"High Risk" for emotional reasons???? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-12-2011, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey Mummas,

Breif run down- A traunmatic event took place in my life recently which has resulted in clinicaly diagnosed depression.. I have been put on medication that is safe to use during pregnancy (not pregnant yet- trying tho!!) which is great. However the doc said that because I am now on these anti-depressants that could catergorize me as "high risk" only for emotional reasons.

Has anyone heard of this before?

My heart is absolutely set on a home birth!

I understand that a physical high risk woman may be forced to move her birth to a hospital/birth centre in case something physically goes wrong- Placenta previa/high rish of blood loss etc.... But if my physical and emotional health are fine (Physically in good shape and by the time I am to gve birth I should be emotionally great too) would it still be wise for me to have bubba at home?

I really want this.. Thought some advice from the friendly Mummas would be good!

treehugger.gifHappy Vegetarian Gal and geek.gif Techie Man-   heartbeat.gifNewly Wed!!!heartbeat.gif  Expecting "Albi" Christmas 2012 diaper.gif

Looking forward to homebirth.jpgbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIF fuzmalesling.gif cd.gif

#2 of 10 Old 10-12-2011, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

I should also add that emotionally I would feel far more comfortable being at home rather than in the local hospital where I have known wommen who had episiotomies performed without permission!

treehugger.gifHappy Vegetarian Gal and geek.gif Techie Man-   heartbeat.gifNewly Wed!!!heartbeat.gif  Expecting "Albi" Christmas 2012 diaper.gif

Looking forward to homebirth.jpgbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIF fuzmalesling.gif cd.gif

#3 of 10 Old 10-13-2011, 04:17 AM

For just depression, and treated at that? Best to ask about risk out policies are the homebirth midwives in your area. 

Yes, some practitioners will risk people out for emotional reasons, but it's not usually depression alone. 

Also, most OBs won't touch me with a 10 foot pole, but I've not had much trouble finding midwives who are happy to work with me, and once I have a midwife happy to work with me, the perinatologist in town is happy to consult with them as needed. Most of my risk factors have little or nothing to do with pregnancy, those that have to do with pregnancy don't make the birth itself more dangerous.

Personally, I think homebirth actually has a lower risk of depression, and might be preferable for that reason alone, but then again, most of my risk factors would get exacerbated by a hospital environment anyway. 

TrumpetMom likes this.

Jenrose, Mama to DD1, born 1993, DD2, born 2005, and DS1, Jan. 2012. Babywearing, cosleeping, homebirthing mom with fibromyalgia and hashimotos.  DD2 has a rare chromosome disorder. 

#4 of 10 Old 10-13-2011, 06:48 PM

He may have been referring to risks associated with anti-depressant use during pregnancy.  There is a small (but real) risk of respiratory distress in babies born to women on SSRI's.  It is pretty easily dealt with at the hospital (especially if they have a NICU), but would be too risky to have happen at home. 

When I was pregnant and had depression I read a book called Pregnant on Prozac.  It very dispassionately spells out all of the risks/benefits of antidepressant use during pregnancy.  It was a good source of information. 

#5 of 10 Old 10-13-2011, 08:16 PM

I would talk to a midwife. My experience has been that OBs slap a high risk label on way too many pregnant women, maybe they get more money from insurance for providing 'high risk' prenatal care? Why would they want someone with depression to have a sub par birth experience that might make the depression worse? I've been 'high risk' for several pregnancies but yet had a great homebirth. A good midwife will be upfront about what is and is not in her scope of practice, just start calling around.

IdentityCrisisMama likes this.
#6 of 10 Old 10-13-2011, 09:06 PM

There is also some risk of blood pressure issues with some SSRI's during the third trimester. It is theoretical really, but it could happen. You can switch medications to prevent that being a risk. I don't believe that depression by itself would be a high risk situation, unless the mother were so seriously depressed that she might harm herself or the baby. I dealt with depression while pregnant with DD, and was considered low risk. If there is a concern about medication, you can consult with a perinatologist about the medication. I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't bat an eye at it. I have to take Ativan or Valium, as well as pain medication as needed for muscle rigidity, and I am still considered low risk after consulting a perinatologist.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#7 of 10 Old 10-14-2011, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for that Mummas.

The meds that I am on run no risk of problems for baby or me, and have been proved as the safest anti depressants for pregnant woman- so I don't think it is high risk in that area.

As for the depression itself, I am in no way self harming or but harming at all....

I think that the best thing to do would be to just call the midwives and explain??

And keep my fingers crossed?!

#8 of 10 Old 10-15-2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmumma View Post

Thanks for that Mummas.

The meds that I am on run no risk of problems for baby or me, and have been proved as the safest anti depressants for pregnant woman- so I don't think it is high risk in that area.

As for the depression itself, I am in no way self harming or but harming at all....

I think that the best thing to do would be to just call the midwives and explain??

And keep my fingers crossed?!

All anti-depressants will provide some degree of risk for you and baby. That doesn't mean that being on them is not absolutely the best thing for you to do, but all medications will carry some risk. For example, Zoloft (often the "go to" choice for pregnant and nursing moms) is now part of a class action lawsuit because some experienced birth defects. I still decided (in consult with my pediatrician, OB and psychiatrist) to be on Zoloft while nursing because the benefits far outweighed the risks and that very well may be the case for you.

Still, though, if it's an SSRI (like zoloft, prozac, etc.) it very well could be about potential lung issues/other complications after birth. I'd have a candid talk with your midwife and see what she thinks. 

#9 of 10 Old 10-16-2011, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)

There are more than a few categories of risk that some OBs consider high that a homebirth MW wouldn't.  Maternal age, fetal position, maternal weight all come to mind.  It doesn't seem like something to worry about to me.  Besides, it's not a doctor who will decide if you are high risk - it'll be your MW.  Many MWs will do a pre-pregnancy visit and they may be even more willing considering your circumstances.  Perhaps it would put your mind at ease to meet one now?  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#10 of 10 Old 12-29-2011, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Sorry, I know it's been a couple months since you posted this, but I was kind of shocked by some of the responses you got! I've been on prozac for many years and had a completely uneventful, safe, free standing birth center birth with a midwife. I talked to both my psychiatrist and my midwife about the possible risks associated with being on prozac while pregnant and having an out-of-hospital birth and they both agreed that the risks were very minimal and I didn't have anything to worry about. And they were right. I'm still on prozac and am planning a homebirth with my current pregnancy, and again my midwife isn't the least bit concerned as it doesn't classify me as a "high risk pregnancy". I honestly had never even heard of that being a possibility until now!

Good luck!

read.gif Mom of two amazing boys: blahblah.gif (9/14/10) and joy.gif (7/8/12)  Married to my bikenew.gif best friend 

Proudly slingboy.gif  cd.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif familybed2.gif signcirc1.gif treehugger.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page