How far is too far from midwife - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-03-2011, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know that every birthing situation is unique, just looking to see what other folks think about using a homebirth midwife two hours away from us. There are a few that are closer but are more expensive by $1000 or more and we simply cannot afford it.  This midwife is very graceously willing to work with our limited financial situation as well as our off the grid home. The hospital is about 15 minutes away from us- this is where we birthed our first child and I break out into hives just thinking about birthing another child there, but if we have to transfer we won't have far to go. She has no problem with the distance between us - she is along the coast and we are in the mountains so she said the chance of scenery would be nice orngtongue.gif   She delivered another local couples baby a few years ago with no trouble. My labor for our first child was not quick- it was about 14 hours so if the same goes for this one, I'll have plenty of time.

I'm still feeling a bit nervous and am wondering what others think- 

Dirt worshiping, creatress Mama to Rowan and Alden - home birth loving, no circ, no vax, extended breast feeding, cloth diapering, baby wearing, cosleeping

#2 of 4 Old 07-03-2011, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

One of the biggest hassles with a midwife who is far away is simply getting to all your prenatals. I live and work in a rural area of the state and have attended women who were about 2 hours from me. I just keep that in mind when they call with signs of labor. And it is good to have a back-up plan in place for what you will do if labor moves more rapidly than your midwife can make it to you. Good luck!!

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#3 of 4 Old 07-04-2011, 02:11 PM

We're seeing a midwife who is 2 hours from us as well. She lives right outside my hometown so it's not a big deal to us that she's so far away. The appointments will last an hour or so and then we can hang out in town, maybe visit my dad or see friends. Plus, DH goes there once a month for sales meetings for his job, so we might try to schedule appointments around those times so we're in town for a weekend instead of just one day. She didn't seem to have any issues with the distance and said she's attended births farther away. My only concern at this point is the weather. We'll also have a doula for the birth and she's birthed 4 of her 6 kids  at home unassisted so if the midwife can't make it, we'll have a doula there who has experience with UC, plus we're 5 minutes from the hospital if we decide we need assistance and the midwife can't get there.

Wife to DH stillheart.gif 08/09 and SAHM to DD 09/08 and DS 11/11

Surprise! Expecting #3 Nov. 2013!
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36 yikes2.gif **40

#4 of 4 Old 07-05-2011, 09:58 AM

My midwife is about 1 hour and 45 min away- depending on traffic.  I had to weigh the pros and cons.  She is the closest and the only other option is UC or hospital.  For me...I am nervous of having to call EMS b/c I know what will happen.  I would rather go UC than do that.  :)  My first labor was 4 hours- 2 hours active labor and 2 hours of pushing.  So, I am slightly nervous, but still confident in my choice.  I figured that depending on how my labor starts, we will talk to the midwife as soon as possible.  This is different than I advice others.  I usually say, wait as long as possible to call or go to the birth place.  :)  But for those of us in this situation, we have to think about it a bit differently. 

Good luck to you!!  I have a friend who lives about 10 min from her midwife, and her MW missed the birth because my friend didn't think she was as far along in labor as she was.  :)  So- it happens even in that situation.

Trying to raise a healthy, happy family in NC. DD: 5/09, and due with #2: 12/11

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page