I have had two homebirths and a hospital birth so far. This past pregnancy I had some thryoid issues which were controlled by medication. My CNM referred me to an endocrinologist and everything was fine. My understanding is that he didn't even report anything back to the midwife (she complained about this :) )
If we have another, I'm considering using an underground midwife (because we like her, feel comfortable with her, and feel that she is competent and experienced). However, I will probably need the medication again. They said to call to get bloodwork as soon as I get a BFP so I'm assuming I could go some time saying that I haven't decided who I'm seeing yet but I don't know if I would be able to pull that off for a whole pregnancy.
Will an endo see me without the name of an OB/CNM while pregnant or am I going to have to give the name of an OB/CNM?
Oh I'm in the Endocrinologist system already. I'm just worried they would ask who the OB/midwife was and that I technically wouldn't have one and they might refuse to treat (had a family doctor do this during one pregnancy). I've looked into getting the testing done on my own and know that that is a definate possibility but if I need medication (and I'm still on it from the last pregnancy) then I might be stuck without the medication that I need.
I have thyroid issues and I see my GP for regular testing while pregnant.
I think it would be unethical of your endocrinologist to refuse to treat you because you won't share who your other providers are. Pregnant or not, thyroid issues have to be dealt with, it's not optional care.
In your situation I would go to the endo, tell them your pregnant but tell them you have not decided on a provider. You might ask them why they need the info, it could help you decide what to tell them. If it comes up again you could just decline to share and tell them that you prefer to have all thyroid issues handled by them or share the name of your back up practitioner (if you have one.) Or give them you GP's name, even if you are not using them for current care.
I would not give them any identifying info on an underground midwife, for her protection. It's not illegal for you to see one, but it could get her in trouble.
One happy momma to a very spirited little girl , her tough little brother , and a happy little suprise late April 2012 . Wife to an overworked and under paid husband .
Oh. I would NEVER give out the name of an underground midwife. That's why I'm asking what I can do instead to see if using this midwife would be feasible for us at all. I sort of feel like if I'm going to have to see a back up doc, I may as well see the CNM that does homebirths even though there are some things we feel uncomfortable about (like taking A LOT of clients )
My endo does everything by labs and phone, and hasn't even seen me this pregnancy or asked who my care provider was.
Jenrose, Mama to DD1, born 1993, DD2, born 2005, and DS1, Jan. 2012. Babywearing, cosleeping, homebirthing mom with fibromyalgia and hashimotos. DD2 has a rare chromosome disorder.
Jenrose, mine does a lot by labs and phone too. They did verify who my midwife was last time but maybe they won't this time since they didn't even send her the results? I guess we could always go with the one we want and get a back up doctor later if necessary?