Trouble Getting Birth Certificate X-Posted - Mothering Forums

Thread Tools
#1 of 7 Old 09-06-2011, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
abc123xyz's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are planning our third homebirth, hopefully second successful. Our last birth was wonderful. I called the health dept. prior to the birth to find out what I needed to do to obtain a birth certificate. I spoke to the head of the health dept who told me to call once the baby came and make an appt and DH and I could come in and fill out the form. We did, she kept the appt on time and the whole thing was very pleasant. She was excited about our birth!

Flash Forward to present day: We are moving to a new county, I called the health dept asking specific for the person who does birth certificates. I spoke with her and she informed me that this year the state changed their process and now it's all electronic. This sounds easier to me but she made it sound like a fiasco. I need to get the necessary forms in advance, fill them out at the birth, call her for an appt. and it's likely that a CPS social worker will be involved in the interview to assess the danger we may have caused to our baby. UMMMM???? NO!!!!


So, now I am freaked out, my DH is OVERLY freaked out. We don't even want to get him a birth certificate!!! I imagine it was her way of using scare tactic but I don't know. We had a CPS issue with our first birth for attempting a homebirth and refusing vaccines in the hospital. We were declared "fit" parents and it wasn't an issue but I know we have a file in the county for it. I just don't want to go through this again. I want to be stubborn and evasive and just tell them I am not complying BUT I know families who's new baby has been taken from them for up to 6months for investigative purposes. I could not handle that. I want to tell them we'd be happy to meet them in our home with advanced notice and then not allow them in once they come without a warrant. I don't know what to do. I know our rights but it seems futile to risk losing our baby for a "time" if we are difficult. I would leave the baby behind and DH and I would go but I really don't think I can do that.

Anyone have experience THIS YEAR or know anyone who has in NC??? I don't think the county is important because she told me it's a state thing. I just want to know if there is anyone with experience so I can have some peace of mind. When I go in to get the forms once we get settled, I am going to further ask her about the process and see what she has to say then. It may be that she misspoke or implied something that was not absolute. But I'd love to hear if anyone else know anything!



abc123xyz is offline  
Sponsored Links
#2 of 7 Old 09-06-2011, 02:26 PM
CallMeMommy's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: MN, USA
Posts: 4,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Can you call your old county and ask them?  Maybe speak to the woman who was so helpful?  And if your current county is still giving you grief, ask to see those rules and regulations in writing.  See *in writing* where it says CPS has to be involved, or that you have to fill everything out ahead of time, etc.

Single mom to 3 boys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CallMeMommy is offline  
#3 of 7 Old 09-06-2011, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
abc123xyz's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yes, I have thought of that. Actually DH wants me to do that and I am thinking about it. I just don't want to be difficult with this new county because I don't want any more trouble than needed. My good friend said to just go in and act slightly ignorant and act interested in what they have to say and just get it over with. I am not real good at that but if I have to...


I just can't understand why they make it so impossible when all I am doing is registering a tax payer! Seems like it benefits them more than me!

abc123xyz is offline  
#4 of 7 Old 09-18-2011, 06:40 PM
AbbieB's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm in FL.


I called ahead of time for my DS's birth. Fist call was scary. Second call was less scary but the cleark was clueless and had never heard of homebirth before.


I ended up just getting all of the required documents and DH, baby and I just went into the vital statistics ofice with all kinds of info and everything was fine.


I found that being overly meek and polite can get you very far with these kinds of government offices.


Are homebirths legal in your state? Are you using a legal midwife? It's perfectly legal for YOU to birth at home anywhere, so you have not done anything wrong. Do you have a record of prenatal care?


Could you ask your pediatrition if they can help you with this at a well baby/newborn check up?


Since CPS has been involved once, it might ease your mind to get a lawyer and ask some questions, and perhaps be ready to call when you go to get the BC.


I think you may have just gotten a busy body anti home birth freak on the phone. Have your friend go with you and go pick up the documents, scope out the situation in person.

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

AbbieB is offline  
#5 of 7 Old 09-25-2011, 06:55 AM
mammamo's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Marion, Ohio
Posts: 331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Getting my daughters birth cert was fairly seamless (in Ohio) but we have an Amish population on the west side of the county, so they knew what to do to get my birth cert and was just happy to have a newborn in the office to oggle at. I think you should call again or call another county, just to be sure you aren't getting hassled.

Melissa-Mama to Allyson carrot.gif 1-22-07 and Katelyn homebirth.jpg 5-14-09 and Paul 1-2-12 my 10 lb 6oz. homebirthed baby boy.

mammamo is offline  
#6 of 7 Old 09-26-2011, 07:32 AM
emmaegbert's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,881
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

sounds like a lawyer might be in order. In neither state where I've given birth did I have to fill out anything ahead of time.


in California it was fairly easy, I had to appear in person at the department of records with my MW (who is licensed by the state) and they actually had a special room with a label on the door that said, "out of hospital birth interview room"- though only open one day a week. I believe you had 6 months after the birth to get an original birth certificate, after that, you get a "non-standard" one which can be an issue for your child later in life (like, a student of mine was having difficulty getting a travel visa b/c of her non standard BC).


now we're in NY and apparently MWs (also licensed) can do it all electronically and I don't even have to do anything, it comes in the mail.


I know another friend who had an unplanned UC and the paramedic report was sufficient to submit for her daughter's birth certificate. So, also maybe if you are doing UC or using an unlicensed MW you just have to "pretend" it was unplanned?


dissertating mom to three

emmaegbert is offline  
#7 of 7 Old 09-27-2011, 02:21 AM
mwherbs's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 5,492
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would get ahold of the other county , that person you talked to before and find out if the requirements are the same or what all has changed. It may be the county you are in has a current policy of enguaging cps, or just the health department worker's personal bias . If it is her bias, or something with how that county is managing home birth then I would look into giving birth in another county... Even if it were in a tent, friend's house or motel room so you could file with the more approachable birth certificate person, if cps gets called no matter which county, then I would be looking for a doctor to file the certificate, maybe someone in your church or some family friend, in order to avoid the health department completely.
mwherbs is offline  

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Online Users: 15,582

32 members and 15,550 guests
a-sorta-fairytale , babydoulajo , BirthFree , Deborah , emmy526 , esg , Fluffer , hillymum , iryna.prokh , IsaFrench , Janice205 , JElaineB , katelove , kathymuggle , lisak1234 , Lucee , Lydia08 , MDoc , Michele123 , Mirzam , moominmamma , MylittleTiger , NaturallyKait , Nazsmum , pencilspackaging , philomom , RollerCoasterMama , scheelimama , Springshowers , suzanneturner , zebra15
Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.