Midwife care for homebirth nr Frederick, MD - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 06-06-2011, 02:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am a UK doula, currently 13 weeks pregnant and moving to Frederick, MD in August.  I'm getting a bit overwhelmed by the whole US birth system to be honest and could do with some help!  

I want to have a homebirth for my second baby and know there is the option of CNM or CPM care.  I'm veering towards looking for a CPM but understand they are not licensed (or is that legal?) in Maryland.  Does anyone know where I can start looking for one or can anyone recommend one in my area?

My first baby was an attempted homebirth which was transferred to hospital due to meconium in the waters (actually, it was just staining and he was 10 days overdue but I wasn't as clued up as I am now!).  He was OP but I only had a 10 hour labour, vaginal birth with entonox and a one degree tear, even though he was 4.76kg.  I'm sure I can birth naturally again.  

Can anyone help?  Thanks!

Lindsey

#2 of 12 Old 06-10-2011, 07:16 PM

I'm not a birth professional, but I used to be an ICAN Chapter Leader. I'm pretty sure Barbara Stratton of http://www.icanofbaltimore.org/site/  could help you find someone. She is a doula who has been active on the national level for VBAC advocacy. IIRC she attends HBing women in her doula practice.

If you haven't already, cross post in the MD Tribe forum: http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/list/81/maryland-metro-d-c-area-delaware 

HTH!

Kelly, blessed to be with Stephen, and mama to three little ladies with huge hearts:, lotsa energy:, and curious minds.
#3 of 12 Old 06-11-2011, 02:03 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Kelly, thanks so much for the information!  I will get in touch with Barbara.  I did cross-post on the Maryland tribe and got one response which was a fairly positive one!  Thank you :) L.x

#4 of 12 Old 06-19-2011, 08:47 PM

Definitely call Liz O'Shea....

~~~~~~~~~~

Liz O'Shea, LM, CPM

301-371-7429

301-788-0113

Amy,  organically growing 5 homeschooled sweetieshomeschool.gifhomebirth.jpg5 lossesbrokenheart.gifbelly.gif due this summer!
#5 of 12 Old 06-20-2011, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Amy, I have been in touch with Liz and she would be willing to take me on so I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is all going to turn out OK!

Best wishes, Lindsey x

#6 of 12 Old 06-22-2011, 08:32 PM

Hi there, I know that homebirth is officially illegal in MD; I know that there are a few women who do.  There is a new free standing birth center in northern VA in Chantilly, just opening up this month.  The midwives opening it are CPMs and have been practicing in this area for a few years.  Here is the website:

www.birthbydesign.org  and www.novabirthcenter.org

The distance from Frederick to Chantilly is about 45 miles; in minimal traffic it would be about an hour; in extreme traffic it could be like 90 minutes.  I just wanted to let you know about another option.

#7 of 12 Old 06-23-2011, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Bekka, it's always good to have other options! I don't think homebirth is illegal in MD, I think it just has to be attended by a CNM as CPMs aren't licensed - yet.  I'll look at the websites you posted, thanks! L.x

#8 of 12 Old 06-23-2011, 05:50 PM

Glad to help!  Good luck with everything!

Joy,

Amy

Amy,  organically growing 5 homeschooled sweetieshomeschool.gifhomebirth.jpg5 lossesbrokenheart.gifbelly.gif due this summer!
#9 of 12 Old 06-23-2011, 06:03 PM

I second the recommendation for Liz O'Shea!

read.gif + REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif =babyf.gif9/2011

#10 of 12 Old 06-23-2011, 06:25 PM
bax

Hi LinzW--

Welcome to Frederick! You're right on the legal status of home birth here. I've had a home birth with a CNM and one with a CPM in MD. :)

Was attended by L last week & had a wonderful experience. Hope she works out for you!

SAHM to Ada 8/15/2006, Calla 11/22/2008, and Wright 6/16/2011

#11 of 12 Old 06-25-2011, 10:17 PM

I've had two lovely births with Liz.  I loved her care!  Good luck1

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#12 of 12 Old 10-27-2011, 02:21 PM

To future people looking at this thread, it is NOT illegal to have a midwife attended home birth in the state of MD. You can legally have a CNM present at your birth, you can not have only a CPM present at the birth. There are options for midwife home birth, they are greatly limited though. There are options and riverside midwifery is one of them for the Frederick area. That is who I am using!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page