Pets? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-24-2011, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What did you do with your pet(s) while you were laboring/birthing? 

We have a 60lb dog.  She's great around friendly strangers, so I'm not worried about that.  I just don't know how she'd be with the birthing process.  She's highly intuitive (like most dogs) and very protective of our pack.  I'm not sure how she'd react to me being in pain and all that goes along with birthing.

Thoughts?

Sarah, partner to J and mom to DD1 April 30th, 2002 and DD2 May 5th, 2012. love.gif

#2 of 9 Old 01-24-2011, 08:04 PM

We have two dogs and I'm thinking I'll ask my  mom to come by and pick them up while I'm in labour.  One of our dogs is especially sensitive to emotions, she gets upset and comes to comfort you if you're upset and hides if someone is angry (completely unrelated to her).  I'm worried that she'd be really upset the entire time.  The other dog will just sleep through anything but they'll feel better hanging out together and they love going to my mom's.  We might also see how they do, I don't know yet...

#3 of 9 Old 01-24-2011, 08:09 PM

We have one dog....she's very clingy and annoying but I don't anticipate her being a problem. If she is I'll be giving her a good bit of Benedryl and letting her sleep in my bedroom. Lol. I really don't think that'll be the case tho.  ;)

~Christy, wife to M and mother to M and A, expecting baby #3 in May 2011 Planning our first HBAC!
#4 of 9 Old 01-25-2011, 07:31 AM

We have a VERY sensitive dog (wants to leave the house if one of the kids starts crying or an adult talks back to an annoying news report), and when I was in labor, he was totally mellow. He actually came and sat on the bed with me, totally of his own accord, when I was in the most intense part of labor. DH was madly scrambling to fill the pool, my sister was upstairs distracting my son, and the midwife was in transit. He was very calm, not freaked out at all, and it increased my already very deep love for him that he came in to be my 'doula'. He was in the room when DS2 was born, and after the birth, he came into the bedroom when the midwives were checking my placenta and checking me for tears (I thanked him and shooed him out at that point because it seemed vaguely unsanitary for him to be up on the bed with me). I bet your pup will be a supporter in the birth process or will ignore it all.

Doula, WOHM, wife to a super-fun papa, mama to the Monkey ('07), and his little brother, the Sea Monkey ('09).
#5 of 9 Old 01-26-2011, 05:20 PM

We have two dogs, our smaller dog (corgi) just hung out in her crate in our bedroom (the room I gave birth in), she was totally chill didn't make a peep and was fine.  Our 75 shep/lab mix.  was fine with everything dh and I were doing, and with family roaming around.   When the midwife and others showed up she didn't do well, but we kind of expected that.  She gets VERY excited when people come over, so we put her outside for a bit to calm down.  But really it went like I expected or better. 

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#6 of 9 Old 01-26-2011, 11:38 PM

petting animals actually helps to alleviate stress! If I ever decide to have a kid, I would want my dogs there, and if they couldnt handle it Id just stick it out with the cat.

With my sister's homebirth last year we had 3 cats come in and out during her labour. At one point her one cat kept harassing one of the midwives to pet him, it was pretty comical and we all have a good laugh about it (and he was happy with getting attention) Another cat kept trying to sit in the tray of sterilized stuff when they were preparing for delivery. Again, we thought it was funny, silly guys.

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!
#7 of 9 Old 01-29-2011, 08:43 PM

my dog, though i love her, creates for stress for me.  nothing she does so much i just in general would not want her around while laboring, we will just put her in her kennel when things get serious.  sometimes she barks at the front door and that would totally bother me!

Angela: Catholic Homeschooling Mom to Sierra(11/00), twins Addison & Kendall(3/03), Jack(4/06), Brielle (7/08), Levi (2/2011); due with#7 (9/13). Birthed every witch way.....hospital. C section. VbAC. Unassisted water birth (hypno/painless). Assisted waterbirth to an almost 10lber! (Not painless!)
#8 of 9 Old 02-01-2011, 07:31 PM

I love my dog she is a mini schnauzer. She is always at my feet or next to me. When I went into labor she flipped. She wanted to be on top of me and I couldn't handle it, so my sister took her home with her. 

#9 of 9 Old 02-03-2011, 08:28 AM

Our dog and cat were left to roam during the birth. Both instinctively kept their distance when they're usually all over me. They weren't a problem at all :)

Mom to DD Maia (6/8/04), DS Eli (9/16/10)  and DSS Austin (4/8/96)
intactlact.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpgcd.gifbroc1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page