Homebirth after pre-eclampsia and c-section? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-14-2002, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am 14 weeks pregnant with number # 2. Number # 1 resulted in severe preeclampsia and c-section delivery at 34 weeks. I really, really want a homebirth and am going to discuss it with my midwife a my 16 weeks appointment but I am was just wondering if you all think she will even consider it with my history. Is it stupid of me to want a homebirth after the first experience? I am in Ontario, Canada by the way and there is only one midwife in my area.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2002, 01:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Go for it!!! I support you all the way. (well, read on for qualifiers)
Homebirth is the way to go for most of us, most of the time!!

As I understand it, this is what I'll bet your midwife will say:
The two issues, now that they're in the past, are separate from each other.
1.)Having a homebirth after cesarean (HBAC) is a perfectly reasonable plan for most women. The first thing to look at is the kind of incision you had, and the method used to suture afterward. If you had the bikini cut, many would actually say that homebirth could be safer, what with the one-on-one watchful care of your midwife and the lack of temptation to artificially induce you in any way. (A common recommendation, though, is to do it within a 30 minute drive from a hospital.)

2.)Pre-eclampsia does not have to repeat itself! Generally, it's purely a function of diet!! Doctors have long misunderstood this problem, but have now come to agree with midwives that, yes, what we eat does affect our health!:
The key is to eat LOTS of protein while pregnant, day in and day out. Drink plenty of water. Do eat salt to taste: this is what doc's used to misunderstand- they thought that the way salt encourages us to retain water to be a bad thing, when in fact it is very important while we're pregnant! We're making lots of extra blood to be able to supply our own bodies as well as give adequate flow to the placenta and babe as well. Don't worry about gaining too much weight.
Gail and Tom Brewer have a great, very readable book on this subject: What Every Pregnant Woman Should Know.

I say, read as much as you can, talk to your midwife as much as you can, and GO FOR IT!
Best of luck!

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

Old 05-16-2002, 02:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just discovered Dr. Brewer's website thru Midwifery Today's site.
(which is also a terrific resource)

check it out!!Dr. Brewer's site

best,
ramlah

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

User Tag List