Did you see this? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 128 Old 09-18-2011, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by by-the-lake View Post

Sorry, your experience is not 'proof'.  Its your experience, and that's fine. but you then say

tsk *eyeroll* Proof that just because it's WIRELESS, doesn't mean you're free from the bed. So, yes, it IS proof of women made to lie on her back, laboring, even with wireless technology. The point is moot if it's used in the fashion that it was used with me.

#122 of 128 Old 09-18-2011, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Quote:

Interesting point. This can be applied to both sides of the fence. What is your suggestion for doing better?

We can't stop searching and learning.  There is always a way to make "anything" better.  Whether it's a hospital birth, a home birth, cancer treatments, autism and anything else we know there isn't a complete answer for.  Never be complacent, never become complacent and learn how to decipher between what is right and what is being pushed on us for others agendas.  Some people may think I sound crazy, but there is so much out there we don't know about.  Regular people just like us find it, all the time.  Also don't put up walls and always listen.  In truths there are lies and in lies there are truths.

As simple as someone stating that cesareans happen more often around the holidays.  Find out if it's true.  Do some digging.  And once you find out report back and give others the information, tell us how you got it.  Prove to us we can find out all this by ourselves without relying on what someone else said, thinks or interpreted. 

#123 of 128 Old 09-18-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwannaBanRN View Post

tsk *eyeroll* Proof that just because it's WIRELESS, doesn't mean you're free from the bed. So, yes, it IS proof of women made to lie on her back, laboring, even with wireless technology. The point is moot if it's used in the fashion that it was used with me.

First off, I applaud your maturity with a tsk and eye roll. Second, you use the word ' many ' but only cite your experience. That was my point.

Wife to DHluxlove.gif DS 98thumb.gif DD 03flower.gif DS 09 babyf.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

She is here!!! Oct 5th!!!joy.gif

#124 of 128 Old 09-18-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

We can't stop searching and learning.  There is always a way to make "anything" better.  Whether it's a hospital birth, a home birth, cancer treatments, autism and anything else we know there isn't a complete answer for.  Never be complacent, never become complacent and learn how to decipher between what is right and what is being pushed on us for others agendas.  Some people may think I sound crazy, but there is so much out there we don't know about.  Regular people just like us find it, all the time.  Also don't put up walls and always listen.  In truths there are lies and in lies there are truths.

As simple as someone stating that cesareans happen more often around the holidays.  Find out if it's true.  Do some digging.  And once you find out report back and give others the information, tell us how you got it.  Prove to us we can find out all this by ourselves without relying on what someone else said, thinks or interpreted. 

I totally agree. Both sides of the debate should be doing this, and learning from each other

Wife to DHluxlove.gif DS 98thumb.gif DD 03flower.gif DS 09 babyf.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

She is here!!! Oct 5th!!!joy.gif

#125 of 128 Old 09-18-2011, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

IwannabanRN, it's not worth it to keep up with this one.  Just ignore this and go on. 

Quote:

First off, I applaud your maturity with a tsk and eye roll. Second, you use the word ' many ' but only cite your experience. That was my point.

#126 of 128 Old 09-18-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

IwannabanRN, it's not worth it to keep up with this one.  Just ignore this and go on. 

I completely agree. It's a bit exhausting trying to show people how something is with some people and all they want to hear is data data data. Anecdotal experience IS part of statistic. I'm just looking forward to being part of the happy homebirther statistic come November. thumb.gif

#127 of 128 Old 09-19-2011, 07:00 AM

do you have any training or done any research outside of the scope of an L&D nurse? Seeing as most organizations support the studies showing intermittent listening to be as safe and as good as continuous, im not sure how it is a bad thing. Midwives will use EFM if indicated in hospital and if at home they feel there is risk they will transfer.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0140673687912669

Quote:
For many obstetricians and midwives continuous electronic fetal heart rate monitoring during labour has replaced the traditional method of intermittent auscultation. Of the eight prospective randomised controlled trials designed to assess its value in obstetric care, four were concerned with mothers defined as being at high-risk, three with normal or low-risk patients, and the eighth with the total population of a maternity hospital over several months. None suggested any major advantage of continuous fetal heart rate monitoring over intermittent surveillance in terms of neonatal mortality, morbidity, cord blood pH values, or the five minute Apgar score. The rates of caesarean section and forceps delivery were higher in the continuously monitored group. For low-risk mothers there is a good case for a return to the traditional method of intermittent auscultation with its lower false-positive rate, lesser incidence of intervention, and opportunity for greater contact between the maternity care staff and the mother.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1471-0528.1994.tb13181.x/full

Quote:

Conclusions Intermittent use of electronic fetal monitoring at regular intervals (with stethoscopic auscultation in between) appears to be as safe as continuous electronic fetal monitoring in low risk labours.

http://www.oocities.org/pacubill/monitorizacion.pdf

Quote:

The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) states that with specific

intervals, intermittent auscultation of the FHR is equivalent to continuous EFM in detecting fetal

compromise.4 ACOG

Quote:

Thank you.. I know this. In fact, I take 4 hour classes every two years to keep current as this is part of my continuing education to do my job. What I am seeing are two issues being confused. You are describing listening for accelerations and decelerations in relation to the contraction pattern. This information can be used very effectively to assess fetal well being. The term 'variability' is being used here,in this thread, and variability is a different assessment. Determining variability to assess fetal well being needs to be graphed, because a longer period of time is needed to collect this data, as it is beat to beat dependent.

When using intermittent monitoring with a fetoscope, you can certainly detect deceleration. If deceleration is detected, the logical next step to gain more information is to get a strip of EFM, because not only will the deceleration be graphed, the beat to beat variability can be determined as a bigger picture of fetal tolerance to labor

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!
#128 of 128 Old 09-19-2011, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)

Quote:
Is 1% of births droves?

Did you click on the link in my post?  I’d say that a 20% increase constitutes “droves.”

Quote:
 Google is research?

No more than a library card catalogue is.  Both are tools for finding research, and SoSurreal09 found some to support the fact that cesareans increase chances for maternal mortality (up to fourfold, but I’ll let you do your own search on that one winky.gif).

When you're ready to provide direct answers to my other questions (tu quoque doesn't cut it), I'll gladly entertain a discussion on that topic. 

Quote:

Anecdotes are not data

If you gather enough of them and identify particular trends, then yes, they are.  Qualitative research often serves as such a launch pad for further quantitative study.  Oh, and here is the rest of the data that you dismissed as "anecdotes."

Interesting that you should say the aforementioned, though.  When my state had its legislative hearing to license midwives, the midwife supporters showed up armed with data.  The doctor-opponents just got up and ad-libbed: "As a physician, I once witnessed.......blah, blah, blah." 

But then, pay me no mind.  That's just an anecdote.  winky.gif

nia82 and peainthepod like this.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page