Need help deciding about Home Birth!!!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-11-2011, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Everyone!!!  Thanks for reading!!!

So I'm pregnant with my second baby, and really interesting in having a home birth with this one.  I'm not concerned about safety, or possible emergencies or anything like that, my hang up is purely logistical but is really causing me to have a difficult time deciding.  I had my daughter through a midwifery practice that's only 10 minutes form my house, and although you technically give birth int he hospital, the rooms are beautiful, you only have your midwife there and you'd barely notice the difference.  However, you DO have to ride in a car while having contractions (hospital is 30 min away) go through registrations, etc etc.  Although the birth was amazing and fine, the next 24 hrs were enjoyable because none of us could sleep for obvious reasons.  My post-partum period was very difficult due to prolonged bleeding, nursing problems, slipped disk in my back, etc.  And the midwives that I used were amazing, I called them everyday, they knew me so well, I came in often for breast feeding tutorials, etc.

Now, here's the dilemma.  To have a home birth, the midwife that I would go through lives an hour away and that's where you would have to go for your visits.  Also, if I have trouble with nursing again, I can't just throw my then 20 month old and newborn in the car to spend at least 3 hrs there and back getting a tutorial.  SO that's it!!!  What's a bigger priority -the ease of having someone close by for visits and a good solid post partum support, or lacking in that area and going with a more comfortable birth?  Any suggestions would be most appreciated, they want us to decide soon!!!!  thanks!

#2 of 8 Old 10-11-2011, 03:15 PM

A few questions that you can ask both practices to help you make your decision 

For the Midwife care at the Hospital

1. If you birth with them, How do they feel about you checking out early. Even a couple of hours after birth in many places, if you are up to it, you can check yourself out and go home.

2. If you birth at home, could you still come in for breastfeeding help.

For the home birth

1. Does the midwife have any contacts of someone to help you if you have breastfeeding help

2. Is how much do you want the home birth and do you want to drive that distance monthly, and even weekly.

For me - I drove 45min one way for my homebirth, and if and when I have another baby the drive will be even further this time. BUT because my whole home birth experience was amazing it is worth the drive and slight inconvenience to me.  Most of the hospitals around here have free breastfeeding classes and groups that meet. 

#3 of 8 Old 10-11-2011, 04:04 PM

I would choose a homebirth and find a Le Leche League group closer to home.

For me the second biggest reason for choosing homebirth (besides not wanting unnecessary interventions) is comfort.  I know I would be much more comfortable in my own home and no matter how nice the hospital was, I wouldn't feel that same level of comfort there.

Sarah, partner to J and mom to DD1 April 30th, 2002 and DD2 May 5th, 2012. love.gif

#4 of 8 Old 10-11-2011, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

so the midwives out of the hospital said I could check out early, a matter of hrs if I wanted to -which makes my decision even harder.  But no, I couldn't really come in for postpartum support if I'm not a patient of there's.  I guess the drive for the home birth midwives is a huge factor, I know it shouldn't be but it's turning me off. Or perhaps it's just an excuse because the idea of the unknown is always scary.  I guess I'm just worried that I go through the process with the hospital midwives and regret my decision....ok, thanks for your input guys, I'll keep thinking.

#5 of 8 Old 10-12-2011, 02:31 PM

I drive for my prenatal visits anywhere from 40 minutes to an hour.  (I have to go to both their offices so I can get to know both midwives in the practice).  It really hasn't been a big deal at all for me.  I don't work, so I don't have to flex around that time, but, in all actuality, the time I spend driving there and back and the appointment is less than when I waited for HOURS in the OB office b/c on several of my visits the OB had to leave for a birth and we all sat and waited. 

This is my first homebirth, so I can't say that it will be worth it in the end, but, I have a sneaky feeling that it will:)

#6 of 8 Old 10-17-2011, 11:04 AM

There is a 3rd option.  Hire a midwife that comes to you! I & most of the midwives I know do most of their  care in the comfort of their clients homes. If a midwife is so busy, she can't come to you for  care, there is a greater chance she will be so busy she may miss your birth too. 

But if  you have to choose between the options  you mentioned, I'd choose  to birth where I felt the most comfortable, whether that is home or hospital.

Kamiro likes this.
#7 of 8 Old 10-20-2011, 08:36 PM

Most of the midwives I've ever seen came to my house for the majority of my visits, and wouldn't DREAM of asking me to leave my house for the postpartum. That's part of the beauty of it! My last midwife drove 45 minutes to get to me, as she lived in another city.

Kamiro likes this.

Jenrose, Mama to DD1, born 1993, DD2, born 2005, and DS1, Jan. 2012. Babywearing, cosleeping, homebirthing mom with fibromyalgia and hashimotos.  DD2 has a rare chromosome disorder. 

#8 of 8 Old 10-21-2011, 04:09 AM

My mw was about an hour away and I went to her for most visits.  She came to my house for the 36 week visit.  She obviously came for the birth and then came back at 24 hours, 3 days, and 5 days later.  I could call her any time for breastfeeding or PP help. 

Many midwives in our area have a standard of traveling up to 2 hours to attend a birth.  You may also find that nursing goes much better this time around.  What about a PP doula with breastfeeding training?

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page