What were you wearing when... - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: While in labor/birth outside of a hospital setting, what clothing did you wear during delivery?
Home birth - 100% nude during delivery 50 46.73%
Home birth - wore bra during delivery 20 18.69%
Home birth - wore shirt/gown during delivery 14 13.08%
Birthing center - 100% nude 13 12.15%
birth center - wore bra 4 3.74%
birth center - wore shirt/gown 4 3.74%
Other - because there is always "other". Please explain in comments 2 1.87%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 10-24-2011, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've wanted to know this for years. If you had your baby at home (water birth or non-waterbirth) or if you birthed at a birthing center, did you birth completely nude??? I did because it felt awful to have any clothes touching me in labor and I can't imagine wet clothes in the birthing pool. But almost every time I've seen home birth photos or videos, the mama is wearing either a bra or a shirt. I'm curious if I am in the minority having been topless at birth.

I'm assuming nobody wore pants during their birth, so that option was omitted in the poll.

Thanks!

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 36 Old 10-25-2011, 12:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had my first in a freestanding birth center, and my second at home.  I chose 100% nude, birth center, because it was my first.  I would have been 100% nude with my homebirth, but the active labor/pushing part went so fast that I didn't even get a chance to get my tank top off.  I didn't want it on, but boy was it not on my mind at the time!  I was just clinging to the side of the tub...  There wasn't a moment to really take the darn thing off.  So yes, in my homebirth photos I am wearing a shirt.

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#3 of 36 Old 10-25-2011, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Home water birth here. 

I remember having my husband's t-shirt on for awhile when I got out of the tub.  When hard labor came on, the shirt was off!  We didn't take any pictures when I was laboring... all of ours were taken right after our son was born... naked. 

'09   
#4 of 36 Old 10-25-2011, 05:50 AM

For my first home birth I wore a tank top.  For my 2nd home birth in the water I labored in shorts and a Tshirt until it was time to get in the tub.  Shorts came off, Tshirt came off, and I put on a bikini top I had bought just for the occasion.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#5 of 36 Old 10-25-2011, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)

I had two homebirths - both were nude even the first which was a transfer.  I remember rolling into the ER with nothing but a untied sarong around me.  I can't imagine having clothes on during birth.  I assume a lot of people wear clothes so they feel more comfortable showing the photos.  To me, it seems like such a personal thing to share...why would you care if your breasts show but, OTOH, I also kind of get how you would feel like you can share the photos with more people if your'e covered.  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#6 of 36 Old 10-25-2011, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Totally nude for both my home and hospital births. I get so HOT during labor that clothing was just not an option!

#7 of 36 Old 10-25-2011, 10:42 AM

I chose FSBC, nude.

I was laboring in the tub with a bathing suit top I bought for the occasion, wanted to get out to labor on land for a while, and didn't want to keep the wet clothes on, and I put a robe on instead. After transition, I wanted BACK IN THE TUB. I shed the robe and didn't want to mess with the still-wet bathing suit top. 'Naked' wasn't the plan, it just happened.

Jo - WOHM to E 12/26/10, Wife to SAHD DH.

cd.gifslingboy.giftoddler.gifbelly.gif

#8 of 36 Old 10-25-2011, 11:20 AM

I birthed my first baby in a hospital, completely nude, but I was wearing a night gown when I birthed my second baby at home, on my bed.  Ironic?

#9 of 36 Old 10-25-2011, 12:38 PM

First birth - FSBC - completely nude (in tub most of the time)

Second birth - Home (midwife) - Wore a long loose shirt

Third birth - Home (UC) - Wore sports bra through most of it (in tub a lot), but birthed completely nude

#10 of 36 Old 10-25-2011, 07:59 PM

didn't get my home birth, but thought i would chime in, i had picked out a light loose slip that i felt yummy in and had it set aside I'm my mind for the beginning of labor and knew i would be naked once things got really rocking n rolling, needed up in a hospital and nothing changed. 

i will always cherish that little slip now, i spend a long day and night in it.

I will always cherish my naked body, i spend that amazing morning in just it, the best outfit in the world!

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#11 of 36 Old 10-26-2011, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I chose nude for my home birth.  I was laboring in a night shirt, but I was using the shower for pain management, and it was so hard to dry off at the end because I was hitting transition, and I couldn't get the darn thing back on, and my hair was a dripping mess, so I just went and got on the bed and let the sheets soak it up.

#12 of 36 Old 10-28-2011, 10:16 AM

This post has been removed due to privacy reasons.

#13 of 36 Old 10-28-2011, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Three homebirths, two land and one water. With my first I was nude, second had a big loose T on, and my third (waterbirth) I was nude.

Single Mama to five 6 and under!
#14 of 36 Old 10-29-2011, 03:47 PM

here's the rundown on birth clothing-

1.  birth center/hospital birth with skirt and shirt.  they didn't notice i had them on until i was about to push.  very annoying.  

2.  birth center/hospital transfer in march (there was a wheelchair ride across the street at 1am from birth center to hospital, so i had loads of warm blankets on for that part)- i don't remember at all what i was wearing.  

3.  homebirth- nude

4.  homebirth- favorite faded Gap maternity nightgown and bra- baby came too fast for me to get naked.  i couldn't rip my clothes off fast enough after she was born.  

joy.gifSAHM and Holistic Health Counselor with  angel.gif 1/05, DS1 blahblah.gif 3/06, angel1.gif 5/07, DD1 dust.gif 3/08, DD2 thumbsuck.gif 11/09, DD3 energy.gif 4/11, and DS2 babyf.gif 2/13.  expecting a surprise stork-suprise.gif 8/14!
#15 of 36 Old 10-30-2011, 07:14 PM

#16 of 36 Old 10-30-2011, 07:37 PM

Hospital birth-hospital gown (I think)

Home birth- nude (was in and out of the tub for labor, midwife didn't do waterbirths)

Three home water births- nude, at least for the actual births (various stages of undress, towels, robes etc. for out of the water parts of labor)

Planning birth center birth for current one, due April/May- we'll see, I will probably take a few sarongs to wear in and out of the water.

rainbow1284.gifJess, mama to five boys joy.gif

#17 of 36 Old 10-31-2011, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I had a hospital birth and ended up totally nekked.  I started  out in a hospital gown, then got into the tub, got out when I had an urge to push.  I definitely could not be bothered with clothes!

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#18 of 36 Old 10-31-2011, 03:47 PM

I started out at home with a skirt and sports bra, walking around or on my yoga ball. Once I got into the tub I took everything off because I hate wearing wet clothes. Actually, I ended up having to find clothes to wear so I could go outside on my front steps to do some squats and walk the steps!  I ended up having to transfer to a hospital to deliver. They gave me a gown to wear, but it pissed me off so I just had it completely open. If I had the energy I would have taken it off completely. For me, it's more awkward to be half naked rather than fully naked.

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#19 of 36 Old 11-08-2011, 01:05 AM

Birth one, homebirth in water, wore sports bra.

Birth two, hospital birth (fully Midwife attended), wore my own nightie.

Birth three, homebirth, wore long t-shirt.

I never fully lose my modesty so I wouldn't feel comfortable being fully naked (am I the only one who hates the word "nude"?). I think it's so cool and primal to be naked...but I just can't do it.

Super crunchy Mama to DS1, DS2, DD and wanting a bunch more!  We homeschool, bed share, homebirth and baby wear. We're attached, we only cloth diaper and we don't vax. There's a lot more to us than that, but it won't all fit. 

#20 of 36 Old 11-08-2011, 02:39 PM

I had my first four in the hospital, and I was in a stupid gown. Yuck.

With my home water birth, I was in a swim suit top, but I took it off right when she was born. I don't think I'll wear anything this time.

#21 of 36 Old 11-08-2011, 04:58 PM

I was 100% nude during my hospital birth. Occasionally, the nurse would offer me a gown or blanket because she thought I was cold but I never kept it on long. I was in and out of the tub as well so it just didn't make sense to put something on if I was going to take it off again. I didn't plan on being naked, it just happened that way. We're having a homebirth this time around and unless it gets really cold, I doubt I'll be wearing clothes for this birth.

Wife to DH stillheart.gif 08/09 and SAHM to DD 09/08 and DS 11/11

Surprise! Expecting #3 Nov. 2013!
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36 yikes2.gif **40

#22 of 36 Old 11-09-2011, 09:03 AM

I'm very private/modest and knew I would never get fully nude even though the midwife said I would forget that in labor.

Homebirth-labored in baggy shirt, yoga pants, and a swim suit halter top. When I finally got in the birth pool I kept my swim top on. They made me get out to birth/push which I then put on a cover up skirt. They told me to take it off after my water broke so ultimately I birthed in a halter top swim suit which was very comfortable and easy to remove for nursing.

Emelee married to J in 03/07. 12/10 our DD C was at 41.3 weeks, and 06/12 our fraternal DDs A and V were hospital birth at 41.1 weeks.
#23 of 36 Old 11-10-2011, 06:17 AM

there was no multiple options for the poll so I vote don my last birth. naked at home during pushing. (long labors so I am all over the place, walking, inside, outside, shower, etc)

at the birth center with #2 I had a tank top on.

and my first birth ( which wasn't asked about b/c it was hospital) I had a gown on.

I imagine you see less video/photo of naked births b/c peopel are less hesitant to post naked video/photos of themselves.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#24 of 36 Old 11-10-2011, 06:47 PM

Completely nekked during one hospital birth and two homebirths.

At some point I always want to get into the water, and after that, well, no way in heck am I even thinking about trying to put clothes on damp skin in between contractions.

#25 of 36 Old 11-10-2011, 06:56 PM

I only had a hosp birth, so I'm not really answering your question, but I loved the hospital gown!!!!  It was loose and easy and I did not give one thought to any bodily fluids that landed on it!

I did not get in the tub or shower, though- maybe that made it easier for me to keep the gown on.  I remember the doula suggesting that I get in the shower, and I was like dizzy.gif ??  Couldn't figure out how to manage that and stay covered.

I never lost my modesty during labor at all.

Anyway.... loved the hospital gown!

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

#26 of 36 Old 11-11-2011, 07:44 AM

I started laboring in the sundress I was wearing that day but took it off at some point during the process (I honestly have no recollection of taking it off.) Then I labored for the rest of the time in my bra, only because I was too focused on the contractions to bother taking it off. Once my son was born, bra came off so he could nurse right away. I still love wearing the sundress and think about my son's birth every time!

~may all beings be free from suffering~
#27 of 36 Old 11-17-2011, 04:54 PM
rad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

All 6 of mine were homeborn and I was pretty much nude the whole time. Occasionally I'd slip on a robe or sarong, but usually it'd come off quickly.

Rachel , wifey to best friend Karl ,
SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

#28 of 36 Old 11-18-2011, 05:12 AM

Naked!  For both of them - I started off clothed, but the clothes came off somewhere along the line.  Oh, thinking back - I did actually have a pair of smartwool socks on at the end of my 2nd birth (it was December and we didn't have central heating at the time ;)). 

Lizbiz, wife to my man who makes me smile, and mom to one bouncy boy (08/07), one sassy girl (12/09), and one sweet new boy (08/12).

#29 of 36 Old 11-28-2011, 09:50 AM

this.

#30 of 36 Old 12-04-2011, 05:26 PM

I wore a baggy t shirt of hubby's

I'm kind of a never nude. I prefer to have at least part of me dressed at all times unless I'm in the shower or in bed with hubby ;)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page