Birth Space inspiration - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-11-2011, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I *think* my birth space imight be our downstairs guest room. I was assuming it'd be hot here since I'm due the end of the month and the downstairs bedroom stays cool since its in the basement. It's den-like and the only place I can visualize birthing on the bed, if that's what I end up wanting to do. But, it's not really decorated and doesn't feel super home-y. Does anyone have any ideas how I can make it more home-y in a hurry?
I'm actually hoping to deliver in the tub outside or just outside on a blanket if the weather permits (it's still stinking 60's and raining here in WA. Totally abnormal! it's usually mid 70's and wonderful) but I need a back up plan. For out there I potted up a bunch of plants and will just arrange them near by.

Jenica- Wife to R & mama to C 8/27/09, my little blonde bombshell and D 7/23/11, whom we love so much we gave him an extra chromosome      cd.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIF

#2 of 7 Old 07-11-2011, 07:56 PM

An easy quick fix is to bring in some green plants and/or flowers (especially since you want to birth outdoors as your first choice).  I brought into my rooom (and birth space) a large peace lily that happened to be blooming (which it rarely does). I put it on top of a dresser so that it was more visable and a focal point if needed.   I had a few other small plants in the room. Of course candles are nice and easy to add. 

I also bought some nice (but inexpensive) large baskets from a discount store made of natural materials - wicker, reed, etc.  I put my birth kit supplies in one, baby blankets and clothes in another, towels and wash clothes in another, etc.  It was nice to have everything out of cardboard and plastic bins and gave the room a cozier feeling.

Catholic wife to S and mama to my two loveys V dd1 10/04 and G dd2 11/10 - #3 due in August 2013.  Here we go again.  homebirth.jpgwinner.jpg selectivevax.gifcd.gif

#3 of 7 Old 07-12-2011, 09:39 AM

my birth space is quite sparse and not really decorated.  However it is a room I feel comfortable in.  I did put up birth mantras on the wall that I can recite to myself as the need arises.  I am going down there when I am stressed and reciting some of them now as I wait on my little man.  

#4 of 7 Old 07-12-2011, 10:06 AM

Location: Basking In the Chaos of 4 Small Children Who Call Me Mom

Here's Pics of My 'Birth Room'. As you can see Rainbow is my favorite color.

IMG_5726.JPG

IMG_5728.JPG

IMG_6095.JPG

IMG_6101.JPG

IMG_6165.JPG

IMG_6166.JPG

IMG_6172.JPG

IMG_6173.JPG

IMG_6174.JPG

IMG_6175.JPG

IMG_6177.JPGIMG_6178.JPGIMG_6179.JPG

IMG_6183.JPG

Brittanyfly-by-nursing2.gif Wife to Cedricblowkiss.gif (heartbeat.gif4-9-05heartbeat.gif) Mommy to: Gideon Edmundsuperhero.gifG.E.M.(2-1-07)stillheart.gif

Miscarried Isabelle Aurora2ndtri.gif I.A.M. (12-12-08) Lorelei Ariahwool.gifL.A.M.(1-14-10)stillheart.gif  Youtube.com/user/murillomania

Tabitha Ivy Esperanza babyf.gifT.I.E.M.(7-17-11) My First h20homebirth.gif  stillheart.gifPhineas Alexander Lyric babyboy.gifP.A.L.M.(3-30-13) rainbow1284.gifuc.jpg

#5 of 7 Old 07-12-2011, 10:10 AM

Location: Basking In the Chaos of 4 Small Children Who Call Me Mom

Twinkle Lights, Candles, Baby Clothes I tie Dyed, the Colorful Pom Poms and Picture I made...All personalize the room for me. Also I have found spending a lot of time in there has made it feel like home. I hang out in my pool!thumb.gifwaterbirth.jpg

Brittanyfly-by-nursing2.gif Wife to Cedricblowkiss.gif (heartbeat.gif4-9-05heartbeat.gif) Mommy to: Gideon Edmundsuperhero.gifG.E.M.(2-1-07)stillheart.gif

Miscarried Isabelle Aurora2ndtri.gif I.A.M. (12-12-08) Lorelei Ariahwool.gifL.A.M.(1-14-10)stillheart.gif  Youtube.com/user/murillomania

Tabitha Ivy Esperanza babyf.gifT.I.E.M.(7-17-11) My First h20homebirth.gif  stillheart.gifPhineas Alexander Lyric babyboy.gifP.A.L.M.(3-30-13) rainbow1284.gifuc.jpg

#6 of 7 Old 07-12-2011, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 in 2005 View Post

my birth space is quite sparse and not really decorated.  However it is a room I feel comfortable in.  I did put up birth mantras on the wall that I can recite to myself as the need arises.  I am going down there when I am stressed and reciting some of them now as I wait on my little man.  

How did you put the mantras up? Just written on paper and stuck on the wall?? Can I ask what they are? Or where can I find some good mantras?

awesome pics NuzzleNudge!! thanks!!! Gotta go dig out the Christmas lights right now! They would make it a nice glow since it's really dark down there. I'm also going to haul some indoor plants down and maybe find some flowering plants too. I'm not creative at all but would LOVE something like the picture you made!!! We set up the tub today, it's in a different room. the basement actually. If it's nice enough I'll move it outside.

Jenica- Wife to R & mama to C 8/27/09, my little blonde bombshell and D 7/23/11, whom we love so much we gave him an extra chromosome      cd.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIF

#7 of 7 Old 07-12-2011, 10:00 PM

Yeah I just took colored Markers to have variety and then put up different sayings that I had on cardstock.  From there I taped them to the wall.    I also had a labor prayer that came with my birth kit that I put up.   My older 2 daughters wrote letters to me about how they knew I was in good hands with the midwife and that they loved me and the baby and I taped them up as well. 

As far as the birth mantras my midwife gave me a handbook that had 3 pages of them and I picked the ones that applied the best to me.  I am sure you could find some on google.   I put up things like "Relax, calm open."   "I trust my body to give birth to this body as I have trusted my body to grow this baby."  "I love giving birth to my babies."   I will try to copy and paste in a new thread quite a few of these because they are awesome.   It was encouraging just to read through them to find the ones that applied the best to me. 

I LOVE the pictures that were posted.  Now I wish I could decorate my space like that but no money and not sure I have time left but I am tempted to try.  That is AWESOME.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page