Mothering Forum banner

Reviews of Dawn Rogue midwife in Naples

9K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  Naplesmom 
#1 ·
Hello,

Does anyone have any reviews of Dawn Rogue in the Naples area as a midwife? I live in ft. Myers and she is the only one that I found that does homebirths.

Thank you,

Toni

#3 ·
Sorry for bumping this up but I figured it may be helpful for those seeking info. I called Cathy Matthews yesterday and inquired about her for a Naples delivery and she said she travels down to Lee and Collier only "very rarely" and referred me to Dawn Rogula.

#7 ·
Dawn was my home birth midwife for my fourth baby in 2009. She drove an hour to my home from Naples and was punctual for each prenatal. She came to my home at 2am when I decided it was time. My family and I were happy with our care.

Give her a call for an interview and decide if you are comfortable with her responses to your concerns.

#9 ·
I used Dawn for my Daughter's birth (# 3)... She was not very hands on (except when needed), as it should be. She came to my house for every prenatal appointment, and was extremely kind and gentle. Was there more for questions and answers than to poke and prod.

As a future midwife currently preparing for studies (Doula trained, and seeking pre req's for school) I must say that Dawn was exactly what every mother should have available as an option for the birth they deserve.

I shopped around to many midwives when we were planning our home birth. The one in Sarasota wouldn't travel, so I never even got to meet her. Baby Love's midwife is not an LM, CPM and she stopped doing home births, and after many personal reviews not in her favor I decided against that. I interviewed Naples Birth Center, but it wasn't a cozy homey feeling, it was more of a medical sterile look, that is NOT what I was shooting for, and they were ALL business, I didn't feel compassionately welcome.

Dawn is a no nonsense, mother of two, down to earth, one of the girls type, that she makes it so you can talk to her about any concerns without a problem. I have even called her about advice for friends or things about me long after our pregnancy/delivery business was over.

Here's the story. My daughter is the biggest baby she has delivered to date, weighing in at 11 lbs on the nose. 22 inches in length. She had shoulder dystocia and Dawn without hesitation flipped me over and quickly but gently reached up and dislodged the baby's shoulder without any pain to me or the baby. Prior to birth she would come to home visits and would review urine test strip take weight, blood pressure, and doppler (which I have since learned can be harmful to the baby, but that is another story for another day), measure my belly, and talk about anything important. She never did any type of internal exam (but will if asked and if a concern), but basically after all my research interventions are bad and they start with doppler to hear heartbeat (which few understand this or recognize this) and continue through ultrasound, internal exams, stripping membranes, Electronic Fetal Monitoring, and you all know the risks DURING labor such as induction and pain meds.... Well she understands all those risks and advises against them (she does use doppler). Thus lowering her C-section rate TREMENDOUSLY.

My daughter would have been a c-section at ANY doctor's office in the state cause of her size and her slightly tansverse positioning (she was tilted slightly sideways to the right preventing her from naturally transitioning into the birth canal for delivery. However when it was time she released with my help and came through beautifully and Dawn had no concerns about it. My baby girl is almost 4 and has NEVER been ill with more than a seasonal allergy. She had NO interventions and I have Dawn to thank for that.

So if you are planning a homebirth I highly recommend Dawn, seeing as how I am proof that "urgent" situations don't have to be urgent at all with a little patience, compassion, and knowledge which is what I got from her. You must do your own homework and meet with as many birth professionals as you can to find the perfect fit for you, but Dawn should be a high candidate on anyone's list wishing to birth at home NATURALLY!

#10 ·
The most important thing is that you find the practitioner that works for you. Dawn Rogula is very "hands off" which some women want. Others want someone more involved in their care. Someone who will actually address their issues and not see them for just a chat session. Don't get me wrong, "hands off" isn't a bad thing, but there is a balance.

Call my birth center "sterile and all business" if you wish. Most people feel as though our center is clean and well put together. All birth centers have a business side. We couldn't operate if we didn't. So sorry we had to look into your insurance or give you self-pay information.

#13 ·
I just had a homebirth with Dawn 3 days ago.
joy.gif
This was my 4th baby, but 1st homebirth. I was very happy with her care. She was always very easy to reach by phone when I needed her. She came to my house for all appts. and was always super punctual! I am always late for everything, so punctual people impress me!

She was basically as hands off or hands on as I wanted her to be. She was more than willing to do or not do whatever tests or interventions I wanted or didn't want. She addressed all my concerns. I tend to be a pretty anxious person, so her calm attitude was helpful for me. The birth went great. It was my best birth by far and she was very gentle and kind during it. I had a super fast, easy, uncomplicated homebirth and everything was great.

If I were to have another baby in the area, I would use her again.

I also looked into the birthing center but ultimately decided against it due to the fact that it would have cost more and I really didn't see the point. For me, the big bonus about homebirth was not having to travel in the middle of labor, and I really think being home helped my labor to progress much faster and smoother than my previous ones did.

#19 ·
I know this is an old post but I didn't see a lot of places to review Dawn Rogula and I had a terrible experience.

I was excited to have a homebirth with her after two of my friends just had home births with her in the few months before me and had recommended her. The prenatal appts were fine, nothing to write home about but nice enough and just did what was needed (checked BP, weight, pee strip and baby's hb). The birth was really supposed to be her time to shine as a knowledgeable midwife but unfortunately it was a horrible experience.

She came in high, which I could forgive bc you were on your personal time and never know when you will be called to a birth. But then you left in the middle of my laboring and came back reeking even more! At that time you knew. She was basically completely hands off, even when my mom and husband needed a break from pressing on my hips, she didn't even rub my back at all, just sat on the edge of the bed and very standoffish the entire time. I had asked her about having a birthing stool or anything to help with laboring beforehand and at labor she had nothing. I had felt given up on, no support at all. My labor had stalled. My mom asked about spinning baby techniques or positions to help the baby be in a better position for more effective contractions and Dawn kind of waved her hand and said "yeah you can try" but wasn't knowledgeable at all and didn't help. She said she wouldn't deliver at home anymore and we had to go to the hospital (she was horrible anyways and already felt given up on since she walked in the door so this was fine but still).

I never heard from her again. She never texted to see how things turned out. Nothing. But she cashed my last check that next day.

Very unhappy with her. Would not recommend. Did not give my husband or husbands family any reason to think good of midwifes.

Also it would be one thing if she was as standoffish as she was going to be and required a doula or strongly encouraged a doula because she was only going to be there for the baby or something....but she didn't say that at all before and again I had my mom and husband there to comfort and be with me I just didn't expect her to be completely useless.