How Much Are You Paying/Have Paid for your MW? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 01-13-2011, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is only for those who feel comfortable enough answering questions that some might think is personal, but I am curious to know how much you have paid (past and present) for the assistance of your MW at your birth(s)?

How much for prenatals and blood tests?

If your MW didn't make it in time to your baby's birth, and you (and hubby) did all the work, did she still charge you full price? Or any at all?

Does your MW ever offer discounts or help you pay a price that your family can personally afford? Or is she, cut and dry, the same price for all, no matter their financial situation or this downturn economy?

I am very concerned about some of the stuff I'm hearing about MW's pricing and how they handle potential clients. Yes, they deserve to get paid for their work, just like in any profession or experienced individual, but some of this stuff is truly getting ridiculous, especially considering families that have lost/are losing their homes to foreclosure and having to file bankruptcy, etc. Just interested in hearing your responses and experiences, please!

Loving wife to my hubby and mama to our 5 kiddos! homeschool.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifhomebirth.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 37 Old 01-13-2011, 02:53 PM

Our midwife is around $3400 and that includes blood work, all office visits (including non-scheduled ones for emergencies), postpartum visits, etc.  Ultrasounds would be extra.  We got a small discount because we'd already had our initial blood work done with my other midwives before switching to her.

That price does not include supplies that we have to get for the birth, but those will be well under $200. 

Momma to Ellie (11.4.08) and Baby #2 (due 3.1.11).
#3 of 37 Old 01-13-2011, 04:04 PM

Mine will be $2500 for the birth and I'm not sure yet what prenatal and post partum is - those can be billed to insurance but the delivery fee (above) is paid by us.  Birth kit will be $45 and we'll pay to rent a tub, $300.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#4 of 37 Old 01-13-2011, 04:15 PM

between 3 and 5 thousand is the norm here in Seattle  and seems fair for everything including doing the labs but of course the labs will also charge for processing blood tests and such it seems fairs considering the time and expense doing the work . I'm sure some are willing to barter for part of the cost or offer sliding scale.

#5 of 37 Old 01-13-2011, 06:12 PM

I haven't had a homebirth yet, but this might be helpful anyway.

This is from the website of the Midwife(s) we will most likely use:

"The fee is $2800.00 for everything except your supplements. This fee includes your prenatal care, a pregnancy information binder, the book Birthing From Within, your birth kit, a Giving Way Blessing Ceremony if desired, the birth and post partum care. If you have insurance we will try to get you re-imbursed after the birth using a billing company. The fee can be paid in installments during your pregnancy."

It doesn't say if it includes blood work, or if they're willing to negotiate the price, and I haven't asked since we've just started TTC.

I hope that helps.  :)

Sarah, partner to J and mom to DD1 April 30th, 2002 and DD2 May 5th, 2012. love.gif

#6 of 37 Old 01-13-2011, 06:26 PM

I live in SW Missouri and my midwife is 1500 (1350 if paid by the 32nd week). This includes prenatal checkups, labor and delivery, postpartum visits and PKU/newborn screening. I am not sure how much blood work and tests she is able to do but I still am happy with her fees. This is my first baby so I don't know how comparable her rates are.

Hope that helps! I was so excited to actually find something I could through my 2 cents intobiggrinbounce.gif

Wife to DH superhero.gif, Tandem Nursing SAHMfly-by-nursing2.gif to  diaper.gifDS1 9/2011 and babyboy.gif DS2 9/2012

#7 of 37 Old 01-13-2011, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I paid 3,500 for one pg, any birth kits, labs, extra stuff was extra. The fee only included prenatals, the birth, and pp visits. Last pg I paid 1K just for the birth, no prenatals, testing or kits, she did supply the rhogam if I wanted it. She didn't make it to the birth and of course I still had to pay her. Things happen, labors go fast, the birth fees just are not for the work MW do at the actually birth but pay for rearranging their life, spending weeks waiting by the phone for the calls. 

From what I've heard, my first MW was not willing to work our deals for reduced prices, she had been promised pay far too many times and never received a penny, all money was due before the birth, by 32nd week if I remember right. The 2nd one was a bit more willing to work with families, we paid her at the birth which I felt was far too trusting on her behalf. I have MWs as friends, they are not exactly rolling in dough, no one gets into birth work for the money, but they have a right to charge a fair price for their work to feed their own families. If one were to calculate out a MW's expenses, years spent in training with minimal to no pay, certifications, conferences, continuing education, baby sitters if they have smaller children, office space, wear and tear on cars, days with births back to back to back,  on  and on, what they make is not nearly enough. It is a hard, hard lifestyle, and rough on their families as well. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#8 of 37 Old 01-13-2011, 09:04 PM

We are in Georgia also, and the midwife I will most likely use also charges $2,800.  smile.gif

My other home birth was about the same I think, and that was in California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleMa View Post

I haven't had a homebirth yet, but this might be helpful anyway.

This is from the website of the Midwife(s) we will most likely use:

"The fee is $2800.00 for everything except your supplements. This fee includes your prenatal care, a pregnancy information binder, the book Birthing From Within, your birth kit, a Giving Way Blessing Ceremony if desired, the birth and post partum care. If you have insurance we will try to get you re-imbursed after the birth using a billing company. The fee can be paid in installments during your pregnancy."

It doesn't say if it includes blood work, or if they're willing to negotiate the price, and I haven't asked since we've just started TTC.

I hope that helps.  :)

treehugger.gifAngie(25) Birth Doula and wife to Army man Bob(25), mommy to...dust.gifMeadow Shae(6),energy.gifLily Rain(4)homebirth.jpg, and joy.gif Sage Ashlyn(3). jog.gifAndrew Houston(9/3/11)

#9 of 37 Old 01-13-2011, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I'm in Cali and my midwife's fee is $4,000 for non-insurance clients and $4,400 for insurance clients. That includes prenatal appointments, delivery, postpartum and well baby checks. Our labs and ultrasound where covered by our insurance. We are going through insurance and hoping they will cover a good chunk of the fee. The amount they pay will be deducted from $4,400 and we are responsible for that amount. My midwife requires that $2,000 be paid to her by the 36th week of pregnancy.

In her contract, she states that if labor is too fast for her to make it that she still gets paid. I don't know what would happen if she missed a birth because of some issue on her part but she does work with other midwives so I doubt if a normal birth would be missed.

She does work with clients on payment plans. I don't know if she does sliding scale or trades or anything along those lines. I didn't ask.

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#10 of 37 Old 01-13-2011, 10:05 PM

For our second, we paid $1250. For my current baby, the midwife accepts a post-birth donation of $500-800.

Molly :)

Molly--mama to two sons (9/03 and 5/06), one tiny son forever in my heart (14w5d, 11/09), and one early m/c 2/10. Gave birth to my rainbow baby girl in 2011 and surprised to welcome another rainbow in October, 2014!
#11 of 37 Old 01-13-2011, 10:34 PM

How much for prenatals and blood tests?

If your MW didn't make it in time to your baby's birth, and you (and hubby) did all the work, did she still charge you full price? Or any at all?

Does your MW ever offer discounts or help you pay a price that your family can personally afford? Or is she, cut and dry, the same price for all, no matter their financial situation or this downturn economy?

I am paying $1600.00 for the whole thing, prenatals, delivery, everything that she does.  I also paid about 100.00 for birth supplies.  She does a regular prenatal schedule, unlimited phone/email, and she comes to my home for each visit.  She does not do blood work, GTT, or U/S- all of that had to be done through backup OB if I wanted it. She is letting me pay in monthly installments until I pay her off, which will be pretty far in the future. I am very low income at the moment.  Coincidentally the AVG for an MW in this area is around $2500.00  As for labs, that has been covered by my insurance and performed by my backup OB. All the MWs in this area have to have an OB do labs.

This doesn't apply to me but I have been wondering about how I would handle this if it happens.  My MW is two hours away and this is my fourth baby.  So if she missed it I am not sure what will go on with that but I am interested to hear what others have to say.  I would really feel kind of obligated to pay her because she has been so great through everything else and her charges are so low.

She has helped me out by stretching the payments out.  She said I can take as long as I need to pay and has been really great about it. I believe the total price is her standard charge though.

Resigned from teaching to be a doula and freelance writer.  run.gifMommy to blahblah.gif (06/05) and Peace.gif(05/07) and bouncy.gif(09/09) and fly-by-nursing2.gif(02/11)

#12 of 37 Old 01-13-2011, 10:35 PM

In WI:  I tried to switch to a MW after 31 weeks of OB care.  There aren't a lot of MWs available, but two came highly recommended.  The first's fee is $3,200 for all prenatal work, birth (including tub), and PP care; however, she does offer a Financial Hardship/Uninsured rate of $1,500.  The choice is up to the client and is due prior to 38 weeks.  There would be no deduction in price for transferring to her care so late in the pregnancy, but she was willing to take installments of postdated checks for even after the baby was born because it was already so close to my due date *score*.  Unfortunately, we didn't even set up an appointment until I was 37 weeks because of all the back and forth, and then she up and changed her mind about taking me on as a client b/c I couldn't secure an OB backup that was willing to work with her.  Then, I hurriedly contacted another MW, and her fee is $3,500 due up front--wasn't gonna happen. Although, she was willing to knock off $200 since I had just purchased my own birthing tub, but no discount for me already being 38 weeks---not like you need much prenatal care at that point. 

Needless to say, here I am, 39+ weeks, without a MW :( 

fambedsingle1.gif, cd.gif, heartbeat.gif ECing, slinggirl.gif, bfinfant.gif, first time mama to Serena jog.gif 1.17.11

hang.gif   goorganic.jpg crochetsmilie.gif photosmile2.gif

WAHM, Independent Distributor
#13 of 37 Old 01-14-2011, 07:28 AM
CEG

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenEsther View Post

I am very concerned about some of the stuff I'm hearing about MW's pricing and how they handle potential clients. Yes, they deserve to get paid for their work, just like in any profession or experienced individual, but some of this stuff is truly getting ridiculous, especially considering families that have lost/are losing their homes to foreclosure and having to file bankruptcy, etc. Just interested in hearing your responses and experiences, please!

We are paying around $2200 with an early payment discount.  Just like anyone else my midwife has to pay her bills, buy equipment, etc.  If she didn't charge her full fee then she would be one of the people who would losing her home to foreclosure and filing for bankruptcy.  Would you expect your grocery store to take less for food or the electric company to take less for electricity?  Should your plumber charge you less?  I know my midwife does work with people who need assistance but I wouldn't have a problem with her not doing it-- she invests time and supplies in prenatal care, child care for her own children, travel to your home, hours spent with one client when she could have been with a paying one, etc.  I certainly understand being frustrated about the cost, but it is asking a lot for a midwife to work for free or a reduced rate.  They are paid far less than they deserve, no matter how much you pay.

#14 of 37 Old 01-14-2011, 07:32 AM

DC area: I am paying $3500.  This is a practice with three midwives (CPMs).  Fee for insurance clients is $3900.  Birth kit is extra, as are any lab fees for tests you have done, but I am getting all that free through my OB.  

SAHM to Bird (6/07) and Bear (7/09), and now enjoying our newest additionbabyboy.gif, born June 1, 2011!  bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifsigncirc1.gifcd.gif

#15 of 37 Old 01-14-2011, 09:44 AM

When DD was born my MW's fee was $2500, that included all prenatals, the birth, and postnatals. She also has two birth tubs that you could use if you wanted to that were included in the fee. The birth kit and any testing were extra. She offered a discounted price of $1800 if you paid in cash by 26 weeks. I know she offers financial hardship discounts and will barter/trade for part of the fee.

#16 of 37 Old 01-14-2011, 10:05 AM

My MW three years ago was $5000.  This included all labs, but not U/S or the birth kit.  On the big day, after I called her three times, she still refused to believe I was in labor and did not come to my house and I ended up going to the hospital at 9 cm because my water broke and had meconium.  We still had to pay her full fee (which I knew; it was in the contract) but what i didn't know is that insurance would refuse to reimburse for any of it since she didn't attend the birth :(  With this pregnancy I have a new midwife who also charges $5000, but this does not include lab tests or the birth assistant fee.  This time we have no insurance, so I just pray every day that everything goes ok and we don't get stuck with hospital bills on top of that (very stressful).  I am in FL, btw.    I don't know why prices are so high here, but it seems normal for the area. 

#17 of 37 Old 01-14-2011, 10:43 AM
rad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

My CPM, who we used for baby 5 and 6, is $1500 if paid by week 36. I think with out the early discount it's more like $2200. The homebirth dr that we used for the first 4 births, was about $3800 which our insurance did cover most of. Both of these included the prenatals, birth and postpartum visits. Birth supplies were extra. So are any test or labs.

The CNM I looked into was more about $4000. My insurance would have paid most of this but I just didn't feel a connection with this midwife. This amount was just for the prenatal visits, birth and a few postpartum visits. Any tests or labs would be extra. The birth kit was also extra.

My midwife didn't make it in time with this last birth. Because of a huge snow storm she didn't show up until after the placenta was delivered. We still paid her the same amount.

She also was willing to work with us since we couldn't pay her the full amount but we really wanted to go with her again.

Rachel , wifey to best friend Karl ,
SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

#18 of 37 Old 01-14-2011, 11:25 AM

we paid 3000 (160 per appt, another 100 whenever she came to our house because of travel time) and 1600 for the birth. the birth kit and any other supplies/testing ect were not included) her normal fee (we joined up with her late)  is 4500 (3600 if paid by 36 weeks). she wasnt willing to lower the price for hardship/uninsured but was willing to barter things like work done on her house to reduce payment. i think it was really expensive but it was worth it. good luck to you

familybed2.gifSAHM, military wife, momma to DSD 2004lady.gif, 2007angel1.gif, DS 2008jog.gif,  DD 2011 jog.gif

lactivist.gifintactivist.gifh20homebirth.gifcd.giffly-by-nursing2.gifphotosmile2.gif

#19 of 37 Old 01-14-2011, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I paid $3600 for my mw. That's her flat rate fee, same for everyone. It includes prenatals, birth, 2 birth assistants, postpartum care for myself and baby thru six weeks and all the medical equipment necessary. It does not cover u/s or bloodwork, which will run about $1000 extra or more if you are uninsured. She also offers a tub rental for $300. If you pay in full within the first 30 days of seeing her, she'll reduce the fee by 10%. Full payment is due by the 36wk homevisit.

She does accept Medicaid and a large part of her client base is Medicaid. If that is the case, she gets paid significantly less than her fee. I don't know exactly how much, but I think its around half, if she's lucky. She does require Medicaid patients to pay around $900 to cover the birth assistant fee (because our state's medicaid doesn't feel a birth assistant is necessary in a homebirth headscratch.gif) and to cover the medical supplies (again, because our state's Medicaid doesn't feel medical supplies are necessary....not sure how that even makes the teeniest bit of sense to them....Yet they pay for a hospital birth with several nurses, an OB, drugs of all sorts and unnecessary interventions, it makes me so hopping mad!!Cuss.gif) She is working to change the way Medicaid in our state is run and she is the first and only hb mw to accept Medicaid, so she's blazing a trail!!

Honestly, I think her fee is fair. Yeah, it seems a little shocking up front, but thinking about how much time, education and money she's put into her career not to mention what a hard job it is-on her family as well as herself-it makes total sense why her fee is what it is. What upsets me a hell of a lot more is the u/s place charging uninsured customers $450 for a fifteen minute u/s or the place that does her labs (well, did, she switched after this happened to me) charging me nearly $300 for a pap smear that included an HPV test (she did the pap, all they did was run a few tests). The new place that does her labs only charges $45 for the same ^%$*# test.

And after sitting down and thinking about all she is doing and has done, I wish I could afford to pay her more!

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

#20 of 37 Old 01-14-2011, 07:35 PM

When I was shopping around for a MW in the NoColo area, the fees seemed to be consistently around $3500 for everything but labs or u/s. That was up to you. The one I *really* liked came to your home for all prenatals, of course she had back-up if she couldn't make it, and wanted to be paid in full by 36-37 weeks. One or the other, I can't remember. She was very willing to work with you on payments, but required I believe it was $300 (non-refundable) up front as sort of a retainer, and if you qualified for either Medicaid or CHP in CO (which we would have if we hadn't moved) she charged $600 for her services, and then I believe you purchased the birth kit separately. CRAZY reasonable, IMO. The other MW I had a chance to talk with also said she would reduce her fees if we qualified for state ins, and took payments. They both had it in their contracts that payment in full would be made regardless of them making to the birth. Which, considering my OB with my first baby didn't make it (thank you Lord! - I ended up with the most supportive and excited resident vs a bored uppity scissors happy kind of guy) and HE certainly still got paid, and my CNM with my second baby also just missed the birth (though she was literally running as fast as she could... she was across the street at her office!) also got paid, just seems like an obvious thing to me.

I haven't talked with anyone here in SC yet, but it seems to me they all probably do what they can... being flexible allows them to do what they love, but they have to factor reality and experience into their policies. Guess if the thread's still going, I'll let you know. :)

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
#21 of 37 Old 01-14-2011, 07:45 PM

We're in Florida and ours cost $4000. This didn't include labs, U/S or Rhogam if we had needed it. Insurance covered most of it and the rest we bartered for (we built her website and designed her logo etc.)

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

#22 of 37 Old 01-14-2011, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Mine was $5000 and it included only the visits at home and the delivery, and one follow up appointment (which she never did).

#23 of 37 Old 01-14-2011, 08:57 PM

Because of the rigors of becoming licensed and being able to practice in Florida. It's much more expensive for a midwife to BECOME a midwife and practice in Florida vs. somewhere like my state, where licensing is not yet available and my area charges around $1500 and east of here is around $2000 to $3000 depending on the experience of the midwife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morganlefay View Post

My MW three years ago was $5000.  This included all labs, but not U/S or the birth kit.  On the big day, after I called her three times, she still refused to believe I was in labor and did not come to my house and I ended up going to the hospital at 9 cm because my water broke and had meconium.  We still had to pay her full fee (which I knew; it was in the contract) but what i didn't know is that insurance would refuse to reimburse for any of it since she didn't attend the birth :(  With this pregnancy I have a new midwife who also charges $5000, but this does not include lab tests or the birth assistant fee.  This time we have no insurance, so I just pray every day that everything goes ok and we don't get stuck with hospital bills on top of that (very stressful).  I am in FL, btw.    I don't know why prices are so high here, but it seems normal for the area. 

Mom of 5 working full-time and waiting to go to nursing school! Whew! I need a nap! joy.gif

#24 of 37 Old 01-14-2011, 09:05 PM

We paid $2500. Included in that price was prenatals, GD test, labor & delivery, birth kit, birth stool use, and postpartum checks (4). U/S and the bloodwork was extra and done through the backup OB. 

Kara: on a journey with DH, Mama to DS 2/2010
#25 of 37 Old 01-15-2011, 11:06 AM

i'm in the DC area and paid $3500 for my mw last year. That included all prenatals, the birth, and 4 postpartum checkups. it did not include the one ultrasound i had - my insurance covered that. it also did not include the $700 for the mw assistant, or the supplies.

My mw midwife did miss the actual birth, and she still got paid in full. The actual delivery was so quick and easy, it would have been a minor part of the work she did even if she had made it. She still deserved payment for the nine months of prenatals, the six hours she spent with me after the delivery, and the weeks of follow-up appointments. it never occurred to me that she should receive anything less. 

homebirth.jpgdd 10/09
#26 of 37 Old 01-17-2011, 11:23 AM

I'm in central NJ.  My first pregnancy, mw charged $6250 but didn't include labs or u/s.  Those were all covered by insurance though.

This time, mw charges $5500, and labs and u/s aren't included either.  They will be covered by insurance, so not much out of pocket.  

Reading the contract, if she misses the birth there is no reduction in fee or refund b/c care will have been the same throughout the pregnancy.  Same if a hospital transfer occurs.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#27 of 37 Old 01-17-2011, 07:40 PM

My mw charges $3000 if you don't have insurance or $3300 if you want her to bill insurance. This doesn't include labs which are $150 if you go through her. Doesn't include ultrasound. I'm sure her fee would be the same if she missed delivery. She has been very willing to work with me so far and I'm thinking if someone was really struggling financially she would work something out.

Harmony, mom of dd (14), ds (11), ds (4) and having #4 in June
#28 of 37 Old 01-19-2011, 12:10 PM

My mw (in FL as well) charges $4400.  Insurance covers $3400, so we pay $1000 out of pocket.  This includes all labs and tests, and I think we pay a $25 copay for ultrasounds, but I can't remember.  She will reimburse us some of the costs if she doesn't make it to the birth or we have to transfer though. 

I know she also has to carry malpractice insurance because of Florida law, so that could be another factor in the cost.  Do all midwives have malpractice ins.?

Lovestruck luxlove.gif mama to Girlie #1 energy.gifand Girlie #2 on the way!
#29 of 37 Old 01-19-2011, 01:01 PM

his is only for those who feel comfortable enough answering questions that some might think is personal, but I am curious to know how much you have paid (past and present) for the assistance of your MW at your birth(s)? Our total bill will be 2800 for the birth (prenatals and birth included). IF I did have out of network coverage with insurance it would pay 60% of that. However since I don't we pay the full bill out of pocket. I will also pay 140 out of pocket for rhogam. IF I wanted to do GBS or GD testing they are about 20-50 bucks each..I am not doing those.

How much for prenatals and blood tests? Prenatals are included. I had my blood tests run through my regular family doctor which insurance covers. Had them send me a copy and I gave the copy to my MW. I had elective US done at a stand alone clinic that my insurance covers. I paid 45 copay out of pocket for those.

If your MW didn't make it in time to your baby's birth, and you (and hubby) did all the work, did she still charge you full price? Or any at all? If she doesn't make it in time for the birth then we still owe her (it's in our contract). But if I am transfered out of care DURING the prenatal period, not during birth, then she refunds a portion of the money less any prenatals she has done.

Does your MW ever offer discounts or help you pay a price that your family can personally afford? Or is she, cut and dry, the same price for all, no matter their financial situation or this downturn economy?my MW offers payment plans. Not discounts. She's actually the least expensive in the area. Most were running 3000-5000

Me-Brenda (wife as of 10/9/2005 and SAHM), DH-Rudy, DS-Isaiah 3/2009, DS-Micah 5/2011. We are a BF, Baby wearing, non-vacc, future homeschooling, homebirthing , traditional, family. The center of our home is Christ .

#30 of 37 Old 01-19-2011, 07:15 PM

My first, in 2007 in northern California, was $2,000 for prenatals, birth, postpartum. They also ended up giving me a lot of stuff, food, herbs, and arranged for me to get sutures at home, and provided all the materials for the sutures. No lab work was included, but my insurance covered all that.

I'm now looking for a midwife, in central California, and the one I like is $4000. She takes most insurance but not my lousy HMO. I can't afford it...but I will anyway I guess.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page