How to know where to birth in your home - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 06-12-2011, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The only place I can picture myself delivering is outside. Luckily it'll be July and the weather will be fine for it, unless it's night I guess. But I cannot picture myself delivering in my own bed. Maybe on the guest bed if I had to. But really I can only picture being outside.
So will I just know where feels comfortable when the time comes? Should I set up every place just in case? Would that mean I needed a couple sets of sheets for each bed (3)?
thanks

Jenica- Wife to R & mama to C 8/27/09, my little blonde bombshell and D 7/23/11, whom we love so much we gave him an extra chromosome      cd.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIF

#2 of 16 Old 06-12-2011, 04:29 PM

I watched a nice UC birth that took place in Germany where mom birthed outside in the garden. Looked great! If I had no neighbors I would set up birth pool on upstairs patio- maybe I will do that though? I have always had babies in my bathroom but that's because I had large tubs. I think that wherever you decide to birth make sure you don't have to far to get to your place of rest for afterwards. A guest room sounds lovely though IMO- a break from routine of sleeping in your own bedroom. Where will you have all the baby's supplies? You could always arrange a few baskets in each room with baby supplies so you have access to them no matter where you end up birthing.

#3 of 16 Old 06-12-2011, 05:06 PM

I never liked to birth in a bed - i have to have my feet on the floor...at least my knees!  I had one in the LR and one on my bedroom floor.  For me a summer birth meant turning on the A/C  - and one AC in the bedroom worked well - it also kept my noises to a minimum.  I cant imagine birthing outside - i can look out my kitchen window right into my neighbors dining room.... i might even be able to read the mail there.....

but if you have plenty of land - it would be GREAT to deliver outside...if you do - get that on videotape! 

oh, tip,- if you deliver on the bed - old sheet, then shower curtain liner, then another old sheet - after the birth, you can strip off the top sheet and liner and be ready for bed!  - get some 'chux' pads too - reusable or otherwise - you can use them on top of your sheets - under you....for weeks. 

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#4 of 16 Old 06-13-2011, 11:56 AM

My last was a UC and this one is a planned midwife assisted homebirth. I learned with the last one not to plan any certain spot to birth. I had planned to labor in my tub but when the time came, I did NOT want to get in there. I labored mostly sitting on the edge of the bed holding onto dh's neck, and ended up pushing on my knees on the floor holding on to a chair in front of me. He caught the baby from behind. So I am not planning any certain area. I definately can't birth outside as there are neighbors on both sides, in front and behind us. I am not worried about it, either. It'll happen where it happens :)

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#5 of 16 Old 06-13-2011, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

I am lucky enough to have no neighbors within shouting distance and a view of Hood Canal and the Olympic Mountains treehugger.gif
I just can only picture being outside. BUT, like you guys said- I'm not going to count on anything. End of July is the hottest time here in the PNW but that for us means 80's probably. Maybe 90's if it gets really hot mid-day. Hubby has a pop up shade thing that we take camping so I'm planning to put that up as there is no shade outside.

I am planning to get video and pictures but the birth photographer I want (and the only one near that I've found) is going on vacation basically my whole term time- 37-40+ weeks. so unless I get to about 40+ 5 then my sister will have to suffice... if she can make it here in time. So we'll see. I guess only another 4-9 more weeks and I'll find out!

Jenica- Wife to R & mama to C 8/27/09, my little blonde bombshell and D 7/23/11, whom we love so much we gave him an extra chromosome      cd.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIF

#6 of 16 Old 06-13-2011, 05:25 PM

I would love to give birth in my back yard but the people that live behind me might take issue with that.  LOL

I wanted to give birth in my craft room.  I don't know from day one when we moved into this house I thought that would be the perfect place, set up a birth tub and an air mattress.  The Kitchen is right there...  My Late husband and I agreed no more kids so I knew that wasn't going to happen but I just felt like that would be the perfect place to have a baby.  

Well he passed away, a room mate moved in to my craft room and my craft room was moved to the basement.  So now that I am expecting my new craft room (in the basement) will be where I give birth.   Where in the room I am not sure.   I have room for a tub (still haven't gotten that...)  I set up an air mattress, because my MW wants a bed near by just in case.  She asked what position I want to deliver in and I told her whatever feels right at the time.  With my 4th child I was in the hospital sitting on a birth ball when I had this overwhelming urge to stand up.  I did she turned/dropped and crowned in one contraction.  I would have given anything if they would have moved the birth ball and let me have her right there standing up.  So that is what I am kind of hoping for with this birth, that something will happen and I won't want to move I will just want to deliver him the way I am at that time. 

#7 of 16 Old 06-13-2011, 05:32 PM

I didn't have much choice because I live in an apartment. I had bathroom or bedroom. I ended up in the bedroom on the bed.

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#8 of 16 Old 06-13-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissamom View Post

I didn't have much choice because I live in an apartment. I had bathroom or bedroom. I ended up in the bedroom on the bed.

We were in an apartment for my UC. My bedroom was on the same (thin) wall as the neighbor's kitchen. I'm surprised they did not call the cops when I hit transition and was yelling that I was going to die. yeah, my births are not magical peaceful ones ;)

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#9 of 16 Old 06-14-2011, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerose View Post

We were in an apartment for my UC. My bedroom was on the same (thin) wall as the neighbor's kitchen. I'm surprised they did not call the cops when I hit transition and was yelling that I was going to die. yeah, my births are not magical peaceful ones ;)

I am rolling laughing right now. I am in an apartment and have a neighbor above me and one beside me. Luckily, the one beside me is a deaf mute, so she cant call the cops cuz she can't hear me. haha

purplerose likes this.
#10 of 16 Old 06-14-2011, 04:27 PM

I put all my birthing supplies in a moses basket- easily movable. Shower curtain in there could've been thrown on the bed in a flash if needed.

For me, dark, quiet and cool were the most important issues.  I considered outside (what a cool experience that would be), but then I wondered what I would do if I wanted to crawl or just be on my hands and knees. What if it was really hot and muggy? What if there were mosquitos out?

When it came time (nothing went at all like I had planned!), I crawled to the edge of my bed, leaned against it and stayed on my knees the whole time lol

I think you just need to try and get an idea of what factors are important to you.

#11 of 16 Old 06-17-2011, 08:33 AM

I place wrapped or sterile items that would be, possibly, needed right at birth on a flat cookie sheet and literally follow my clients around if she does get up from her bed or from near her bed. My clients birth wherever they want. Out of over 850 clients now, two have set up to give birth outside & changed their mind at the last minute.

Karen Benfield, CNM & owner of BirthTender, a homebirth nurse-midwifery practice near Hickory, NC & covering a 2 hr. radius

#12 of 16 Old 06-17-2011, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by just__angel View Post

I put all my birthing supplies in a moses basket- easily movable. Shower curtain in there could've been thrown on the bed in a flash if needed.

For me, dark, quiet and cool were the most important issues.  I considered outside (what a cool experience that would be), but then I wondered what I would do if I wanted to crawl or just be on my hands and knees. What if it was really hot and muggy? What if there were mosquitos out?

When it came time (nothing went at all like I had planned!), I crawled to the edge of my bed, leaned against it and stayed on my knees the whole time lol

I think you just need to try and get an idea of what factors are important to you.

thats the thing, I have no idea. I figure I wont know until I get there. I dont want to be in the jetted tub in the bathroom because I think it'll feel cramped if everyone was in there. I'm only planning to have DH, my sister, midwife and who ever she brings, and 1 friend/colleague there if she can make it.
Good to know about dark quiet and cool since there's only 1 bedroom in this house that fits that bill. I get full western exposure from 1pm til sunset so it gets hot up stairs in the evening. So much to think about!

#13 of 16 Old 06-19-2011, 08:26 PM

with your first birth, how did you birth (it was in a hospital but was it in bed, on a stool, in a tub)? did you like it or would you have preferred something else?  this may give you some insight into how you will want to birth this time and thus lead you to where you want to birth in your home.  with my first hospital birth, I ended up birthing on a stool and i really loved the solid feeling and control that it gave me during the pushing so I kind of knew that I would definitely want a stool as an option for my homebirth - and that is what I asked for when it came time to push at home.

I think you will know what's right once you go into labor - then you will have an idea of the timing of birth (day/night).  I guess in your case I would prepare for two birthing scenarios - one for outdoors and one for indoors.  you may not have a lot of time during your labor to get multiple sites prepared.  I don't think you need extra sheets for all the beds. you probably want extra sheets for the bed that you are going to sleep in after the birth (in case of leaking) and sheets for maybe one other bed that you might concider for birth or afterbirth.  you may not want to birth in a bed at all, and birth on the floor squating, on stool or hands and knees but then you will want a bed to go to soon after the birth - which one will that be for you?

i agree with pp - dark, quiet, cool and I would add private yet roomy (for everyone present).  my house is small and very open (with lots of windows) so I didn't have many choices.  our bedroom was the only place that was dark, quiet, cool and private enough that neighbors couldn't see in through the windows and it had the added bonus of glass french doors that look out at the western mountains (so it kind of felt like I was outdoors).  being close to a bathroom is also a good idea but not necessary. 

Catholic wife to S and mama to my two loveys V dd1 10/04 and G dd2 11/10 - #3 due in August 2013.  Here we go again.  homebirth.jpgwinner.jpg selectivevax.gifcd.gif

#14 of 16 Old 06-20-2011, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

The decision on where for me is less complicated as outdoors is completely not going to be an option..... January in Minnesota :)

So, I want easy access to music, a bathroom, a place to lay down, and a sense of coziness. It will either be my bedroom or livingroom and I will figure that out once it gets closer. Once the pool gets set up then that will lock it down a bit more for me.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#15 of 16 Old 06-21-2011, 02:09 PM

We set up 3 different areas for me to birth.  Had the upstairs bed set up, tub in the bathroom and the futon downstairs set up as well.  I wanted every option available because I had no idea where I really wanted to be.  Ended up in the tub.  I did bounce back and forth from the downstairs futon, exercise ball and back to the tub.  My MW and her assistant ended up upstairs on our bed reading.  I think having options is key.... unless you know exactly where you want to be. 

'09   
#16 of 16 Old 06-22-2011, 07:35 AM

I could totally give birth outside here too, well not with this one....December in Ohio....but I totally sunned my nipples in the back yard after my last one :)

Melissa-Mama to Allyson carrot.gif 1-22-07 and Katelyn homebirth.jpg 5-14-09 and Paul 1-2-12 my 10 lb 6oz. homebirthed baby boy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page