What to wear for waterbirth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 07-16-2011, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm undecided on what to wear for my waterbirth.  Wearing nothing isn't really my style, I feel like I need *something*, but I'm not sure what.  Part of me says a black night nursing bra only, but then I worry about not covering my bottom half during labor.  May seem silly to some, but I am somewhat of a modest person in that regard.  So I thought about maybe wearing a longer tshirt, perhaps even underwear until I get close to pushing, but I thought maybe all the wet clothes clinging to me would be bothersome.

What did you wear, or what did you plan to wear?

#2 of 29 Old 07-16-2011, 09:41 PM
jaz

With my first and second births I labored in the tub with nothing on. I had "lost my sense of social self" and it was most comfortable at the time. However, nearly all the pictures my DH and doula took at the births have me pretty much nekkid and I wasn't as comfortable after the birth sharing them, especially with extended family members.

This will be my last birth and we are planning a home waterbirth with a professional photographer to document. I plan to just wear a sports bra and figure that anything below the waterline will be sufficiently blurry as it was for my last two labors. I could not imagine feeling comfortable with underwear on in the water, especially to then have to think about removing them while starting to push.
#3 of 29 Old 07-16-2011, 10:25 PM

With my first, I brought a sleep bra with me, but then forgot about it and just got in the tub.  With my second I asked my mom to go get a sports bra out of my room, but by the time she got back with it, I was in the tub and never bothered to put it on.  I have no pictures of my first birth, and with my second my mom was very tasteful and only took pictures with the baby in front of my chest, so I don't mind sharing them.

I never felt exposed on the bottom half, being in the water made me feel more covered, and honestly I really didn't care, even though I expected I would.

I love Edward and we love our Libby (8/07) waterbirth.jpg and 'Nana' (05/09 )h20homebirth.gif and Eowyn (11/11) waterbirth.jpg  We are having a blast bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif and homeschool.gif.

#4 of 29 Old 07-17-2011, 09:30 AM

Lisa, I am like you and don't feel I could wear nothing.  I am not pg yet, but hoping to be in the next month or two, and I told my dh that I plan on using one of his t-shirts. He is in the Air Force and his PT shirts are soooo comfy! If we decide on a water birth I plan on just having a nursing bra because I don't like the idea of wet clingy clothes.

#5 of 29 Old 07-17-2011, 12:51 PM

It's hard to predict how you'll feel once you're in labor--many mamas (incl me!) report losing any sense of modesty or embarrassment once real labor kicks in. I got super hot and irritated by my clothes and threw them all off during transition with #1, and spent the rest of the time (hospital birth) totally naked :)  #2 was a home waterbirth, and I took off my clothes to get into the tub, which felt totally right. As PP's have said, though, my only (mild) regret is that all of the photos and video of dd's birth feature my naked breasts, which limits how widely I can share them; next time, I might wear a bikini top or sports bra or something, just for the photos' sake. FTR, you can't see anything at all below the water/waist, and I'm not sure how one would birth in pants or even a skirt, particularly if you're in the water.

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

#6 of 29 Old 07-17-2011, 01:49 PM

What about a swim skirt? That seems to be a good idea.. I mean, that way you have the freedom down there to birth the baby, but the clothing to be modest.

creative crunchy christian wife to J stillheart.gif, Mama to three boys and one baby on the way!  chicken3.gif  doula in training love.gif

#7 of 29 Old 07-17-2011, 01:55 PM

I wore an oversized t-shirt with my first son, it didn't constrict me at all. With my second  son, the plan had been to wear a vest/tank top type thing, but I never got into it and just laboured naked.

It really depends on how you feel when in labour

Mama to Luka - 22 February 2005, Tiisetso - 18 September 2010 & 3 angel bubbles
#8 of 29 Old 07-17-2011, 02:08 PM

I wore a bikini top with a halter-neck. It was great to be covered, but didn't feel weird if it got wet like I imagine anything cotton would. Plus once baby was born it was easy to untie from around my neck for nursing.

As for the bottom half I didn't wear anything but if I were concerned about it I'd see about getting a skirt (bought or made) out of swimsuit or other quick-drying material. Sort of like those two-piece swimsuit skirt bottoms but without the underwear part? I would absolutely stay away from a cotton t-shirt, the clingy shirt would drive me nuts for one thing but if you're wet and end up out of the water you'll actually get cold faster. (I know this from the one time I wore a t-shirt over my swimsuit at the pool.) HTH

- C reading.gif + Tsuperhero.gif = DS 08/08 bouncy.gif  DD 02/12 angel.gif and D? praying.gif sometime around March 16/2014 

#9 of 29 Old 07-17-2011, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Bikini buttom?

#10 of 29 Old 07-17-2011, 03:41 PM

Popular options I've seen:
Nuffin
Bikini Top
Sports Bra
Those belly bands used as a tube top - seemed quite comfy!!
T-shirts
Pajama gown
Towel draped over the boobies to keep them warm - like hand towel size works great!
Binsi skirt
Pareo

The biggest thing is to have multiple items - most women get in and out of the tub, so the first sports bra gets wet and stripped off and then you want a dry one to put on. It doesn't take much to have 3-4 bras around in case you like them on.
Paigekitten likes this.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#11 of 29 Old 07-17-2011, 05:42 PM

I wore a halter style bikini top and was quite comfortable. I was fine with nothing on the bottom because between the giant belly and the water, there wasn't much to see. I love the labor photos that we took, and am glad I was wearing something.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#12 of 29 Old 07-17-2011, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

You should wear whatever makes you the most comfortable. I have seen a wide variety of options, but the most important is that YOU are comfortable. I have done births where the mom stays completely clothed until she is pushing and that is just fine.

I am planning on wearing a tankini top. I am just most comfortable like that. The water gives a sense of privacy, so I don't feel like I will need a set of bottoms on once I am in heavy duty labor.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#13 of 29 Old 07-17-2011, 09:14 PM

Yeah. I've done one birth that was totally G rated. She wore a shirt and skirt and birthed on her knees in the tub. We had agreed that she would move if I needed to see, but we did everything by touch. She didn't even expose her belly, as the long shirt covered enough that I could get the doppler under it, no problem. You could have aired that birth on prime time with no editing. Ta-da!
Most women choose something less restricting that a full outfit. But it all works. If you can't be queen for a day on the day you have a baby, when can you be? joy.gif

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#14 of 29 Old 07-17-2011, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I had one homes water birth wearing nothing and like another poster said, in all the pics there were my huge, flopping breasts everywhere! Last time I wore a black sport type bra. I wasn't in the water that long before he was born, maybe 1-2 hours, I only got out once but the wet cotton was annoying. This time I'm thinking a swimsuit top maybe. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#15 of 29 Old 07-18-2011, 01:17 PM

I wore a black tankini top (in the largest size they sold) I had planned to wear the matching coverup skirt, but by the time I was in active labor I did not care about the skirt or a bare backside at all. All I cared about was getting that baby born.  The one thing I did like about the top though was that my breasts were supported which is more comfortable for me.

#16 of 29 Old 07-18-2011, 01:56 PM

You can wear a nursing camisole or sports bra and shorts. That's what I plan to wear. When I'm ready to push, I'll just pull off the shorts. And a note about being modest about what to wear while laboring, alot of women lose inhibition while in labor, especially during transition and just don't care. With my first, I was extremely anxious about who saw my "stuff" and then when I was pushing, I didn't give a damn. lol

#17 of 29 Old 09-16-2011, 07:07 AM

I am a modest girl, too. I had an outfit all planned out for my waterbirth. I had a couple of sports bras, and a skirt and comfy pajama type capris for when I wasn't in the pool. I ended up being completely naked. I wish I would have had the sense of mind to put one of the bras on, though, cause I have a lot of pictures I can't show anyone! But for me, it was just that I had to have my full concentration on getting through each contraction, and resting between. Clothes were the last thing on my mind! I am hoping for this birth to have a bra or bathing suit top at least so we can have pics to share:)

Katienak.gif-Christian wife to Nickjog.gif - Mom to Ellieenergy.gif(5/10) and Zekebabyboy.gif (4/12)
  h20homebirth.gif- cd.giffemalesling.GIF - saynovax.gif-nocirc.gif-wash.gif

#18 of 29 Old 09-16-2011, 08:25 AM

I'm usually modest but once in labor I don't care. I wore a tank top for a while until we got close to birth when the midwives suggested to take it off as it was wet and would prevent skin-to-skin contact with baby and cool baby down. I ended up moving on the bed on all 4s though when I gave birth ahem butt-naked ;). And nobody cared.

#19 of 29 Old 09-17-2011, 12:40 PM

I totally understand about not wanting to be naked. I'm not a person who ever feels comfortable naked in front of others. People told me I wouldn't care when I was in labour and I remember rolling my eyes at them. However, when I was in labour, I didn't care. I sat on the birth ball in the shower, naked, all freaking day and didn't care who came in. I think I might have even used the washroom in front of the nurse without thinking about it.

This time around, I imagine I'll just be naked or in a bikini top/bra. I have seen a water birth though where a woman wore a short sundress-type top, but it did look cold and clammy and wet.

#20 of 29 Old 09-17-2011, 01:18 PM

I had a bikini top that I bought just for my waterbirth.  I was laboring in a tshirt and shorts, and when I used the bathroom to pee, I took off my shorts and underwear and didn't bother putting them back on.  I went to climb into the water and asked someone to get my bikini top (I'd put it in with my supplies right next to the pool) and just switched.  I only have a few pictures but I'm happy I was wearing the bathing suit, I could share them with everyone!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#21 of 29 Old 09-20-2011, 07:40 AM

I have large breasts (currently I am busting out of my 34G at 35w pregnant, sigh) and being totally naked is uncomfortable to me for that reason. In my past 2 births I did not care AT ALL about being naked otherwise, and I am not normally an exhibitionist (though not super modest either). I just kept on my regular bra and had a nursing bra handy for afterwards. I was in and out of water and don't recall really caring about being wet or anything. Good point about bikini top though- I bought a bra-size bikini for the summer with excellent support so I think I'll put that in the waterbirth kit :)

Nice to have some extra hair clips/ties around if you have long hair, and remind your partner/helper to keep after your glasses if you wear those. With my first I lost track of my glasses in the end of labor and then I was like "I can't see!!" after baby was born. Not cool!

You might want to check on the possibility of warming up the room/home where you will be in case its cool weather- the newborn will like to be warm and that way you won't be chilly from being wet and naked afterwards.

dissertating mom to three

#22 of 29 Old 09-23-2011, 05:50 PM

I am a pretty modest person and I had no desire to be naked in labour, but being in the pool covered with water seemed different to me.  I ended up in the pool with just a black sports bra on and nothing else.  And you really do feel "covered" by the water, and whatever people can see under there is blurry anyway.  I would not want a swim skirt because it would probably just float around instead of actually covering you.  And a bikini or swim suit bottom is not going to cover much anyway.  I have a pic of myself in the pool where you can see that I'm wearing this black sports bra, and then you see giant belly and legs under the water and that's it.  No one looking at that pic would know whether I'm actually wearing a bikini bottom or nothing at all.  The belly kind of hides it.  

I plan to wear the same sports bra this time, although I really like the idea someone mentioned of the belly band as tube top!  I'm going to try it in the water and see if I like that.  Full coverage for photos, but instant access for BFing and skin-to-skin when you want it!

Semi-crunchy mama to DD (7/06) and DS (8/08), and thrilled to be 
belly.gif due around mid-December 2011, and planning another h20homebirth.gif
#23 of 29 Old 09-24-2011, 04:27 PM

I have a birth skirt and a sports bra. For a waterbirth, if I have one, I'd just wear the sports bra. I think I was pretty much naked for my last delivery, it was really hot in that room! :)

I'm a size double huge, lol. Something around a 38G or H. I found a decent, maybe a tad small, nursing bra at Target. I don't like to wear pants anyway so I won't have a problem with a lack of bottms if I do go bottomless.

#24 of 29 Old 09-27-2011, 12:07 PM

I am modest too but clothes started bothering me when active labor kicked in.  They all came off except for my top.  

Don't worry.  You won't be concerned about how you look once you start focusing on getting the baby out.  

Loving wife to a wonderful and Godly man, hug.gif  and SAHM to two beautiful boys, DS1, natural hospital birth (2/2010) and DS2, beautiful homebirth (10/2011) cd.gifnursex2.gif

#25 of 29 Old 09-29-2011, 02:44 PM

I don't want this to sound Spammy, but I just got a birth skirt from Kobieta and it's super comfy and soft. I wouldn't wear it in the water, I think, but I'll definitely wear it before. 

#26 of 29 Old 10-04-2011, 07:51 PM

I wore a maternity bathing suit top... nothing on the bottom.  I plan on doing the same thing this time.  The material didn't bother me at all, and I felt much better not having my saggy boobies in pictures..lol!

Xzavier - 9 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif    Julien - 5  modifiedartist.gif   Jayce - 3  moon.gif    Jaxon - 18mos  jog.gif

Hoping for a babygirl.gif in November!

#27 of 29 Old 10-08-2011, 09:41 AM

( I can't believe I'm posting in a homebrth thread!! Im gonna' have a homebirth and I'm SOOO excited!!!)

I plan on wearing a sleep bra from Madela. It's like a sports bra in support but the entire breast area opens through nursing bra clasps to expose both breasts. It was my favorite postpartum bra with DS. The photos I've seen really dont' show anything below the waist, either because mama's belly is is the way or because of the way water reflects. So, nothing on the bottom.

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

#28 of 29 Old 10-08-2011, 02:24 PM

With my first 4 births I wore a comfy sports bra (the same one)!  Nothing on bottom while in the water.  This time, I am searching for a short skirt.  I am having a photographer here this time, and some friends so I want to be a little more modest.  Honestly though, I don't remember even caring one bit what I was wearing while birthing.  Too busy focusing on the task at hand! 

#29 of 29 Old 10-09-2011, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I wear a maternity swim top -- I have two, and I tend to where the one that feels most comfortable at the time.  One is a tankini top, and the other is as long as a tankini top, but not form-fitting (flares out loosely a little like a regular shirt). 

The one I wore during my last birth was a lot like:  This.

It was very comfortable, and easy to remove once the babe was born.

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page