Birthing Pool vs. Regular Tub? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-23-2011, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just curious of how everyone feels about the birthing pools vs. tubs (vs. baby pools vs. any other method).

I'm not necessarily planning a water birth, but I do plan on spending lots of time in the tub!  Where I'll birth.... we won't know until the time comes!  But I'm wondering if it is worth it to get the birthing tub or if a regular tub would be just as good, or if anyone has had pleasant experiences with baby pools?

What are the pros and cons of any "tub" you've used?  Is a regular bathtub roomy enough and deep enough to comfortably labor/birth in?  If using a birthing pool or baby pool- what's the easiest method to fill it up?  How about keeping the water warm?  Emptying it?

#2 of 7 Old 05-25-2011, 10:37 AM

I was just wondering the exact same things, and I can't wait to hear some responses!  Sorry, I'm no help, just a curious onlooker... orngbiggrin.gif

#3 of 7 Old 05-25-2011, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)

I had a birthing tub.  We filled it with a garden hose, using an attachment from the tub.  It was pretty easy to fill up. I liked it because there was more room to move, and room for DH had he chosen to get in with me. My regular bath tub wouldn't have had enough room for me to squat and be covered in water, as I was in the birth tub.  I don't know how the midwives emptied the tub, but they did, and it didn't take very long to take care of honestly.  I know they used the same garden hose and ran the water right back into the bath tub. 

If you have the space, I would go with the birthing tub.  I think we had an aqua doula.  It was worth it, IMO.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#4 of 7 Old 05-26-2011, 06:06 PM

I am planning a water birth with this LO but haven't ever done it before.  I am planning on using our tub, but we have a very deep tub.  I can sit in it completely full and it goes up to my shoulders without laying back.  I like the idea of a tub because I think it's easier to clean up, plus I don't want my DH in the water with me (and I don't think he want to be in the water either) so I don't need anything bigger.

SAHMhomeschool.gif: to LCjog.gif (6-08) GJsuperhero.gif (3-06) KDREPlaySkateboard04HL.gif (3-04) and a new little on one the way1sttri.gif: and :megan, henrie, and apple and wife to BD for 12years now!!
#5 of 7 Old 05-27-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin057 View Post

Just curious of how everyone feels about the birthing pools vs. tubs (vs. baby pools vs. any other method).

I'm not necessarily planning a water birth, but I do plan on spending lots of time in the tub!  Where I'll birth.... we won't know until the time comes!  But I'm wondering if it is worth it to get the birthing tub or if a regular tub would be just as good, or if anyone has had pleasant experiences with baby pools?

What are the pros and cons of any "tub" you've used?  Is a regular bathtub roomy enough and deep enough to comfortably labor/birth in?  If using a birthing pool or baby pool- what's the easiest method to fill it up?  How about keeping the water warm?  Emptying it?

yeahthat.gif

When are you due? I think we're in the same boat- Hospital for #1, Home for #2?? I'm curious about the tubs too. Hubby says he has a stock water trough I could use and I've actually heard people have used them. It seems like it might be hard, literally. I labored in my jetted bathtub with DS and plan to again with this one, but I dont want to deliver in the tub. not sure why, it just seems dirty for some reason. Plus it's not deep enough if I wanted to be on hands and knees. SO I think my plan is to get some sort of birthing pool/tub and either labor there or in the bath tub but try to deliver in the tub or where ever seems right. Also, I think my midwife has a tub to rent, so maybe check with yours and see if that's an option so you at least have that as an option.

How much time does it take to get a tub if I ordered one? I'm almost 31 weeks so do I need to start getting my stuff together or can I procrastinate and mull my options forever like I usually do?

Jenica- Wife to R & mama to C 8/27/09, my little blonde bombshell and D 7/23/11, whom we love so much we gave him an extra chromosome      cd.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIF

#6 of 7 Old 05-27-2011, 03:01 PM

I'm planning on buying one online pretty soon. This thread was a tremendous help for me in deciding which to choose and how to set it up.

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#7 of 7 Old 05-28-2011, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

mamahen2coop - we are in the same boat!  Hospital now home :)  I'm due in Sept.

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions.  That was my main concern about a reg. tub... is that it wouldn't be deep enough to get comfy for birthing.  Unless I had a nice big tub like KD's Momma!!!  That sounds like a dream tub! lol

Anyhow, I did find this other thread on this site http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/589333/birth-pool-resources-and-information

LOTS of helpful info on exactly what you need and links and everything :)  And has a good point- baby pool will work the same as a birth pool but is WAY cheaper!

So... I think we'll just be getting an inflatable pool with good sturdy sides.  This way we'll be able to pick whichever size and style we want.  And I read on another site that many women preferred inflatable pools to the hard sided birth pools because it was more comfortable if they wanted to lean over the side during labor/birth.  The sides are wider, and obviously softer.

So for anyone that wants more info- defintitely check out the link!  I'm glad I found it because a regular size tub really would just be too cramped, but the birth pools are so expensive!  With the baby pool you can get everything you need for as little as $60.  And hey... then you have a pool to keep cool in the summer :P haha    I know my DS will be all too thrilled to play in it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page