The Skeptical OB - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-07-2011, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Mambera --

What do you think about the 2011 Chen study which examined over 1,700,000 births in the US and concluded that EFM reduced the number of babies with apgars of less than 4, reduced neonatal seizures and halved early (birth to 6 days of age) neonatal death rates?  It can be found here at http://download.journals.elsevierhealth.com/pdfs/journals/0002-9378/PIIS0002937811004807.pdf.

I support homebirth that meets the qualifications set forth in the AAP's 2013 policy on homebirth.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2011, 10:39 AM

that study compares EFM to no monitoring, of course it is going to show improved outcomes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbuzz View Post

Mambera --

What do you think about the 2011 Chen study which examined over 1,700,000 births in the US and concluded that EFM reduced the number of babies with apgars of less than 4, reduced neonatal seizures and halved early (birth to 6 days of age) neonatal death rates?  It can be found here at http://download.journals.elsevierhealth.com/pdfs/journals/0002-9378/PIIS0002937811004807.pdf.

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!
Old 12-07-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrlamia View Post

that study compares EFM to no monitoring, of course it is going to show improved outcomes.

eyesroll.gif 

Melissa, momma to Hunter 8 , Julianna 7, Harley 23 months,  and breastfeeding, babywearing and bedsharing with my Dylan, born 1/18/2011.

intactivist.gifslingboy.giflactivist.gif

Old 12-07-2011, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

The study authors were kind of flippant about how nonspecific the "no EFM" group was. In their comment, "The possible explanations

for not using EFM include women undergoing repeat cesarean delivery, clinician’s preference for IA, planned home births, precipitous delivery, nonavailability of EFM during busy hours, and not using EFM at the limit of viability". In this study they excluded repeat c/s and births outside of viability, so the no EFM group may contain providers using IA according to published guidelines, IA NOT adhering to guidelines, women who are rushed in emergently with no monitoring whatsoever, and so on.  Also the analysis of effect of cEFM broken down by gestational age does not further split the results after 37 weeks, and GAs of up to 44 weeks (!!) were included.  37 weeks is considered early term, and past 42 is postterm, both of which are associated with worse outcomes. Certainly past 42 weeks is no longer considered "low risk".  

However you feel about cEFM, you've got to admit this study has some major holes in it. It has an impressively large n, but I would be far more interested in a randomized controlled trial, in one large facility, in which low risk women between 38 and 42 weeks were monitored either by IA _according to AWHONN guidelines_ or by cEFM. 

In fact I'm off to look for something like that :)  I love hunting for papers.

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

Old 09-06-2012, 12:04 PM

so what does your post contribute? if you dont know anything?

Old 09-06-2012, 02:24 PM

^are you for real, lady? Do you realize that this (Tragically long, insane) post has been dead for over nine months?

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

Old 09-07-2012, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgdg View Post

You're a real charmer. Welcome to MDC.  

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

Old 09-08-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie8681 View Post

You're a real charmer. Welcome to MDC.  

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

Old 09-14-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgdg View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroodyWoodsgal View Post

^are you for real, lady? Do you realize that this (Tragically long, insane) post has been dead for over nine months?

Haha - I guess a good thread never really dies! Very sad and tragically long thread indeed, yet still relevant and interesting to read. I caught a link here today from a link on The Skeptical OB site. Dare I say that I am an active member of MDC and also frequently read The Skeptical OB? It's unfortunate that there seems to be no middle ground to this debate. I can honestly say that I fall somewhere in the middle - homebirths, with properly trained MWs are best for some, while hospital births are better for others. I am lucky that a MW run birth center just opened in my area - attached to a local hospital, so I am strongly considering that option. Still trying to figure it all out, as I just want whats best for the baby. babyf.gif

Pregnant with my 1st & due ~ Feb 2013  with a baby GIRL! babygirl.gif

***4***8***12***16***20heartbeat.gif**24***28***32***36***40babyf.gif

treehugger.gif  greenthumb.gif   dog2.gif  read.gif   sewmachine.gif   geek.gif   goorganic.jpg   ribbonpink.gif    Rainbow.gif

Old 09-14-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessNP View Post

Haha - I guess a good thread never really dies! Very sad and tragically long thread indeed, yet still relevant and interesting to read. I caught a link here today from a link on The Skeptical OB site. Dare I say that I am an active member of MDC and also frequently read The Skeptical OB? It's unfortunate that there seems to be no middle ground to this debate. I can honestly say that I fall somewhere in the middle - homebirths, with properly trained MWs are best for some, while hospital births are better for others. I am lucky that a MW run birth center just opened in my area - attached to a local hospital, so I am strongly considering that option. Still trying to figure it all out, as I just want whats best for the baby. babyf.gif

To the bolded: No one here would disagree with that. I feel that this issue is too large and complex to fit nicely onto too specific a "middle ground"...but I don't think there is anyone here who would disagree with your statement.

There are a lot of women here who are frequent posters and read a lot of other sites, The Skeptical OB among them. There is nothing wrong with getting information from many sources and, in fact, that is the smartest way to go about finding your own truth on this issue.

I hope you do get that...what's best for baby. I would be interested in hearing more about your feelings on this subject after you experience birth and I hope you remember to come back and tell us how your birthing experienced changed or didn't change your feelings/thoughts about birthing choices!!

Blessings and love to you and CONGRATULATIONS! You are going to LOVE being a mama!

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

Old 09-17-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzaviers_mama View Post

Has anyone seen this blog...?  Someone posted it on another forum that I'm part of.  She said she was appalled by it, and several other women came in to say that they didn't understand what was appalling.  (This other site is very... uh... not MDC, lol).

<snip>/skepticalob.blogspot.com/

You guys do know that when you link to her, her minions come running, right?? orngbiggrin.gif

Proud Mama to Ceili Fey energy.gif(3/6/03),  Elias angel.gif (vbac.gif  4/9/08-3/4/12), Noah blowkiss.gif (vbac.gif  4/21/09 ), Henry diaper.gif (h20homebirth.gif  1/30/12 ), and babyboy.gif Calvin  (hbac.gif 3/7/12).
  novaxnocirc.gif  winner.jpg  cd.gif 

candleflicker2.gifhttp://visitourcrazyhouse.com/

Old 09-18-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmtmsAlwys View Post

You guys do know that when you link to her, her minions come running, right?? orngbiggrin.gif

thumb.gif

NishaG momsling.GIF - Wife to Big K for 20 years - Mama to KJ and KC, and our 1st baby girl, KS, born 1/20/12 familybed1.gif diaper.gif!

User Tag List