Getting the most from Tricare for HB...HELP! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-03-2011, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am trying desperately to jump through Tricare's hoops but keep getting knocked down at every turn. 

I am on Tricare-Prime Remote. I am in an area (SF bay area) where there are a lot of CNMs in my network. However none of them do HBs. So I found an CNM that is out-of network that does HB and got a referral to her from my PCM. Tricare denied it saying that she wasn't found in their system as certified. I had her send in her info, tax id #, cert # the works. They said they aren't showing this info but that I am okay to see her for my care but as a POS (point of service) care provider. This would mean paying 300.00 deductible and then 50% of remaining. 

So my CNM charges 4700.00 so if they allow this then I would pay around 2500.00 out of pocket. I am wondering if it would be cheaper to switch to Standard and continue to see her? Its my understanding that I would pay a copay and then only 20% of allowable charges. This is where it gets sketchy...whats allowable? Will they tell me this amount if I call and ask? I have seen on older threads that they will pay 1500.00 for standard which would mean I would be left with 3200.00.

Has anyone else had problems with this? Should I keep fighting to get it covered under Prime-remote?

I am super frustrated here. I was hoping they would cover around 3000.00 but its looking less and less like that will be the case. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. 

#2 of 3 Old 05-09-2011, 08:11 PM

I am in the same boat. prime remote and trying to get my hm CNM to be covered. I am waiting on a call back. I'm hopping they will allow the referral since the hospital CNMs don't do home birth. I have heard that tricare will only pay 1500 which would stink especially since they paid 5k for my unmedicated hospital birth a few years ago. I asked about that and they said it had to do with billing codes and of course the place that handles billing codes does not have a phone number only a mailing address for questions. wish I could be of help. I will be calling again tomorrow to see what I can find out.

#3 of 3 Old 05-10-2011, 04:12 PM

With Standard TriCare only pays $1500 for a homebirth. There is something about how a HCP cannot charge more than 15% above the usual and customary fee for a service, which means that you would not have to pay more than your deductible, copay and that 15%. I don't know how the $1500 that TC pays falls into that usual and customary fee. In other words, I don't know if the $1500 is the usual and customary fee and with Standard you would pay your deductible, copay and 15% (if your hcp charges you that) and then TC pays the difference between that and $1500 or if the usual and customary fee is, for example, $3000 and you would have to make up the difference plus possibly an additional 15% of the difference after the $1500 TC payment. I hope that makes sense.

It may also be that TC pays $1500 toward the actual birth but also covers prenatals on a per appointment basis. In that case, if your midwife knows how to bill, she could get paid for each prenatal plus the $1500 for the birth. That might mean that your deductible and copay total would end up being less with Standrad. That's something to specifically ask about at TriCare. I would ask to speak to a supervisor rather than just a regular customer service rep. They don't always know all the rules.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Tags
Homebirth Insurance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page