Homebirth supply list....?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-31-2011, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am wanting to start getting supplies for a homebirth. We still have about 6 months before we start TTC but I am huge planner and plus I don't want to be worried about getting supplies while pregnant.

What are some supplies that I can start picking up this far in advance and not worrying about it going bad. Thanks

#2 of 5 Old 05-31-2011, 09:17 PM

Pretty much the entire birth kit isn't going to expire; however, all midwives have their own ideas about what are the necessary items in the birth kit.  Here's an example.

Kimberly, mom & wife - blogging.jpg about pregnancy and birth
DD 2004; 3 angel1.gif babies 2007-08; rainbow1284.gif twin DDs 2009; DD 7/12/11 hospital uhoh3.gif VBAC bouncy.gifafter 2 cesareans!

#3 of 5 Old 06-05-2011, 10:50 PM

All I purchased was a king size mattress cover, a cheap one from wal mart so we didnt wreck our good one. I went to value village and bought 2 large bags of used (but good shape) towels, disinftecting them first of course. Most went straight into the garbage and they only cost a few $ instead of wrecking good ones.

my midwife supplied her own things, herbs and pool etc.

erica.mommy to korbin (july 11/07) + taylor (june 21/09)
#4 of 5 Old 06-06-2011, 02:47 AM

The list our mw provided includes most things you would already have at home. Sheets for the bed, some kind of plastic cover for the bed (these I found at a dollar store), flashlight or good lamp, receiving blankets, old towels, thermometer, snacks for mom and partner, and lots of optional stuff like comfortable t-shirt for labour, olive oil for perineal massage/support, music, etc.

Nicole: mama to DD and DS, childbirth educator and doula. Dancing the spiral dance of life bellycast.gif

#5 of 5 Old 06-08-2011, 04:16 PM

most of the stuff for your birth kit is pretty easy to get. though some midwives will have you provide things that others don't. some things you will absolutely need: sheets you don't mind getting ruined, a plastic covering for the bed (this can be a shower curtain, a mattress protector), towels, receiving blankets, baby hats, a thermometer, pads for you, underpads (the large, flat absorbent pads that can usually be found with the depends), diapers, a heating pad or hot water bottle, it's a good idea to have ice packs or make frozen pads, a light source (to check for tearing and do any required stitches), garbage bags, hydrogen peroxide (for cleaning any blood). my midwife had me have a large bowl for catching the placenta, and I had a couple of dish tubs for puking into (not everyone does, but I puke during labor). 

you may also want on hand: herbs, Tylenol, ibuprofen, a peri bottle (amazing for peeing postpartum, especially if you tear), and lanolin for sore nipples. 

you will also want food in the house, you need to eat a lot postpartum, and depending on how long your labor is, those in attendance may need to eat, as might you. 

and you'll want a way of warming your bedroom pretty quickly, you get really hot during labor, but really cold right after. 

and I loved having bendy straws to drink from. 

labortrials likes this.

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page