Does $6000 for home birth CPM and LM in Southern California seem expensive? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-09-2011, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have recently discovered I am pregnant and prefer to have a home birth with a midwife. I was highly recommended a midwife (RN, CPM, LM) who supports through pregnancy every 4 weeks, every 2 weeks from week 27-birth, at home costs and 2 post birth visits.  Does this seem reasonable for Los Angeles?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 07-11-2011, 12:00 PM

I'd call around to a few other midwives to see what they charge, but I would think that could be normal. Everything's more expensive in LA right? :) Are the appointments done in your home or do you have to travel to her office? I live in San Luis Obispo county (a few hours North) and the going rate is like $4300, and all of the appointments are done at the office, then the birth and postpartum apt at the clients house. Then again, there are only 3 midwives that will do home births so not much competition. Try posting in the Finding Your Tribe section and see what other ppl think!

#3 of 13 Old 07-11-2011, 12:02 PM

sounds pretty typical.  the least expensive i've found in these parts is $4500.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#4 of 13 Old 07-11-2011, 12:19 PM

Yep, sounds right.  I have given up on ever having a home birth in southern CA for this reason.  Nobody seems willing to work out payment plans or anything either. :(

Somebody to maybe try: http://www.safemidwiferybirth.com - She is the best midwife I found with the most flexible payment options/lowest prices.  Plus you get a free doula (midwife in training) when you use her services.  Her accent is very difficult to understand though (at least it was for me!)

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#5 of 13 Old 07-11-2011, 08:07 PM

Fwiw, $6,000 is what I'm paying in San Francisco.
#6 of 13 Old 07-19-2011, 03:58 PM

Am I understanding that the $6000 is for a CPM AND an LM (2 midwives) or the CPM and LM are the same person?  If it's for TWO midwives, I'd say it's a bargain.  I'm paying $4700 for a home birth in Monterey so $6000 for one midwife sounds steep to me, but I don't know anything about the home birth world in LA.

Anna (29) & DH (30) partners.gif 6.2006 :: love.gif 2.2008 :: babygirl.gif 1.2012    I'm a proud hbac.gif mama!

#7 of 13 Old 07-24-2011, 07:49 PM

That's pretty pricey, even for LA. I have the name of someone if you're interested. Not sure what she charges, but I doubt it is 6k. I paid 3500 for my hb in the inland empire 2 years ago.

#8 of 13 Old 07-26-2011, 03:44 PM

I'm paying $4,500 in San Fran Bay Area.

#9 of 13 Old 08-02-2011, 04:11 PM

I'll be delivering in November and live in Eastern SGV.  Our mw (who is an RN but also works with a CNM and LM) costs $4500.  Thankfully, my insurance will cover part of it.

#10 of 13 Old 08-08-2011, 02:53 PM

Check out Birth Revolution Midwifery...$6000 sounds a bit much to me

Lactivist-athiest-feminist wife to DH hola.gif , mommy-in-training to beautiful DS Kai, 9/2011 joy.gif

namaste.gif,intactivist.gif,familybed1.gif, saynovax.gif

#11 of 13 Old 09-05-2011, 10:04 PM

I'm in LA and mine was $4400 last year - all prenatals, birth, postnatal visit with pap.  $6000 seems pricey to me...

#12 of 13 Old 09-08-2011, 10:02 AM

Interesting, she's a RN and a CPM/LM, but NOT a CNM? I think I would try to look at insurance. If you have insurance, they might be more likely to pay for a RN than a non-nurse midwife, or if they pay for both they might be more likely to pay more for a nurse.

I'm in upstate NY and we pay $7500 here for HB CNMs (CPMs and LMs are illegal, though I think you can get one for cheaper, just might not get insurance to cover it). If you don't have insurance (or insurance refuses to pay), though, they are sometimes willing to negotiate significantly, so you could try that if you decide that you really like her. I realize it's been a month, so you may have already decided what to so.

L'lee reading.gif ~ C geek.gif ~ E broc1.gif May, 2006 ~ Rjoy.gif12/29/2011nocirc.gif goorganic.jpg ecbaby2.gif homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#13 of 13 Old 09-08-2011, 12:05 PM

My midwife is charging us $4700 because we're paying cash, but for everyone else it's $5,000.  

Loving wife to a wonderful and Godly man, hug.gif  and SAHM to two beautiful boys, DS1, natural hospital birth (2/2010) and DS2, beautiful homebirth (10/2011) cd.gifnursex2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page