Replenishing on fluids during labor? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 02-16-2011, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

During labor I was glad for juicy juice (100% fruit juice punch blend) in juice boxes, and chocolate almond milk, and plain cool water.

#32 of 43 Old 02-17-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharita View Post

I have also not been able to find coconut water or recharge.  We have a super walmart, super kmart, target, and a healthfood store I havent checked out yet.  Only gatorade and powerade in walmart, kmart.  Havent seen coconut water anywhere either.  What stores do you find recharge or coconut water in and what section?

Amazon sells several varieties, with Subscribe & Save (15% off) and free super saver shipping. But I buy mine locally. It's everywhere here but if you are having trouble you might try calling an Asian or Mexican grocery store.

Blessed Mama to 4 and expecting one more!
#33 of 43 Old 02-18-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharita View Post

Yeah, but the older lady who worked in the grocery section just looked at me like I was nuts and pointed me to the alcohol aisle for cream of coconut the really thick sweet stuff for making pina coladas.  I am going to double check the hispanic food section again since it is not in the juice aisle with gatorade, jumex nectars, etc.

Try whole foods. (it says you're in Chicago, there are several locations in Chicago)

they have it.

if they don't I'll eat my hat. smile.gif

#34 of 43 Old 03-03-2011, 12:15 AM

Now, I haven't had any children yet, but I will let you know some tips on replacing electrolytes if you are vomitting a lot.  Because I don't have a large intestine anymore, I have to drink more fluids than normal to prevent dehydration.  Anyway, the best thing I have found to replace fluids if you are throwing up and can't actually drink anything.  Suck on those Pedialyte popsicles.  Trust me, they are not as nasty tasting as you may think.  If you suck on these, you will still get electrolytes back in you, but you won't get so much fluids in your stomach that it irritates it.  Plus, the cold is soothing for nausea. 

As far as coconut water, I have never heard of it before, so I can't help you there.  You might try looking at Trader Joes for it.  They seem to sell almost anything thats healthy.

Jessie

#35 of 43 Old 03-05-2011, 06:32 PM

Trader Joe's would have it for sure.  At least in our state they do.  When I was in labor I drank emergen-c.  Gatorade was WAY too sweet for me...

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#36 of 43 Old 03-07-2011, 08:57 AM

I had a very successful homebirth 2.5 months ago and I am a huge proponent of coconut water for hydration. I tried a few brands at my local market that they had on the shelves, and then ended up ordering a case of 12 from Amazon for a great price (w/ free shipping!) for the birth (they have all sorts of brands on amazon.com that you can order by the case, including an organic one, since I read recently about the use of pesticides/bleach on coconuts). I drank several throughout the birth, but I like the taste, so in case you don't, try a few kinds first before ordering a case! Some can taste a bit different than others. I also drank an Emergen-C packet, took a few spoonfuls of honey, and ate a hardboiled egg or two. I never remember feeling physically fatigued outside of the norm (mentally is a different story!) and I never felt particularly thirsty. My midwives were very persistent about making sure I had fluids all the time and that I ate a bit of protein/honey here and there. I would highly recommend the coconut water. Also, I can't stress enough about making sure you are hydrated right after the birth. With BFing (if you plan to do that), I didn't realize how much fluid it sucks out of you initially, and I became very dehydrated and developed some traumatizing hemmorhoids angry.gif, so I would say that whatever you go with for hydration, stick with it even after the birth for at least the first few weeks while you get adjusted.

#37 of 43 Old 03-07-2011, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)

I am one that also doesn't like the flavor of coconut water.  What's been working for me this pregnancy is working it into a super yummy smoothie treat, which I think may also be good for early labor.  I've just been doing coconut water (fill half the blender), add fresh fruit to the coconut water and top with a cup or two of Greek yogurt (I use the sweetened vanilla).  It's YUMMY!!   Doesn't taste healthy at all.  ROTFLMAO.gif

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#38 of 43 Old 03-07-2011, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)

BTW, I did read somewhere a caution about emergen-C during labor.  It may have just been a tread on MDC -- not a good sole source of advice.  It may be nothing but I thought I'd mention it.  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#39 of 43 Old 03-07-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

BTW, I did read somewhere a caution about emergen-C during labor.  It may have just been a tread on MDC -- not a good sole source of advice.  It may be nothing but I thought I'd mention it.  

I think the thing with emergen-c is to NOT drink ONLY it during labor.  I had 2 during my labor, I think, and then just regular old ice water.  You don't want to overdo the electrolytes, which is great advice and WELL worth bringing up IdentityCrisisMama!

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#40 of 43 Old 03-07-2011, 11:29 AM

One of the birth groups on Facebook recently posted this: http://www.keeperofthehome.org/2009/06/healthy-natural-pregnancy-laboraid-recipe.html

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#41 of 43 Old 03-07-2011, 10:52 PM

www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com  has cases of coconut water that you can order.  Shipping isn't too terrible, and it supports a small family-owned-and-run business.  Prices are lower if you join their buyer's club.

They also sell in various retail outlets around the country if you check their website, including:

Bonne Sante Health Foods
1512 East 53rd Street
Chicago, IL  60615
773-667-5700

I'm sure there is some price markup though if you go retail, although then you are not paying for shipping.  It might be good to check both, especially if you plan to buy in bulk.

#42 of 43 Old 03-07-2011, 11:30 PM

What exactly does coconut water taste like?  I have never tried it before.  Does it taste exactly like if you were eating coconut meat?  Just wondering.

Jessie

#43 of 43 Old 03-08-2011, 11:01 AM

not exactly, it does taste coconut like. It's hard to describe. It's kind of like "rich" water, maybe ever so slightly sweet. I'm sorry, that's the best I can do! Give it a shot, see what you think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by briannas auntie View Post

What exactly does coconut water taste like?  I have never tried it before.  Does it taste exactly like if you were eating coconut meat?  Just wondering.

Jessie

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page