Anxiety about my upcoming homebirth - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 10-25-2011, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all! I could use some encouragement from other moms who have been there. I'm 37.5 weeks and preparing for a homebirth with a lovely bunch of midwives. I'm glad I found them as I moved to England from the States near the end of my first trimester and they've been wonderful. But this week I'm starting to feel a little down and more than a little nervous. I tested positive for Group B strep and the baby is solidly posterior and has been for some time. We plan to treat the Group B with hibiclens (they can't administer IV antibiotics and I'm allergic to most of the common ones anyway) and transfer to the hospital if I break a fever or if I go 18+ hours with broken waters, but the posterior positioning of the baby has me freaked out that I'll go too long, and...blech.

I'm driving myself CRAZY with "What if..."s. My first birth two and a half years ago was a pretty typical American hospital experience with all the interventions, etc. but at least she was correctly positioned, I was negative for strep, and it was only five hours from the first contraction to the last push. So do any of you have any happy words for me? I feel like getting my head right is going to do so much more for my anxiety than all the positioning and stocking up on hibiclens in the world. :)

Mom to my blondie girl M1 (April 2009) and my gingersnap girl M2 (November 2011)

#2 of 18 Old 10-26-2011, 04:18 PM

If you've already delivered a baby vaginally, this baby will probably turn before or during labor and you will have no problems at all. If you want to try something else, I would suggest chiropractic, but really, your baby knows how to be born and you have already "made room" with your first birth so I'm sure it will be fine!

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#3 of 18 Old 10-29-2011, 04:05 PM

well, can't speak for anyone else, but can give you my experience-

1st baby in hospital- no one even mentioned he was posterior, and after 16 hours of back labor (which i managed to keep quiet about b/c i didn't want to whine or get any more negative attention from the hospital staff) epidural, and then delivered OP baby boy.  7lbs 15oz, and a two week hospitalization for us all.

my 2nd pregnancy i tested positive for group B strep- since my water doesn't break until the baby is heading out, I didn't want to do the antibiotics, but went along with it.  baby was posterior, and the birth center midwife could not get a good read on baby's heartbeat the entire labor due to her position.  this led to a hospital transfer (after a go-home and midnight return) that quickly became delivery.  she was 7lbs 9oz, 5 min of pushing.  

due to many factors, i chose homebirth for my 3rd, who was posterior her entire time in me.  this led to a longer labor, and painful back labor, but finally i pushed and she turned around and came out in 20 minutes.  8lbs 8oz, 42+ weeks old, and perfect.

4th baby- same homebirth providers, first non-posterior baby ever.  first non-back labor experience, and no worries about bacteria.  3.5 hours of active labor.  she was 7lbs. (by this time, i stopped doing the group B strep test b/c my water breaks about 1-3 hours before baby comes out.)

relax- talk to your care providers.  homebirth midwives are way more supportive of back labor, and are very interactive in trying to resolve it.  both my hospital experiences were less supported.  and if you can't do the homebirth, you can transfer and get drugs if that is what you need- though on baby 2 it's very unlikely.  i started pushing on the 2nd even though i wasn't fully dilated (nor did i know i was pushing) and the midwife let me try and we had the 5 push baby.  i'm glad my homebirth midwife doesn't do internal exams (reducing group B and other contamination) and with the last 2 I pushed when i was ready.  and the baby's all came along with it.  last birth i remember looking over at the midwife and saying 'i just don't want to do it.  it hurts.'  She patted my head and said "don't worry, you don't have to push, that baby'll come out on it's own."- i passed out, woke up and pushed, and just let it all go, and i really felt like the baby did come out on her own, i just helped a little.  very different from pushing out an OP firstborn....

joy.gifSAHM and Holistic Health Counselor with  angel.gif 1/05, DS1 blahblah.gif 3/06, angel1.gif 5/07, DD1 dust.gif 3/08, DD2 thumbsuck.gif 11/09, DD3 energy.gif 4/11, and DS2 babyf.gif 2/13.  expecting a surprise stork-suprise.gif 8/14!
#4 of 18 Old 10-30-2011, 10:36 AM

My baby was stubbornly posterior. I went to a chiropractor everyother week for the last six weeks of pregnancy, and also did exercises recommended at spinningbabies.com

He turned around the right way at about 38 weeks, born at 40 w, 1 d.

I delivered a 7 lb baby in about 3 hours, 45 mins. If you can find a chiropractor who has extra training in maternity chiropractor...ing, I highly recommend it. This was my first baby.

Mama to Silas Anansi, born 9/9/10 and Petra Eadaion, born 10/1/12.

#5 of 18 Old 10-30-2011, 03:46 PM

My last baby hung out posterior until right before labor, and this one is still posterior most of the time at 36 wks. A lot of babies won't turn until you're in labor, especially since you've got more room than last time, as other posters mentioned. Baby knows what to do, and will get in the right place when it's time. I really would try not to worry. It's not likely that your water will break 18+ hours before baby is born, and with a history of fast labors, you'll probably have this baby quickly, too.

ETA: Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure my first was posterior, too, but it was a hospital birth and it was never mentioned. Even in that awful, flat-on-back hospital pushing position, she turned at the last minute and all was well.

Mom to blahblah.gifDD (5/07), diaper.gifDS1 (02/10)h20homebirth.gif and babyboy.gif DS2 (11/11)h20homebirth.gif !

#6 of 18 Old 11-16-2011, 11:26 PM

#7 of 18 Old 11-17-2011, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone! I'm pleased to report that the baby is now facing the correct way. Took HOURS on the ball and lots of walking but all is correct and well. :) Now the kid just needs to be born--almost 41 weeks!

Mom to my blondie girl M1 (April 2009) and my gingersnap girl M2 (November 2011)

#8 of 18 Old 11-17-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deannanmc View Post

Thanks, everyone! I'm pleased to report that the baby is now facing the correct way. Took HOURS on the ball and lots of walking but all is correct and well. :) Now the kid just needs to be born--almost 41 weeks!

My DD came at 41w1d. I thought I was going to die. Time was moving so slow and I was so agitated, that I thought I was going to start ACTUALLY killing people. Then, she was born....and I forgot about every moment of that excruciating wait!!

Sleep, mama.....sleep and feed your body well and rest and rest and rest. Happy birthing to you!

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#9 of 18 Old 11-18-2011, 12:12 PM

congrats!  hoping this little one is ready now too!

joy.gifSAHM and Holistic Health Counselor with  angel.gif 1/05, DS1 blahblah.gif 3/06, angel1.gif 5/07, DD1 dust.gif 3/08, DD2 thumbsuck.gif 11/09, DD3 energy.gif 4/11, and DS2 babyf.gif 2/13.  expecting a surprise stork-suprise.gif 8/14!
#10 of 18 Old 11-18-2011, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

We have a girl! 41 weeks exactly. Born at home this morning. 10lbs, 2oz, 21", perfectly anterior and no infection symptoms. Thank you for the support!!

Youngfrankenstein likes this.

#11 of 18 Old 11-18-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deannanmc View Post

We have a girl! 41 weeks exactly. Born at home this morning. 10lbs, 2oz, 21", perfectly anterior and no infection symptoms. Thank you for the support!!

YEAHHHHHHH MAMAMAMAMAAAAA!! Wooohooo!! Congrats, little girls ROCK!! I'm so happy for you, rest up and take care of yourself...the fun is begun!! <3 <3 <3

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#12 of 18 Old 11-20-2011, 01:02 PM

Congrats!  Blessings!  Joy, peace and rest to you all now!  must tell story soon for us!

#13 of 18 Old 11-25-2011, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Here is the birth story! Thanks to all for your kind words: http://travelingmonkeys.org/2011/11/25/moira-part-1/

#14 of 18 Old 11-25-2011, 04:05 PM

Amazing!

Congrats mama :) She is BEAUTIFUL.

Melissa, momma to Hunter 8 , Julianna 7, Harley 23 months,  and breastfeeding, babywearing and bedsharing with my Dylan, born 1/18/2011.

intactivist.gifslingboy.giflactivist.gif

#15 of 18 Old 11-28-2011, 02:00 AM

Big congrats to you, what a fab story and so well written! Thanks for sharing and happy babymoon to you :)joy.gif

#16 of 18 Old 11-29-2011, 02:39 AM

Yay, what a super fabulous story and a BEAUTIFUL kid! Happy Babymoonin'!!

#17 of 18 Old 11-29-2011, 09:38 AM

awesome story- shoulder and all!  so glad you made it through the homebirth and delivered that amazingly lovely little baby Moira!

#18 of 18 Old 11-29-2011, 10:04 PM

congratulations!!!

homebirth.jpg intactlact.gif love of DH and mama to DS born 1/12

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page