively planning a 3rd but I think if it happens at some point I'd opt for a hospital birth, attempting a VB2C (luckily I live in a state where a few providers and hospitals are ok with that) and my amazing midwife as a doula.  I think for me it's not a risk thing but an emotional thing.  I was so wanting birth #2 to be the peaceful, beautiful  healing experience #1 wasn't and there is something in planning a HB that makes it hard not to get emotionally attached...getting the tub, the supplies, thinking about where to set up, walking around your house picturing labor and delivery.  I can't do it again.  I keep looking at our futon, where I was sitting when we decided we had to transfer and it hurts my heart a little.  So if we have a 3rd, I will try my best to give my baby the benefit of labor and of choosing their own birthday but will go into thinking it will end in a section because that's what I need to do for my own emotional well being.

I had a hard time gettign attached to my HB last time too. I was in disbelief it could happen. I understand your apprehension. 

Quote:

I did not have a homebirth, but had my son at a very low tech birth center staffed by cpm's, with the exact same care and setting I would have recieved at a home birth.  I transfered to the hospital 4 hours PP due to atonic bladder and retained placenta.  The midwives were not able to cath me, and I was not going to allow anyone to shove their hand into my uterus without pain meds and antibiotics!

My transfer experience sucked bad-  they were slow to make a decision to transfer, we had to go to the er and wait for 2 hrs, we had to wait one hour after that for an ob to come in, I was seperated from my baby for 6 hours (poor husband had to take him home, hours old, by himself, after no sleep).

In the end the ob I saw was caring, efficient, professional, and the nurses were also great.  After the issues were resolved and I was getting my abx drip I got the only sleep I had had or was to get for the next 48 hours.

In light of that experience, I realized how pointless the "15 min from the hospital" guidelines seemed.  What if I had needed to transfer with PPH, or a stuck baby, or a severly depressed or damaged newborn????

I have decided that if I have another baby, I will carefully research care providers, and choose a hospital birth.  Iv to me is no big deal, monitoring- whatever, it's not like I did much other than lean against the wall the first time around; no food- haha, they kept trying to force me to eat while I was in labor and I finally puked on them; also, after I had ds I just wanted to be left alone for a few and get my stuff back together, but they wouldn't take the baby off of me!!!  I asked and they said "oh no, he needs you to keep warm, you need to nurse him, you need to bond, yadda yadda yadda.  I just wanted to close my eyes and mentally recover for an hour or so, why the heck couldn't they take him, wrap him up, wash the blood off of him, hold him, and let me have the last moment of peace I was going to have for the next 20 years?

I'm so sorry the MSs weren't responsive to your needs. Isn't that what usually sets them apart from MDs? 

Quote:

Quote:

Retained placenta is extremely common in unmanaged deliveries (meaning no pitocin). I think it's something like 15% (but don't quote me on it- I seem to remember something like that from researching afterwards). That is why I believe it is extremely important for MWs to carry pitocin, to know how/when to administer it, and to legalize and make it accessible for MWs across the nation. 

#28 of 41 Old 01-12-2011, 08:46 AM

I remember the look in my DH's eyes when we were getting into the car to transfer.  It's one of my strongest memories of the birth.  I'm sorry to hear about all the terrible transfer stories.  We had a relatively positive transfer I guess because we were living in such a HB supportive town.  Also, my MW used uterine pressure to get the last bit of placenta (or whatever it was) out of my uterus.  It was after that that I lost quite a bit of blood BUT I also felt my uterus functioning properly after she did that.  I feel as though that was the best course of action though I also appreciated the transfusion for quicker recovery.  

I'm going to put it on my list to speak with my MW about retained placenta and PPH.  

Do any of you know if these two things are related (they sure seem so from reading this thread) and how and why?  What about prevention?  

OP, if this is too much of a spin off I could post another thread - say the word or PM me if anyone prefers we make a new thread!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShwarmaQueen View Post

THen the look in my husbands eyes.  

#29 of 41 Old 01-12-2011, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I remember the look in my DH's eyes when we were getting into the car to transfer.  It's one of my strongest memories of the birth.  I'm sorry to hear about all the terrible transfer stories.  We had a relatively positive transfer I guess because we were living in such a HB supportive town.  Also, my MW used uterine pressure to get the last bit of placenta (or whatever it was) out of my uterus.  It was after that that I lost quite a bit of blood BUT I also felt my uterus functioning properly after she did that.  I feel as though that was the best course of action though I also appreciated the transfusion for quicker recovery.  

I'm going to put it on my list to speak with my MW about retained placenta and PPH.  

Do any of you know if these two things are related (they sure seem so from reading this thread) and how and why?  What about prevention?  

OP, if this is too much of a spin off I could post another thread - say the word or PM me if anyone prefers we make a new thread!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShwarmaQueen View Post

THen the look in my husbands eyes.  

I'm no expert but I think they're related because the uterus cannot contract with the placenta still inside and thus the PPH. Why some women get the hemmorage and some don't is beyond me. I've heard stories of when walking around with placentas still inside for hours after their births, and apparently hemmorage isn't an issue for them. For me, I was in prodromal labor for 2 days prior to DSs delivery, dranks tons of labour aid, and peed frequently during the delivery. He came out in about 5-6 pushes. He was big- 9.2oz. Did any of that factor into it? Long labor, fast exit, big baby- tired uterus? I don't know...? But of course I'll always wonder if I could have done something different. 

As far as prevention, I did it all, or so I thought. I drank alfalfa, nettles, and RRT infusion religiously up until DSs birth (like quarts per day). I don't know if it made any difference, but I bounced back pretty quick anyway, even with all the blood loss (>2L+)

#30 of 41 Old 01-12-2011, 09:39 AM

I had a retained placenta for about 6 hrs after birth.  I did not hemmorage.  In fact, my placenta had detached normally, but I was no longer contracting at all and had a hugely distended, atonic bladder that was blocking the placenta from being delivered. About 1 liter of urine was drained out by the time I finally got cathed at the hospital.  I suspect the bladder issue was also partially to blame for my extended and extremely painful pushing stage (a little over 3 hours), along with a malpresentation in baby- his head was cocked to the side, and I had to force him to even engage in the cervix to complete dilation.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page