homebirth is healing - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-02-2011, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

After lots of lasting trauma from a hospital birth, I had a homebirth. It was so much less stressful than a hospital and traditional prenatal approach. i even had gestational diabetes, which i  monitored carefully and controlled with exercise. the baby was healthy and we were all less stressed. I recommend it to those on the fence.

#2 of 10 Old 11-05-2011, 11:28 PM

I totally agree! I had a terrible hospital birth. I had a 4th degree tear and had to go to surgery so I was separated from my baby, then had difficulty with nursing, and just didn't like being told what to do all the time. I was told I could never have a vaginal birth again because of the tear. Well, the episiotomy was the culprit, not the big baby! I found a great midwife and the last two kids were born at home with no tears at all! It was amazing. I also recommend it for those on the fence, I'm a firm believer in it!

#3 of 10 Old 11-06-2011, 02:21 AM

ditto. first birth hospital with trauma- 2nd birth peaceful at home.

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#4 of 10 Old 11-16-2011, 11:16 PM

I had a very traumatizing experience at a birth center.  My son is permanently disabled.  Biggest regret of my life.

#5 of 10 Old 10-05-2012, 08:53 PM

KmAndrews, so sorry to hear about it! Thanks for being brave enough to speak up though. Too many times women who have had bad experiences at home or birth centers are "hushed up" as if it's wrong or not "nice" to talk about when things go badly. I'm very sorry for the loss of your son's health.

Mom of 5 working full-time and waiting to go to nursing school! Whew! I need a nap! joy.gif

#6 of 10 Old 10-06-2012, 01:08 PM

I love any healing experience. With number two I hope to go it at home and heal the trauma that happened there- I loved my hospital experience. KMandrews thank you for sharing your experience because all too often the NCB community can minimize and push aside mom's that have outcomes that are not the most positive. Pam England does great work with birth trauma and after trauma (my son ended up in the ped. intensive care unit for seven days). Pam does work in person and over the phone or skype, you can reach her at www.bfwnewmexico.com ore she may be able to find you a birth story listener in your area. KMandrews, I am not sure of your state of mind, but I can recognize the feeling of regret, I hope I am not overstepping my bounds by recommending her.

#7 of 10 Old 10-07-2012, 03:23 PM

my friend had a 4th degree tear at a birth center. she had it repaired at the hospital, but the midwife convinced her to get repaired with no anestheisa so she wouldn't have to be admitted. then she went back to the birth center. which briefly caught fire.

#8 of 10 Old 10-07-2012, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'll be a voice of dissent... sorta...

My first birth was actually really empowering in the hospital.  Then my second birth was really slow and plodding and then at the end he just EXPLODED out of me and it felt really traumatic (though it was a "perfect" birth), despite it being at home.  That said, not disrupting our family with a hospital stay made me go for it again for my third birth (also at home), which was AWESOME, and amazing and spectacular and perfect.

Anyway, scary/bad feelings happen (even during normal births) at home, too, sometimes, but obviously I still felt better about home  birthing the next child than I did going to the hospital. :)

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#9 of 10 Old 10-07-2012, 07:18 PM

My first homebirth was also not healing.  My first birth had been a perfect natural birth in a hospital. My second baby and I were completely fine (except for the tear which I did have in the hospital as well) but various things, most of which were beyond anyones control and could have happened anywhere, really put me off kilter. 

I will say that the third birth (my second homebirth) WAS a healing birth as everything went almost perfectly.

#10 of 10 Old 10-08-2012, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)

FYI, this is an old thread and it's possible that the PP's are not checking the status of this thread any longer. At this point, I think I would consider PMing members who posted last year with any valuable information you have to share. If there is significant need/want to discuss whether or not homebirth is healing, a new thread may be a better way to get the conversation started. 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page