Mothering Forum banner

For how many days after birth did you use ice packs?

17K views 17 replies 18 participants last post by  Erin77 
#1 ·
I am due with #3 in Jan, but I can't remember how long I used ice packs down there after birth. Both times before I have used the "frozen maxi pad shaped to a bowl" routine. This time I was considering these, but they are more pricey.

http://inhishands.com/Peri-Cold-Pack.92

If they aren't used for very many days then it might be nice to have them and worth it because they wouldn't start leaking water everywhere and such. But it could start to add up if it's a lot of days or if you have to change them really often.

So, does anyone remember? How many days with ice?

Thanks!

jess

#4 ·
I had a really long labor though no tearing (thank the lord!). He was born Friday morning and I think I only used ice for the first day? Definitely done with it by Saturday evening. I had one of those pads that you link to above, and then my midwives left a few rubber gloves behind that DH filled with crushed ice. That worked pretty well.

#5 ·
I used one condom filled with crushed ice right after my second but it was just too cold and I worried about breaking it open in my bed. I didn't need the ice packs. With my first, I had two 4th degree tears and stitches and the pain was bad but the itching was horrible! I decided I never want stitches again there. My second I didn't have any tears and although I was very sore, I used more soothing herbal afterbirth tea packs and lots of water when going potty. I am due in a couple weeks with #3 and we shall see but I love bathing post birth, especially with my new baby so I guess I find that more soothing than ice. Hope you figure it out! I have heard that freezing pad with witch hazel is amazing! I don't know from experience, however!

#8 ·
I used the ice packs you linked to for a couple of days until the ones I got from the hospital ran out. Then I used pads frozen with a peri tea for a while after that. Maybe a week total? Then again I was pushing for over 8 hours and had 2nd degree tears, so I was hurtin! I ended up transferring to the hospital after about 6 hours.

The way I made my frozen pads, I didn't soak them, only sprayed heavily with a peri tea solution, so they didn't leak. But I have to say that the instant ice packs were great the first couple of days when I didn't want to have to walk to the freezer everytime I went to the bathroom. FYI, they have absolutely no absorbancy whatsoever, so I wore them inside a depends diaper and it was a little bit of icy heaven!

#10 ·
My midwife had me make some icepacks by mixing water and rubbing alcohol and pouring that into a zip-top sandwich bag. I think I then put it in 2 additional bags, the outer one could be changed after use. These froze slushy, not solid. I wrapped them in flannel and wore them inside my regular pad. These felt good and did not leak, but were a bit bulky. I used them for the first 24 hours or so, but not constantly.

I also soaked some gauze pads in comfrey tea and froze them individually. I could then use these against my skin inside my pad to promote healing. I did this a few times a day for the first week or so.

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrose_lee View Post

I am due with #3 in Jan, but I can't remember how long I used ice packs down there after birth. Both times before I have used the "frozen maxi pad shaped to a bowl" routine. This time I was considering these, but they are more pricey.

http://inhishands.com/Peri-Cold-Pack.92
I just wanted to say that these are the best things EVER! I got some from the hospital with my first (though they charged me something like $13 apiece, grrrr) and saved them for my homebirth...loved 'em. So much easier than messing with frozen wet pads etc. That said, I used them for the first couple of days each time. Someone suggested getting some Depends for labor and postpartum, and this was one of the best pieces of advice I received: great for laboring after ROM, and easy to stick the ice packs in there rather than trying to get them to stay in one's undies.

#13 ·
with my homebirth i used damp frozen washcloths .. i only used them for about 18-24 hours - i remember hearing somewhere that ice helps (reduce swelling etc) the first day and after that it can slow healing ? i had a lot of stitches.. i used some kind of fancy frozen pads for my 2nd hospital birth and only used them the first 12 hours..

#14 ·
I put water/alcohol mix in a rubber glove....heavenly and entertaining!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2SammyJoe View Post

My midwife had me make some icepacks by mixing water and rubbing alcohol and pouring that into a zip-top sandwich bag. I think I then put it in 2 additional bags, the outer one could be changed after use. These froze slushy, not solid. I wrapped them in flannel and wore them inside my regular pad. These felt good and did not leak, but were a bit bulky. I used them for the first 24 hours or so, but not constantly.

I also soaked some gauze pads in comfrey tea and froze them individually. I could then use these against my skin inside my pad to promote healing. I did this a few times a day for the first week or so.

#15 ·
I only used ice/frozen pads the first night, and then again at 3 days pp when I completely overdid it and felt very swollen and throbby. It was heaven!! I just had DH pour witch hazel on some pads and freeze them. He put foil b/w them so they wouldn't freeze together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.