Gifts for Midwife and Assistant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 02-25-2011, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm wondering what the consensus is on gifts for your midwife and her helper(s). Is this common, does everyone do it, no one, etc. And if you did gift your midwife(s) something, what type of gift did you give? Any help is appreciated! I had my baby girl at home 3 weeks ago and am sending out birth announcements, thank you cards, etc. and would like to include a gift for my wonderful midwives, but I'm not coming up with anything specific and would LOVE any ideas! TIA!

#2 of 19 Old 02-25-2011, 05:41 PM

I think giving a gift to the person that helped at the delivery of your child is appropriate but not a requirment. I recently gave my midwife a gift certificate for a 60 minute massage and her apprentice a 30-minute massage.  I gave it to them at my 6-week postpardum appointment. They seemed to be very appreciative.   For DD1, I gave my family practice doctor that delivered her a religious icon (he is orthodox and we had discussed icons several times in the past - I knew that he liked them).

Catholic wife to S and mama to my two loveys V dd1 10/04 and G dd2 11/10 - #3 due in August 2013.  Here we go again.  homebirth.jpgwinner.jpg selectivevax.gifcd.gif

#3 of 19 Old 02-26-2011, 04:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I think it's totally appropriate, and am giving our midwives a collection of tea blends and herbal salves my friend makes (annamana.com).  I also plan on including a picture of the family and a pretty crystal to hang from the window.  But I think anything would be great.

(with my first birth I intended on gifts but didn't follow through and I think that is ok too)

born to be a mom to Lilah Rose at home on 7-18-06 and a cranky wife to Johnny 12-05 ::
Home birth to Eirwen Claire on 1-06-11
#4 of 19 Old 02-26-2011, 01:18 PM

We also gave our midwives gifts at our 6 weeks PP appointment. We gave them each those rose quartz crystal candle holders. A friend had given me one for our birth and I loved its glow while labouring. I don't know if a lot of people do it, but it felt right to us.

Wife to great guy and mama to 2 beautiful girls S Oct 15, 2008 and Z March 22, 2011
#5 of 19 Old 02-28-2011, 01:01 PM

#6 of 19 Old 02-28-2011, 01:10 PM

I liked the idea of a book for her library - my MW had never heard of the book "Exercising through your pregnancy" even though she has a large lending library, so I plan to get her that.

I also heard you can gift a MW "kit" for use in developing nations - (Sorry, forget the name of the organization) which I thought was fantastic! I know I personally have enough "stuff" so that sounds like a great gift to me.

#7 of 19 Old 02-28-2011, 06:27 PM

I gave my MW and her assistant from my pg with ds3 gifts. This time I'm knitting them socks because they were both admiring some that I was wearing that I had made for myself.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#8 of 19 Old 03-01-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegBoz View Post

I liked the idea of a book for her library - my MW had never heard of the book "Exercising through your pregnancy" even though she has a large lending library, so I plan to get her that.

I also heard you can gift a MW "kit" for use in developing nations - (Sorry, forget the name of the organization) which I thought was fantastic! I know I personally have enough "stuff" so that sounds like a great gift to me.

I gave my midwives a book too.  I appreciated all the books I got to read from their lending library so I gave them one that I read that they didn't have.  I think the gift of a MW kit for someoone in a developing nation is an awesome idea, too.

When I was first planning my HB I thought gifts were a little overkill (I think we are a little too gift-happy in this country, for the most part) but after I every thing was said and done I wanted to give them the Earth, moon & stars so a book seemed completely appropriate.

Mumma to DS July 2010 and expecting another baby boy late July 2012 belly.gif

#9 of 19 Old 03-03-2011, 03:17 AM

I'm intending on making a necklace.  Mostly because I found a charm of a baby rumping (crowning, but bum first) and my midwife has an interest in breech birth.  I haven't picked out the rest of the stones yet though.

#10 of 19 Old 03-04-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegBoz View Post

Does anyone know any more details about this organization?  I think it would make a perfect gift but I've had no luck googling.

“A woman in Birth is at once her most powerful, and most vulnerable. But any woman who has birthed unhindered understands that we are stronger than we know.” –Marcie Macari
#11 of 19 Old 03-08-2011, 01:21 AM

http://secure.jamesavery.com/jewelry/search/product/R-1305/Mothers-Love-Ring/

We gave our midwives this ring...

Married to my high school sweetheart (15years), Mamma to 3 boyspeace.gif (2000), whistling.gif(2003), blahblah.gif (2007) and growing a new little one stork-suprise.gif due late July 2011. 
#12 of 19 Old 03-08-2011, 10:58 AM

After reading this thread I thought long & hard on what I can give my midwives. A friend who will be present at the birth & is assigned to take care of my two kids is a painter. I have asked her to absorb the experience & emotions while being there and, through her own artistic interpretation, paint a picture for me to give the midwives as a gift. Here's hoping we can pull this off! 

#13 of 19 Old 03-09-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalcm View Post

Does anyone know any more details about this organization?  I think it would make a perfect gift but I've had no luck googling.

https://www.thehungersite.com/store/item.do?siteId=220&itemId=32493 

there are several things like this and organizations that do this on the site.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#14 of 19 Old 03-09-2011, 03:52 PM

Thanks for sharing the link.  I'm in Canada and found that Plan Canada has a similar gift option in case anyone else is interested:

http://plancanada.ca/giftsofhope/shopexd.asp?id=26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana731 View Post

https://www.thehungersite.com/store/item.do?siteId=220&itemId=32493 

there are several things like this and organizations that do this on the site.

“A woman in Birth is at once her most powerful, and most vulnerable. But any woman who has birthed unhindered understands that we are stronger than we know.” –Marcie Macari
#15 of 19 Old 03-09-2011, 04:06 PM

i love reading all the different gift ideas! they are so great! i gave our MW a garden stone made by a close friend of mine, she sells them on Etsy. To get to her front door where we had appointments you walk through a beautiful and very eclectic garden. It said "Nest" and a pregnant goddess with a gemstone in the belly and another heart stone. We had a sign in our living room that said "Nest" when i was in labor and our MW moved it to our bedroom where the tub was and where gave birth. So the sign was in some of our pictures which was beautiful. Also the doula held it up in some pics being silly (like the garden gnome that appears everywhere) so it was a fun memory too. I included a small stack of pictures of our labor and a few favorites of his first year.

#16 of 19 Old 03-10-2011, 10:31 AM

We had a friend who make silver jewelry design and make our two midwives some lovely, birth-related necklaces.  It was Dh's idea, and he actually made sure it happened...  That was after our 3rd birth...  I always intended to do something before, but was so busy caring for a newborn that I never followed through.  I'm trying to decide what to do for this birth --  I love the idea of giving a book for their lending library. 

Mama to 4 girls    chicken3.gif5/05, 12/07, 9/09, 3/11   winner.jpghomeschool.gifhomebirth.jpg

#17 of 19 Old 03-11-2011, 05:36 PM

At my very first appointment, my midwife and I got talking about alternative menstrual products.  She expressed that she has always been interested in a diva cup, but never got around to buying one.  So I thought I'd buy her a diva cup as a thank you gift.  A little off the wall - I know - but I think she'll appreciate it.  Mind you, she is now pregnant herself and due in July (I'm due in May) so I also might make her a batch of my homemade Belly Balm.  We'll see...

#18 of 19 Old 03-18-2011, 05:18 PM

I'm thinking of gifting my midwife a glass pendant depicting a pregnant woman and birth partner.  I have one, and to me the birth partner figure is my husband, but I suppose the partner could as easily be a woman/midwife.  I also might give her a copy of "Hello Baby!" by Jenni Overend which is a gorgeous childrens book about a homebirth with a midwife.  I figure she would enjoy it, and could also lend it to clients who have kids.

Diana, homebirthing, homeschooling, homemaking wife and mother of two (plus one more coming this Spring)!
Wrap Your Baby Comfy, versatile baby carriers and lots of wrap instruction.
Preparing to move our family of five into a motorhome and live on the road fulltime at Free Range Dreams.
#19 of 19 Old 03-23-2011, 06:01 AM

I loved reading these, such great gifts! With DD2 midwives had Mothering magazines in their office from years before, so I gave my previous midwives subscriptions to Mothering and Wondertime (no longer in print) magazines for their office, that I renewed on my daughters first birthday. This time I am not sure, I have only been to my midwifes office 2-3 times and am going to keep have been looking around for ideas.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page