♨BIRTH TUB ♨ - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 04-05-2011, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Location: Basking In the Chaos of 4 Small Children Who Call Me Mom
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Okay, So we were planning on getting the Birth Pool in a Box. http://www.1cascade.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=4527 Loved how it's made specifically for Home Birth, with the handles, cup holder, seat...We going to split the cost with my midwife and give it to her afterward so she can rent it out to her other clients.

Well, we are kind of running out of money. And it would be nice to not have to 'splurge'. I was just wondering if getting this one (http://www.amazon.com/Swim-Center-Ocean-Reef-Pool/dp/B00005OARQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301986782&sr=8-1) would be seriously downgrading or if there wouldn't be much of a noticeable difference.

It seems Big and Deep enough, I have heard good things about it. This will be my first homebirth and probably last baby. I want it to be really special and comfortable. But if I can save $170 bucks, I am ALL For that!

Note, I am 5'9 and over 250lbs.

The only 'Downs' I can think of are

1. No seat. Even though the floor is inflatable/cushiony I wanted a seat in case the baby's cord is short or to assist me in a squat position.

2. The BPIAB is more slender and smaller-oval as opposed to round. Therefore, It seems there would be less area for the water to be 'exposed' and chilled, and the pool itself would fit better/save room in the space we have. I am Due at the End of July so I am Not really worried about the temperature of the water. pinktongue.gif

So, WHat is y'all's Opinion? I have heard nothing but good about the Kiddie Pool. I guess I am just looking for reasurrance that if I go with it, it will be a good decision I won't regret.

WHAT WOULD BE A GOOD SEAT/SUPPORT ALTERNATIVE? Do I really need one?

Brittanyfly-by-nursing2.gif Wife to Cedricblowkiss.gif (heartbeat.gif4-9-05heartbeat.gif) Mommy to: Gideon Edmundsuperhero.gifG.E.M.(2-1-07)stillheart.gif

Miscarried Isabelle Aurora2ndtri.gif I.A.M. (12-12-08) Lorelei Ariahwool.gifL.A.M.(1-14-10)stillheart.gif  Youtube.com/user/murillomania

Tabitha Ivy Esperanza babyf.gifT.I.E.M.(7-17-11) My First h20homebirth.gif  stillheart.gifPhineas Alexander Lyric babyboy.gifP.A.L.M.(3-30-13) rainbow1284.gifuc.jpg

#2 of 16 Old 04-05-2011, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Oh. And Can anyone suggest a good (Disposable) Liner for the Kiddie Pool?

Brittanyfly-by-nursing2.gif Wife to Cedricblowkiss.gif (heartbeat.gif4-9-05heartbeat.gif) Mommy to: Gideon Edmundsuperhero.gifG.E.M.(2-1-07)stillheart.gif

Miscarried Isabelle Aurora2ndtri.gif I.A.M. (12-12-08) Lorelei Ariahwool.gifL.A.M.(1-14-10)stillheart.gif  Youtube.com/user/murillomania

Tabitha Ivy Esperanza babyf.gifT.I.E.M.(7-17-11) My First h20homebirth.gif  stillheart.gifPhineas Alexander Lyric babyboy.gifP.A.L.M.(3-30-13) rainbow1284.gifuc.jpg

#3 of 16 Old 04-05-2011, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My midwife lent us a La Bassine tub for my labor and I purchased a plastic dropcloth (4 mm thick I believe - thickest they had) and some duct tape. Worked like a charm and cost ~$10 for dropcloth and tape.

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#4 of 16 Old 04-05-2011, 11:26 AM

Our tub had handles which I did use!  Never thought about needing a stool, but if you need one just buy a cheap plastic one. 

#5 of 16 Old 04-05-2011, 12:45 PM

If you're splitting the cost why will it be $170? Your midwife will easily make plenty back by renting it herself so maybe she is willing to pay a bit more? The group of midwives I use just started renting these (otherwise they have Aqua Doulas) and they charge $150 for the Pool in a Box (that includes a new liner).

http://compare.ebay.com/like/140491414435?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&rvr_id=223234449137&crlp=1_263602_304662&UA=WXF%3F&GUID=4a5363c91230a0437293e8b3ffee2921&itemid=140491414435&ff4=263602_304662

We just set up our Pool in the Box (I'm 38 weeks now) and I am so excited about it! It was easy to set up and all the stuff came in one bag that was easy and lightweight to carry. We purchased a new hose to fill it with for $8 and a cheap drop cloth to cover it once it's filled and we're not using it yet to keep the heat in.

#6 of 16 Old 04-05-2011, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liea View Post

If you're splitting the cost why will it be $170? Your midwife will easily make plenty back by renting it herself so maybe she is willing to pay a bit more?

Well We will be paying the entire $195 and then she is going to take off $100 from her fee.

#7 of 16 Old 04-05-2011, 05:26 PM

I used the fishy pool twice, but mine was slightly smaller. I think it was 60 inches across.  I am your height and found it comfortable.  I don't know how much the seat adds to it as I've never had it and don't know what I'm missing!  lol.gif  But the inflatable bottom has been more than enough to keep me comfortable on my knees or sitting down while laboring.  The first time I gave birth semi-sitting, and that was not as comfy or easy as being on hands and knees in the second waterbirth. I leaned on the wall of the pool and my DH was easily able to reach across to catch our son as he came out.  Honestly I think the fishy pool is awesome- it's perfectly serviceable for birth and I can't see spending so much on a different pool (maybe if money was no object and I was just curious to compare?)  I will be using the same one again for baby #4.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#8 of 16 Old 04-05-2011, 05:38 PM

I have had 8 waterbirths, 7 in a kiddie pool and one in my garden tub. My preference is the 60" one. I did not like the 75" hexagon one or the 120" we had w/ one birth. It seemed to big for me. I am 5'5" and have been from 225-274 at birth. I feel just fine in the kiddie pool and feel no need to switch to a fancier pool, even though we now have the money for whatever pool I desire. 

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#9 of 16 Old 04-05-2011, 06:43 PM

This is the one we used for our homebirth - definitely used the handles! http://www.yourwaterbirth.com/la-bassine-birthing-eco-pools-la-bassine-®-birthing-pools-p-276.html

#10 of 16 Old 04-07-2011, 11:35 AM

That's a huge difference in price. Are handles and a seat worth $170? I wouldn't think so. My mw recommends the kiddie pool. I don't have any personal experience though.

Harmony, mom of dd (14), ds (11), ds (4) and having #4 in June
#11 of 16 Old 04-08-2011, 06:49 PM

Comprehensive birth pool comparison chart is linked here:

http://www.yourwaterbirth.com/compare-birth-pools-ac-19.html

My 2 cents is that waterbirth pools were designed for that purpose, for a reason.  They are thicker, sturdier, deeper, and often less toxic than the kiddie pools.  The liners are designed to fit them correctly.  Some of them even have a cover to minimize heat loss when you're not in the tub. 

Is there anyone in your area who rents birth pools?  That could be another cost-effective option.

#12 of 16 Old 04-09-2011, 02:20 PM

the comparison chart was helpful thanks! I still don't think that the differences are worth more than a hundred  dollars though.

Harmony, mom of dd (14), ds (11), ds (4) and having #4 in June
#13 of 16 Old 04-10-2011, 10:21 PM

I used the birth pool in a box last time and loved it!!  I tried a kiddie pool with the previous birth and just had to get out.  The water level didn't totally cover my belly so it didn't help much.  However it wasn't the kiddie pool you linked to that one looks deeper.

In my experience, with my labors being very quick and intense, I didnt need to use the stool or the handles but the main issue was just making sure the water covered my abdomen all the way.  If the kiddie pool you listed is deep enough, it shouldnt be a prob.

I leaned forward over the side of the birth pool and delivered in semi-squatting position on my knees.  Now that I think about it, I may have held on to the handles for a bit during each contraction until the midwife arrived, then she held my hands during each one.

I loved how easy the BPIAB set up and the liner was a perfect fit.  It made set up very quick since my labor was only 2 hours!

Again, just make sure whatever you get is deep enough.

homebirth.jpg  waterbirth.jpg buddamomimg1.pngmama to the Brady bunch 3 boys, 3 girls. 

DS Jan '02, DD Jan '04, DD Oct '05, DS Spt '07, DS Jan '10, DD Jun '11 Ouruc.jpg

#14 of 16 Old 04-12-2011, 01:01 PM

We bought the "doodle pool" off of amazon. It's 60x20'' and only $25. It doesn't have an inflatable bottom, but I just put our bathroom rugs underneath it, and it feels pretty cushy. As an added perk, you can color on the top and sides with the crayons that come with it. : )

#15 of 16 Old 04-15-2011, 04:49 PM

I used the kiddie pool with our DS. I would've used it with DD, but our labor was so fast, I didn't have time! I loved it, though, and thought it was coomfortable, and worked very well. I am only 5'7", and have a slimmer frame, so I donn't know if that would make a difference.

Melissa Wife to DHpartners.gif, Mom to DSbouncy.gif (3 y.o.) and DD wave.gif (infant) We are a homebirthing, no circ, select and delay vax, cosleeping, full-term breastfeeding happy family!

#16 of 16 Old 06-07-2012, 08:51 PM

If you are looking for a birthing pool let me know as I have an inflatable spa that I am selling. Seats 2 very comfortably with a lot of room to spare. 

It hasn't been used very much, maybe 1 season for a total of 6 times or so. It has 3 temperature settings and it has tons of tiny holes if you wanted to turn on bubbles to relax. I got it at Big lots for $450 I believe. I could sell it to you for $150, but I live in Dallas so I don't know how much shipping would be. Email me at salliebrigance@yahoo.com if you are interested of if you want to see pictures. Good Luck! Thanks, Sallie

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page