Push to make homebirth ILLEGAL in CT ***hearing on March 10th*** - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-23-2011, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The Connecticut Department of Health's Medical Examining Board previously ruled that Midwifery is the UNLAWFUL Practice of Medicine. An appeal to this ruling has been filed in a court of law and arguments will be heard March 10th.

These proceedings may dictate future access to Homebirth by indepedent midwives or CPM's.  If this issue is close to your heart, please come to the New Britain courthouse to show your SUPPORT for Independent Homebirth Midwifery.
mommato5 likes this.

born to be a mom to Lilah Rose at home on 7-18-06 and a cranky wife to Johnny 12-05 ::
Home birth to Eirwen Claire on 1-06-11
#2 of 12 Old 02-23-2011, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Are there many supporters of homebirth in CT? I grew up in CT (Berlin) and moved to have my baby at home in OR back in 1997. I never really found much of an underground (or any really) supporters of homebirth while I was pregnant there. How many midwives are in the area? I just posted this on FB to all my CT friends. Thank you for fighting for womens rights to peaceful birth!!!!!

#3 of 12 Old 02-24-2011, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

nak

Oh we are here (wink wink).  I have had 2 hb, and I know my midwives are very busy.   It is rather underground because of the gray area in which they work.  there are not so many midwives anymore that I know of... One very public one, and the others work quietly. 

Thanks for the support!  There is a fb event:  http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=112304405513636&ref=notif&notif_t=event_invite 

born to be a mom to Lilah Rose at home on 7-18-06 and a cranky wife to Johnny 12-05 ::
#4 of 12 Old 02-24-2011, 06:45 PM

DD and I will be there!

Bridget born 6/10/08 by C Section
Grant born 4/15/11 HBAC turned CBAC

#5 of 12 Old 02-25-2011, 10:37 AM

Please make sure that you cross post this in the CT tribal area so that lots of mamas see it!

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#6 of 12 Old 02-26-2011, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiamom View Post

Please make sure that you cross post this in the CT tribal area so that lots of mamas see it!

check!  thumb.gif

#7 of 12 Old 03-04-2011, 04:19 PM

We are going to do our very best to be there!!!

Beth )O( Homeschooling Mama to blahblah.gif DS (7) luxlove.gif DD (5) and sleepytime.gif DS (1) & #4 on the way in October!!! love.gif
 homebirth.jpgecbaby2.giffemalesling.GIFbf.jpgsewmachine.gifrainbow1284.gifnovaxnoIRC.gifphotosmile2.gif

#8 of 12 Old 03-07-2011, 07:09 AM

MAMAMILLE!

WOAH! REALLY?! I live in Northern CT and we are using Birth and Beyond for our September birth. I had NO idea this might happen! Who is for-fronting this attack???! Private message me if you like.

THANKS!

And Baby makes five!!! grouphug.gif +dog2.gif x2!
#9 of 12 Old 03-08-2011, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Dlynn918- don't know if you are on facebook but there is an event "save midwifery in CT" that tells all the details.  It seems as if there is a group that is mobilizing called United Familes for Midwifery Care, but I don't know anything about them.  I have had 2 homebirths in the state and would be loathed to have to go even more underground then it seems we have to anyway. 

Hey quick question- Are you planning a homebirth with B+B?  I don't know any CNM that do homebirths in CT...

#10 of 12 Old 03-08-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamille View Post

Hey Dlynn918- don't know if you are on facebook but there is an event "save midwifery in CT" that tells all the details.  It seems as if there is a group that is mobilizing called United Familes for Midwifery Care, but I don't know anything about them.  I have had 2 homebirths in the state and would be loathed to have to go even more underground then it seems we have to anyway. 

Hey quick question- Are you planning a homebirth with B+B?  I don't know any CNM that do homebirths in CT...

Yes, B&B and they currently do home births in CT with 2 CNM's. Ive heard nothing but good things about them before I called them myself. Had my second apt today (12 weeks) and Im very happy with the quality of care Ive received as well as the professionalism. So you know of B&B but thought they were CPM's?

I will attend on Thursday if I don't have to work and yes I have heard of that group but I don't know much about them.

And Baby makes five!!! grouphug.gif +dog2.gif x2!
#11 of 12 Old 03-10-2011, 06:17 PM

We couldn't make it, anyone know how it went? I'm due in a month and a half, so now just in case my midwives are doing the birth off the books. Not that I mind, but it pisses me off that they have to do that! They will likely stop doing births in CT now because of it and stick with MA.

Bridget born 6/10/08 by C Section
Grant born 4/15/11 HBAC turned CBAC

#12 of 12 Old 03-11-2011, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

Never having attended a court proceeding before I thought it was very interesting.  My take on what conspired was that the judge didn't want his ruling to affect midwifery practices in CT, that this was an individual hearing pertaining to individuals, that he felt that the board of health had been over-zealous with the cease and desist order, but that MaryEllen and Joan had overstepped their bounds when the birth became complicated.  There was talk about where the line of assessment is, when does it become the practice of med., and if the midwives act conservatively and transport their client, then they open themselves up to the judgment of the medical community.  That there is no opportunity of direct entry midwives to get licensed unless they want to become nurses, and that the livelihood of the midwives rely on the freedom to do what's best for their client.

He has 4 months to make a ruling. 

There was a ton of people there- over 60 adults, and they had to switch courtrooms because of the number.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page