Moving out of state in the middle of pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-08-2011, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have waited since last November to get DH on board with TTCing. Its not something I wanted to rush until we were both ready. I found him sleeping with all our kids' baby albums on the bed the other night. It was so sweet! Needless to say we are on board now and activly TTCing. So we were *this* close to buying a house (had one picked out and a signed contact and backed out a week after the inspection for a few reasons). I want to move back East to be around family (we live 21hrs away now). If I get pg now or soon I would be roughly 5-7mths pregnant when we move.

Has anyone done this....how did you transfer care? What did you do in the mean time until you moved? Should I just go see a regular OB or a midwife? Insurance would cover a Dr anyhow. DO MWs charge their full amount if they only see you for 1/2 the pregnancy or less (I would totally understand and fully accept it if they did).

And yeah we are still gonna plan to do it this way. We waited long enough and want to TTC now, good timing or not. We want a 6th member to our family <3

Mama to DD(6) DS(4) DD(2.5)LO(due July 2012): and loving wife to my great DH
I praise and thank God for my familychicken3.gif

#2 of 5 Old 09-09-2011, 10:59 PM

With my last, I transferred care fairly easily at 24 weeks. Just call up an OB or midwife office you are interested in about a month prior and they will take down your basic info (phone number, social security number, date of birth, marital status, etc). Then they will mail you a packet to fill out to take to your first appt with them. I never saw a midwife, so I'm not sure about payment, but I'm sure there may be at least one that would only charge for half of the pregnancy if that's around the time you start seeing them. Good luck TTC'ing!

#3 of 5 Old 09-14-2011, 06:03 PM

I JUST did this...so feel free to PM me if you need to chat!

We moved from NY to NH JUST at the end of July and I am now due in October.  I pretty much packed the house, picked the new place, arranged the move and set up our departure to relocate completely while my husband was starting  a new job which had him away from home all week long and only with us on Friday and Saturdays.  It was NOT easy...but we did it!

We moved out here where the only people we DO know are my inlaws and they live 1.5 hours away. 

So far, it's been a dream come true...but we WANTED this really bad and I've been wanting to relocate like this for as long as I can remember. 

Details:

We had my previous Midwife (who caught my DS 4 years ago) give me care until we moved...and I did as much research online as possible for new care etc...before the move.

I am still looking to nail down a pediatrician/family doc that fits our values, but I found a promising one if he checks out.

I grilled locals for info, advice etc...and so far we have befriended a few shop keeps in the area, as well as all of the waitresses at the local pizza/snack joint who just LOVE DS to pieces.  

Just dive in there...do whatever you can BEFORE you get there and then before the baby.  I still have a HUGE list of things to do, aside from unpacking...and we've been here just over a month now. 

In the end, you'll make it work! 

Good luck!

Mother of 2 boys, new little one on the way
#4 of 5 Old 09-16-2011, 10:45 AM

I didn't move, but I did change providers at 7 months pregnant, from OB to midwife. The OB's office gave me a hard time about getting my records, but it was no problem at all getting set up with my midwife.

You may want to check state laws about matrnity care too just so you don't have any surprises.

#5 of 5 Old 09-16-2011, 11:07 AM

I moved from NY to MD at 20-ish weeks. I was seeing an OB in NY, at a not-so-cooperative city clinic. They were a pain the you-know-what about getting my records, though thankfully the OB I transferred to down here was very helpful. I had to get the old OB to fax the records to the new one, confirm the new OB received it, and wait for a nurse there to review my records before they would schedule an appointment. It took me about a month to get set up with the new OB, and I did miss an appointment and ended up not getting my 20-wk anatomy scan until 23.5 weeks. All in all, though, it wasn't too difficult. I would recommend going to your doctor/midwife in person and getting a copy of your records BEFORE you move. I didn't, and trying to get someone to help me over the phone, getting them to fax records, getting them to fax them to the right place... it was a nightmare. 

I wasn't transferring care to or from am midwife (although I'm seeing one now) but I would imagine you could find a midwife who would be willing to work something out fee-wise. I'm sure they'd be willing to do that.

Overall, here's what I'd recommend:

--Get your records before you move

--Try to know who you'll transfer to before you move if possible

--Schedule your last prenatal for as close to the move as possible to prevent a gap in care

--Stay in constant contact with the new doctor/midwife to make sure your records are processed as quickly as possible.

--Keep your medical info and contacts (old and new care providers) somewhere they WON'T get mixed up with other moving stuff. It can be tough to keep track of a whole bunch of paperwork during a move, so give yourself a folder you keep somewhere minimally chaotic.

Mom to Eli babyboy.gif 10/18/11 and loving wife to Derrin. heartbeat.gif 

Proud to be "that" girl--the crazy bedsharing, sling-wearing, breastfeeding mama everyone

thinks is crazy!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page