when did you take LO to pedi after HB? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 01-10-2011, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are going to be going to our first appointment tomorrow and ds will be 5 weeks and some days old. They wanted to see him at a few days, a week, and whatever other times, so we wouldve already gone several times. I hope we dont get kicked out of the practice, cause we dont vax and its hard to find a pedi to begin with...

just curious if others held off too or not. We did have postnatal care with our midwife and she checked him pretty well, we also did the newborn test

#2 of 29 Old 01-10-2011, 05:22 PM

We took DS at 1 day, and at 2 wks. Honestly, if I had it to do over again, I'd have skipped it. The MW checked him out, and I wasn't really worried. Getting everyone packed in the car and hauled to the Dr at less than 24 hours PP was NO FUN.

If asked, I'd just tell them that he was seen by "another provider" prior to this visit.

Mom to blahblah.gifDD (5/07), diaper.gifDS1 (02/10)h20homebirth.gif and babyboy.gif DS2 (11/11)h20homebirth.gif !

#3 of 29 Old 01-10-2011, 06:26 PM

We went with DS when he was like 16 days old. He was jaundiced (both my kids get the late-onset kind) and I wanted her to look at it, though my MW said it looked fine and I trusted her more than the pedi, but really it was just to appease them. lol She gave me flack about not doing the vit K shot and Hep B shot...or doing the eye goop, but I just rationally explained why I didn't get those and listened and smiled and nodded like a good patient. :)

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#4 of 29 Old 01-10-2011, 06:47 PM

We did 6 weeks of followup with the midwife, which was "included" in our midwife program.  After that, she's never been to a doctor at all... Well, she's come along with us when I or my son had an appointment.  ;)  And she's now 4yo.

Since we decided to delay vaxes, there was just no point.  We had no concerns.  When we had questions, there was a telehealth phone line to call.  For instance, she got one of those rash diseases... roseola??... when she was about 9mo.  I researched online, made my own tentative diagnosis, then called the telehealth nurse for confirmation.  She agreed, so we just kept on with life.  But unless there's a specific question or concern, and as long as you're well informed about potential health issues to watch for in newborns, then I don't see the point in WBV's personally.

If you want to go, then by all means do.  :)  If you want to not go, then don't stress about that either.  :)

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
#5 of 29 Old 01-10-2011, 07:06 PM

With both kids the MW took care of the checks until 6 weeks.  I did take DS to the ped at 8 weeks but never went back to that one.  Tried another one at 6 months and then gave up (we now just use a naturopath).  DD started seeing the naturopath at 8 weeks but we were having really big issues with her (turns out she's celiac).  She's never seen an MD of any type.

I suppose with the next one we'd probably stop by the ND's office at some point with the new babe but more just to show him/her off.  We don't go in unless there's a compelling reason.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#6 of 29 Old 01-10-2011, 07:33 PM

I didn't take my last baby in and we got kicked out of the practice. Well, they said they would take my older kids still but not the baby so I thought, "Why bother?".

I switched to someone that doesn't accept insurance but she sees my kids once a year and then answers any questions I have over the phone. Also she does home visits after homebirths! So she will come by after I have the next one.

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
#7 of 29 Old 01-10-2011, 07:50 PM

The two week appt.  Our MW did a 2ish day and a 2 week.  We talked to our ped and midwife and I felt better for various reasons having an over lap at 2 weeks rather than not seeing him until the 2 month appt.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#8 of 29 Old 01-10-2011, 10:06 PM

I feel like a bad mom, but I honestly can't remember when I've taken each child in? shy.gif I want to say it was a couple months after birth?  Maybe six months?  I don't know -- lol.  Oh, wait, I do remember that I took my oldest daughter in a couple days after she was born because her foot was a little turned in at birth.  I just wanted that checked.  (It was fine.)  That's all that visit entailed, and I didn't take her back for anything (we don't vaccinate and they're rarely sick....I do take them every now and then for a well check, but not annually or anything).  I guess if there's nothing you're concerned about, then I don't see a huge need to go immediately when they're so young.  That may be naive of me, though?

Angela -- mama to Jack (11/03), Adeline (6/06), Ella (11/08), and William (1/11). Accredited Leader: Attachment Parenting International of Orange County.h20homebirth.giffly-by-nursing2.gif homeschool.gif
#9 of 29 Old 01-11-2011, 06:59 AM

We do the normal 2days,1 week,1month,etc. We also have 1-2day mw,2week mw,6week mw. I do pku and mw doesn't do that. Also, I just like another pair of eyes and I like/trust our ped.
#10 of 29 Old 01-11-2011, 11:32 AM

My family doctor (who will be baby's doctor) had a homebirth herself so she said that she already knew the baby was being checked out at 1 day, 2 days, 2 weeks, etc by the midwife so bringing the baby in at about 1 month was fine.

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#11 of 29 Old 01-11-2011, 12:56 PM

Some never, Finnian is 17 months and has never been to the ped. My 7th didn't see the ped until I brought her in at 6 months for a broken leg. They could care less.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#12 of 29 Old 01-11-2011, 10:25 PM
rad

I usually take then in at about 1 week.

Rachel , wifey to best friend Karl ,
SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

#13 of 29 Old 01-18-2011, 11:33 AM

My 2nd son is now 10 weeks old and hasn't seen a ped yet.  My MW did quite a thorough exam on him, probably more thorough than any ped I've been to.  He did have jaundice but it went away he was / is fine.  I will probably only bring him in if he gets sick and would need antibiotics or something.  A lot of people ask me how much he weighs, but I really don't know since he was only weighed at birth and not since then.  When I tell them he hasn't been to see a ped yet, they kinda look at me like I'm crazy.

I had my 1st at a hospital and did all the recommended visits and well-visits (4 days, 1 mth, 3 mth, etc.) And frankly it was just a pain in my butt.  He was always fine and it was a waste of time, well visits that is.  Actually I just took him in today for what I suspected was a yeast diaper rash.  They confirmed it was but since I had already begun putting Monistat on it for 2 days, they said to just keep doing what I was doing - so again a waste of time and money.

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

#14 of 29 Old 01-18-2011, 11:54 AM

Both of mine were seen by a doctor within a few days of birth. We were having major nursing issues with my first and saw a pediatrician per the advice of our wonderful LC to have him evaluated for tongue-tie. With my second I took her into the doctor just to get her established as a patient and I'm awfully glad that I did since she ended up with pneumonia when she was 3 weeks old. If she didn't already have a doctor we would've ended up in the ER, probably with a spinal tap due to her fever, much more intrusive and traumatic all the way around.

I trust our doctor, figure that an extra set of eyes can't hurt, and as a non-vaxing homebirther thought it was a good CYA policy in case anything should ever come up with regards to medical neglect allegations, etc.

#15 of 29 Old 01-18-2011, 03:56 PM

Our midwife did checks (mainly weighing and breastfeeding help) until 6 weeks. We didn't do any tests, though. Not the newborn screen or hearing or anything. Then we took DD in to the pedi at 2 months just because our usual insurance was ending and we wanted to at least use it once. It was really pointless because we're not vaxing so it was weighing and measuring. We have to pick a new pedi (on different insurance now) and won't be taking her in unless there is an issue and we really need to for an actual illness or injury. I have a feeling we will be kicked out of quite a few practices before we find the right one for us. winky.gif

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#16 of 29 Old 01-18-2011, 04:39 PM

We saw the nautropath at 3 weeks, and the chiro at 3 weeks.  We saw the pedi at 1 year because I felt like I should go (it was totally useless since we don't vax and R had never been sick or had any health concerns.

I won't bother this time, though will likely see the chiro in the first month.

Julia, mama to Bumpa 2008, and The Mole 2011

#17 of 29 Old 01-18-2011, 05:33 PM

This is a helpful thread. I may ask our son's ND about it.  We just switched to a homebirth for my VBAC and my midwife is an ND. She does say, however, in her paperwork, that baby still needs to see their regular doc. But I would imagine baby's actual pedi/ND would be fine with coming in about a week. I'd love to avoid going out the first few days for myself.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#18 of 29 Old 01-19-2011, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I do about a week after birth, it takes several days to get in with our pedi as it is. My second child was the first HB and we didn't have a pedi then, never really needed one with my first child up until that point. My MW had suggested a pedi she likes so after DD2 was born we went in. I left thinking she was nice but we really won't be seeing her again. Turns out DD2 got seriously ill as a newborn and that pedi became my new best friend for many months.  Now we actually do all the suggested WBV and do see the pedi after birth. I really like our pedi, and it is more like a visit with an old friend then a chore. All 3 of my children have turned out to have some SNs, some she picked up on even when I didn't, and she has gone to battle for us more times then I can count to get the care they need. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#19 of 29 Old 01-19-2011, 12:30 PM

I am using my family doctor as my DS pedi. My family doc actually had her vbac homebirth with my midwife!! My family doc said that she will see the baby within the week. No need to rush though because she knows my midwife does an awesome job  that first week with the NB checkups.

Me-Brenda (wife as of 10/9/2005 and SAHM), DH-Rudy, DS-Isaiah 3/2009, DS-Micah 5/2011. We are a BF, Baby wearing, non-vacc, future homeschooling, homebirthing , traditional, family. The center of our home is Christ .

#20 of 29 Old 01-19-2011, 01:01 PM

We took our DS at one day old...I agree with PP:  NO FUN  That said, there was a small amount of concern about my DS's arm due to the way it was positioned during birth and how much he screamed after being born (looking back though I think that was due to suctioning...but that's another conversation) so we just felt better getting him checked out.  This time we will go at 2+ days after the birth just depending on what day of the week the baby is born on. 

ahhh to be able to think well enough to create a clever signature.sleeping.gif someday i will have enough sleep to accomplish this task...

Janae, mama to X (1/09) & X (7/11) and wife to J (since 9/96!)  Homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby (and toddler) wearing, co-sleeping, lactivist, intactivist. luxlove.gif

#21 of 29 Old 01-19-2011, 01:10 PM

My MW came to our home the next day for the 1st check and asked to see DS (and me) at one week, which we did.  We did the 3 month check (impromptu) because he came in with me when I had kidney stones and needed help.  We have been back for a ear check, that is about it. 

'09   
#22 of 29 Old 01-19-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeljur View Post

I feel like a bad mom, but I honestly can't remember when I've taken each child in? shy.gif I want to say it was a couple months after birth?  Maybe six months?  I don't know -- lol.  Oh, wait, I do remember that I took my oldest daughter in a couple days after she was born because her foot was a little turned in at birth.  I just wanted that checked.  (It was fine.)  That's all that visit entailed, and I didn't take her back for anything (we don't vaccinate and they're rarely sick....I do take them every now and then for a well check, but not annually or anything).  I guess if there's nothing you're concerned about, then I don't see a huge need to go immediately when they're so young.  That may be naive of me, though?

I do not feel you are a bad mama!  I too feel the same way if there is no need, no worries!

'09   
#23 of 29 Old 01-19-2011, 06:04 PM

We took the baby to see the ped 5 weeks after her homebirth.

A doctor is someone you hire. They are not the boss in the relationship, you are. If the doctor is not some one you'd care to hire, find some one else. Cash-only clinics will take anyone.

#24 of 29 Old 01-21-2011, 08:06 AM

we will be paying our ped OOP next time to do a homevisit..... as he said he would. reminds me, we need to schedule a visit... we're about a month late :) my dr is fairly strict on visit schedule, but accepts non vex, supports bf, cosleeping etc. so we go as we should, or close to it :)

Mama to bftoddler.gifand belly.gif

#25 of 29 Old 01-21-2011, 12:23 PM

our last birth was unassisted so we just took baby at 8 days old to a pediatrician, they were good because she odviously was fine so what good was it to tell me "i should have done" this or that. i acutally enjoyed it?  plus we were leaving so he didnt even try to talk about what he would like us to do in the future as far as vaxing or visits.  i am sure he was grateful we werent looking for a permanent doc!!!

this time we will have a homebirth midwife so she will do the checks after birth and maybe at 6 weeks, so we wont go to a peds doc at all!!  and the best part no nasty waiting rooms!!! LOVE IT!

Angela: Catholic Homeschooling Mom to Sierra(11/00), twins Addison & Kendall(3/03), Jack(4/06), Brielle (7/08), Levi (2/2011); due with#7 (9/13). Birthed every witch way.....hospital. C section. VbAC. Unassisted water birth (hypno/painless). Assisted waterbirth to an almost 10lber! (Not painless!)
#26 of 29 Old 02-08-2011, 07:05 AM

we took our last baby in at about 6 weeks or so, but this baby will be going in much earlier, as there has been a dianosis of a congenital heart defect that i want checked out ASAP after birth, so i'll be up and at 'em within a day or so PP. i hadn't even entertained the idea of paying OOP for a home visit, i suppose i should inquire about that and see if any of the docs in our practice would be up for that--though i imagine it might be a challenge due to scheduling. hmmm...

#27 of 29 Old 02-08-2011, 09:48 AM

We took Dd2 in at 2 weeks just to establish a relationship with the ped.  She didn't bat an eye at homebirthing, no vit K, no vax, no eye goop.  I'm really glad we went because we had issues with getting a social security card for her and needed the doctor's record.  For some strange reason Doctor's records were legal documents that proved she existed, but midwives records were not. headscratch.gif

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
#28 of 29 Old 02-09-2011, 05:40 AM

We took DS to the doctor at 8 days old. Our midwife came at 36 hours and 4 days, so if there were anything she was concerned with, we would've gone earlier. The nurses at the doc's office seemed shocked that we didn't come in earlier, but whatever. It was nice not to have to go anywhere with him before that. The doctor asked for him to come back a month after the first visit, so he was seen again around 6 weeks old. Then again at 3 months and we'll be going back in a couple of weeks at 5 months.

Mom to DD Maia (6/8/04), DS Eli (9/16/10)  and DSS Austin (4/8/96)
intactlact.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpgcd.gifbroc1.gif
#29 of 29 Old 02-09-2011, 08:11 AM

Our midwife came at 2 days postpartum and checked both of us, and when we went again at 2 weeks, she checked both of us again, so I didn't take my baby to her pedi until 2 months for her first set of vax's. But, I wanted to make sure we stay with our selective/alt vax schedule, so that's why I took her in then. We're only giving 2 at a time. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page