Freaked out a little bit last night. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 06-20-2011, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So every time we have had a storm I have had painful braxton hicks contractions.   Midwife knows about this.   As I have gotten farther along they are getting worse.   Last night a storm moved in and before the lightning was loud enough to wake me up the contractions and cramping did.   (Heck it has gotten to the point a good heavy rain makes me cramp and contract.)  

So I knew it wasn't labor when I woke up.   So then the storm intensifies and as it does so do the contractions.  I was thinking, I really hope this storm doesn't induce labor.  I was in so much pain I didn't even want to touch my poor 4 year old daughter that came down because she was scared of the thunder.   Well then it happened.   Lighting hit so close to my house that our house shook!  The power goes out and the contractions get even MORE intense!  

I thought OHH NO I am NOT having this baby at home with NO POWER!  Then I am thinking and I am freaked out so much I can't remember the directions on how to call my midwife.  I have read them over and over and over and know them normally but last night my mind went blank.   

Guess it shows I am not as mentally prepared for this baby as I thought I was.  So I am going to reprint the directions (I have them on the fridge and forgot that last night) and have a set next to my bed in case I wake up in labor.  

Anyone else freak out this close to a homebirth?  Or am I strange. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 06-21-2011, 05:29 AM

I think there will be a difference in how "together" you are when anxious from a storm and how you'll cope when it's real labor. Hopefully it won't be storming when you do actually go into labor! How awful for your BH to get so bad :( Putting the midwife directions in various spots is a good idea. I understand freaking out during a storm (I get anxious and have a terrible urge to clear out the pantry and put our emergency mattresses in it- we're in SC and have been having a run of bad storms lately and not far from where we live a torndo floated through a couple of days ago) Also one of my dogs freaks out during thunder, and it keeps me busy keeping her calm, which helps. My overall point in my rambling is I feel you'll be able to handle what you need to do when you're in labor, as it will not be the same as during a storm when you are already stressed and panicky.

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#3 of 12 Old 06-21-2011, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah here in Indiana we have had more than our fair share of storms this year.  We had a tornado touch down about 2 blocks from my in-laws this spring.  That freaked me out.   I am not as worried about my family, we have a basement.  It just I plan to birth in the basement and while my basement is awesome with lots of light, not when there is no power.  LOL!  I could feel all my plans and arrangements slipping away.

I did print out the call instructions, for my bedroom.   I had my room mate and my daughter read them as well.   In case my brain blanks out again.  

I did get a nice trial run last night.  I had really bad and confusing prodrmal labor.  It was bad enough I called the midwife to tell her I think it is false labor because it doesn't feel strong enough but it is not changing with change in position so I am not 100% sure it is false.  But that gave me a chance to practice everything I need to do. I did fine on the trial run.  ;)

#4 of 12 Old 06-22-2011, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Maybe it's the low pressure system that triggers the contractions. I know that a full moon can send a term mother into labor. Your body seems to be in tune to what is happening in the world outside, just like most animals and I don't find this unusual at all as much as it fascinates me. I wouldn't worry much about it as long as you have a plan for if the power goes out when you are in fact in labor during a bad storm. How far along are you now? About 37 weeks?

#5 of 12 Old 06-22-2011, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah the only thing I can think of with the storms is the low pressure.  I have never had this with storms any other time but this little guy sure seems to react to the change in pressure.  Heck even a good rain causes me contractions now.   I have a back up plan now in place but I am not thrilled with it.  The reason I picked my basement is because I have 5 other kids and I can do down there and be in a nice peaceful zone.  We have lots of flash lights and such so we can "try" to get enough light down there.  

In the day it is not so bad but at night forget it.   Thankfully we don't lose power here that often.  My old house if there was a power outage in town we had no power. 

BTW another storm hitting and my baby is moving and my uterus is contracting.  I am 37 weeks tomorrow.  So ALMOST there!

#6 of 12 Old 06-22-2011, 06:55 PM

Well, you made it this long, so I'm sure you can make it another week. At least you're term now. :)

#7 of 12 Old 06-22-2011, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

So I survived another storm!  YAY this was another storm that I really didn't need to go into labor.  There are so many flooded streets there is even issues on the interstates.   There are down power lines from the tornados etc.   So I don't want my midwife out in this, or my fiancee.  

Churchill Downs and the University of Louisville were both hit by a tornado.  That is hard to fathom.  

I want to make it one more day.   After that I am content.  As far as I am concerned he can come anytime from tomorrow to the July 28th. 

I told the midwife last week I was tired of heart burn so bad I couldn't sleep and the back aches.  However I will take every day of suffering he wants to give me.  That I want him to be as big and as healthy as he can be.   I also tease I am done being pregnant but the truth is he is the one that counts when it comes to being done NOT me.   Funny thing is he turned and now I am not suffering any more.   I am comfortable.  I can eat without heartburn.   My back no longer hurts.   I am glad to no longer be in pain but I mean it I feel like every day I get is a gift.   It is a joy to me to wake up still pregnant.

What a change from the end of pregnancy with my first 4 when I was ready to be done.  I still said they were the ones that counted but I dreaded each morning after 36 weeks.  

#8 of 12 Old 06-23-2011, 05:03 AM

The weather has been getting crazier this year!

I would also take the suffering a little longer just to let him be done. I wouldn't be happy with anything before 40 weeks, mine come around 40+3. I know they're supposed to be "done" by 37 or 38 but they're not always! I sure complain alot, though LOL My heartburn is atrocious and I have SPD but it is well worth it to grow this baby as much as it needs.

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#9 of 12 Old 06-23-2011, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Exactly Purplerose!!!  My 35 weeker was fine and ready but I feel like we got lucky.  My 38 weeker nephew (who was induced because a quack Dr said that was the only way he would allow my SIL to have a VBAC was to have him no later than 38 weeks) was not quite ready. 

So I want as many days as I can get so I can feel more confident this little guy is ready!   My first was born at 40 weeks 3 days.   At first I thought that was horrible (he was the first baby in the family born after 37 weeks!!!) now I would love to see 40 weeks pregnant again.  ESP since his birth was so much easier than my 35 and 37 week babies.

#10 of 12 Old 06-24-2011, 05:45 AM

I was wondering the other day what would happen if the power went out before/during labor, since I'm planning a homebirth.  Would we just use flashlights and candles? Might get awfully hot...

Hmmm.... guess I should ask my midwife about this!

nak.gif married to DH  guitar.gif since 03/05/2005, new mama to E thumbsuck.gif, homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg 07/02/2011

nocirc.gifselectivevax.giffamilybed1.gifbfinfant.gifcd.gif

#11 of 12 Old 07-16-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwannaBanRN View Post

Maybe it's the low pressure system that triggers the contractions. I know that a full moon can send a term mother into labor. Your body seems to be in tune to what is happening in the world outside, just like most animals and I don't find this unusual at all as much as it fascinates me. I wouldn't worry much about it as long as you have a plan for if the power goes out when you are in fact in labor during a bad storm. How far along are you now? About 37 weeks?

Funny, I went into labor with my first during a terrible rain storm. My water broke at 39 weeks and I always blamed it on the weather that day!

Wife to - Mama to DS 6/08 and DS 9/11
#12 of 12 Old 07-18-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieNova View Post

Funny, I went into labor with my first during a terrible rain storm. My water broke at 39 weeks and I always blamed it on the weather that day!

I know that the low pressure systems effects people's bodies, because I can feel it in my joints. Congrats on your little one. :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page