Homebirth at a hotel - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-04-2011, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone have suggestions for doing a birth at a hotel? Do you go to Super 8 or opt for something a little nicer, like Quality Inn?

Also, what do you bring? Is there a homebirth checklist anyone can suggest?

Wife, and mommy to 6 kiddos : ds REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 6/7/05, emer. cs; angel1.gif 1/06; ds bikenew.gif, 12/5/06, repeat cs; dd blowkiss.gif, 4/28/08, repeat cs; ds flowersforyou.gif, 10/23/09, repeat c/s; ds guitar.gif, 3/25/11, HBA4C; dd energy.gif, 4/28/13, waterbirth.jpg2HBA4C!   IHhbac.gif & vbac.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 02-04-2011, 05:51 AM

When I was pg with DD, I thought a lot about this. We live in a rural area, 30 miles from the nearest local hospital (with no NICU). Im not sure if that is what you are doing, or if you have some other reason for having a homebirth in a hotel. We decided to go ahead and go to the hospital for various reasons. Here is a list of those reasons:

~I do not think I would feel comfortable in a hotel

~I would be afraid that I would tense because of the fear of screaming and disturbing other guests, possible having managment called, ;police called, or even 911 coming if someone calls because they think youve gone into labor and need help.

~I was afraid I would feel trapped and confined.

~I felt like no matter what I brought with me it wouldnt be enough.

In the end, if I had it to do over again, I feel like I would just stay home. I had a great hospital birth experience. IMO, if you want to take the risk (or keep from being at risk) of not going to the hospital, you may as well just take it all the way. If something goes wrong and you are in a hotel and you call 911 you may well wind up on the local news. And honestly, for me it was really unlikely that I would have been willing to get into a car in the last part of my labor. That being said, if I was going to do it, I would have to do it in a hotel that was clean and had a balcony. I wouldnt go to a motel, Id probably get a Marriott Suite that has a kitchen and a living room and a bedroom, and a jet style bathtub. They run about $200.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#3 of 7 Old 02-04-2011, 09:36 PM

I have not had a "hotel birth", but I do know a few women who did. They wanted to be closer to the hospital in case something went wrong, and they do regret their decision, except for one. The hotel rooms were just as small as the hospitals rooms and it was really hard for them to get comfy. The hotel wasn't their house so it wasn't the home like feeling they needed, and they couldn't be loud like they had a desire to becasue they didn't want the hotel staff to find out. They couldnt' just go and walk the halls or get into the pool, they had to stay in their small rooms. I know I personally could not do that. When I'm in labor I'm a mover and I walk all over the place.

~Attatchment and Natural Parent from instincts not from books to my 2 boys~ Childbirth Educator & Placental Encapsulation Professional
homeschool.gif familybed2.gif homebirth.jpgribbonpb.gif
#4 of 7 Old 02-05-2011, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I do know of two local B&Bs in my area that are HB friendly. From previous threads about this on here, some others have said similar things about their area. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#5 of 7 Old 02-05-2011, 05:48 PM

If I were going to do that, I would pick a hotel with a big deep tub. I would also bring cleaner for said tub. shy.gif

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#6 of 7 Old 02-05-2011, 06:02 PM

I considered having my second baby in a hotel for that very reason (the big tub)  I had a three yr old and less than helpful husband - i just convinced myself i couldnt have a birth pool in my home WITH my 3 yr old and not have some sort of awful accident with the two.   I also knew that after giving birth in the portable tub ...i would be expected to clean it (this was 12 yrs ago before the blow up pools that are so popular now) 

So my choices were home birth on dry land OR hotel with a tub.  I chose home, ultimately, for several reasons already listed - i wanted to be able to scream and make noise, i wanted room to walk around, i was afraid of attracting attention to myself by walking in in labor.  I was worried i wouldnt have time to clean the tub satisfactorily....and i was worried we would have to drive from hotel to hotel to find one with a tub -(we couldnt make reservations!)  i didnt want to spend labor that way. 

My midwife mentioned she had caught a few babies in hotels before and that they always seemed to be short on towels/shower curtain liners...things to protect the carpet and bedspread.  She mused that she always wondered what the cleaning staff thought when they saw blood.

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#7 of 7 Old 02-11-2011, 07:22 PM

I have midwifed at several hotel births and two in bed/breakfast over these past 28 yrs.  I always found the staff to be excited, and the bed/breakfast staff to bend over backwards. Most folks choose luxury over Super 8's. Depends on why the birth is happening at a hotel, and of course, how much the birthing family wants to spend.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page