GBS Pos and HB - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-01-2011, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just found out I'm positive. My MW has no problem with me doing a HB still, but I just need some more info. She said we could discuss what options I have for before/during labor. I know there are things to eat, take, insert, etc. Anyone have some good links or able to just tell me things I can consider doing? TIA.

~Christy, wife to M and mother to M and A, expecting baby #3 in May 2011 Planning our first HBAC!
#2 of 10 Old 05-02-2011, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

My SIL tested positive. She took garlic capsules 3 times a day for about 3 days, and then followed with a potent probiotic 3 times a day. I think she even put some of the probiotic powder into her vagina to repopulate it with friendly bacteria. She had the test done again and it was negative.

Some midwives will do a hibiclense (sp) when you first go into labor, but I dont know too much about that.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#3 of 10 Old 05-02-2011, 11:40 AM

I was positive with DS2.

I was going to do the hibicleanse, but DS2 was born too fast - I got as far as getting the bottle out and then *bang*, urge to push.  DS2 was fine - we were extra alert for any complications, but he did not get GBS.

The normal protocol is to do it at the start of labor, and then in intervals (4 or 8 hours, not sure which).  It's like a douche - kills off everything, but only temporarily. 

Mom to two intact boys, born at home. DS1 11/07, DS2 9/10
#4 of 10 Old 05-02-2011, 05:16 PM

I've been told by our mw to take grapefruit seed extract and load up on very good probiotics (she mentioned one by Jarrow called Fem-dolphilus) since I have a history of GBS (lots of GBS UTIs with past pregnancies) .  I'm at the end of my first trimester though--I have no idea if it's appropriate to take either of these things in the 3rd trimester (I'm sure it is fine but I have not looked that far KWIM?).  Good luck--I know the GBS things sucks. I've been + with all 4 of my kids and it can be concerning.

Wendy  Wife to my sweet husband, homeschooling mom to 4 little girls and a new blessing due in November! chicken3.gif
#5 of 10 Old 05-03-2011, 08:05 PM

Here's a link to some studies on the efficacy of hibiclens for GBS (really effective, and yes: it's temporary, but so are antibiotics, since GBS can recolonize any time). Here's the protocol.

I would (and did) do all the other stuff as well--probiotics, megadoses of vitamin C, grapefruit seed extract, garlic... But if you really want to be sure, hibiclens is the only way to do it.

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

#6 of 10 Old 05-05-2011, 08:09 PM

I offer to my clients all of the things already mentioned. Hibiclense is my favorite choice. Just remember that in women that are positive but untreated 1-2 babies will become infected out of 200 (less than 1%). and midwives are trained to look for the signs of infection in babies. Good luck!

#7 of 10 Old 05-07-2011, 11:50 AM

The information I was given with my first PG, where I tested GBS+, was that the risk is pretty minimal during and up the first 18hrs after your water breaks. For me, my water broke first, that was how my labor started, so our clock was ticking. My MW protocol was after 18 hours with water broken, we would transport for antibiotics. I delivered at 16.5 hours after my water breaking, so we were fine.

COnsidering that many women's water doesn't break until much later in their labors, you may not need to do very much at all, though the preventative measures others have mentioned probably can't hurt at all, and probably help.

Amanda, DW to Drew, mom to Ella, 7, Gardner, 2, homesteading on the edge of the continent on the Lost Coast.
mdcblog5.gif California Homesteading, http://eastmillcreek.blogspot.com

#8 of 10 Old 05-07-2011, 04:43 PM

How do you know what to look for in a "high quality" probiotic? I just bought one yesterday and stood there for probably 10 minutes looking at the different choices before just grabbing one. Are there certain strains that are good to look for? And are there certain numbers of colonization to look for? Or a certain brand that is good? Where would you find them?

Jenica- Wife to R & mama to C 8/27/09, my little blonde bombshell and D 7/23/11, whom we love so much we gave him an extra chromosome      cd.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIF

#9 of 10 Old 05-07-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamahen2coop View Post

How do you know what to look for in a "high quality" probiotic? I just bought one yesterday and stood there for probably 10 minutes looking at the different choices before just grabbing one. Are there certain strains that are good to look for? And are there certain numbers of colonization to look for? Or a certain brand that is good? Where would you find them?

My naturopath recommended a couple of brands, one is Udo's, I can't remember what the other brand was. Basically, she said those 2 brands were as good as the ones she sells. We get the Udo's (I use the Super 8 one) at one of the smaller health food stores in town, it's about $18 for 30 pills. The pills have 30 billion cells at manufacture, and are guaranteed to have at least 15 billion cells at their "use by" date. I've also seen them at Whole Foods, but they cost a couple dollars more there.

doula, wife to Dave ribbonyellow.gif, mom to Noah (5/14/06) superhero.gifand Faith (11/13/08) ribbonlime.gif (Gastroschisis Awareness) 127 days in the NICU, and 6 weeks thousands of miles from home, because of gastroschisis.  Expecting #3 2ndtri.gif July 2011! computergeek2.gif www.frugallynatural.org
#10 of 10 Old 05-09-2011, 07:01 PM

Our midwife recommended Fem-dolphilus by Jarrow. She said that that is the kind of probiotic that goes through your reproductive system too.

Wendy  Wife to my sweet husband, homeschooling mom to 4 little girls and a new blessing due in November! chicken3.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page