The "Witch" Doctor Is At It Again - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-08-2011, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Dr Amy has graced TIME Magazine with an article, fearing more women away from natural birth.

http://ideas.time.com/2011/11/07/what-ricki-lake-doesnt-tell-you-about-homebirth/?xid=rss-topstories&mid=5234

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 11-09-2011, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wow! She is quite a piece of work! I wish I could come back with a good one, but have been out of the loop for a while.

#3 of 13 Old 11-10-2011, 06:33 AM

I can't read it.  It just upsets me too much.

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#4 of 13 Old 11-10-2011, 07:15 AM

She's off her rocker.  I don't let her get to me anymore.  You can't argue with a loon.

dizzy.gif DS1: 10/89 - DD1: 06/94 - DD2: 02/97 - DS2: 12/05 - DS3: 12/08 - DC6: ETA 04/26/12

I'll be 42 when the newest little one is born! Yowza!

#5 of 13 Old 11-10-2011, 08:56 AM

Actually, I think Dr. Amy makes a number of valid points. I can appreciate her passion for keeping moms and babes safe, even if I disagree with some of her methods. Though she is too vitriolic for my taste, calling her a witch is a bit harsh.

Sent from my Comet using Tapatalk

I'm Rach, full-time mama and part-time doula.  I love my city life with Mr. J stillheart.gif, Little J diaper.gif (05/03/10), and brand new Baby V love.gif (02/11/13)!

#6 of 13 Old 11-10-2011, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IwannaBanRN View Post

Dr Amy has graced TIME Magazine with an article, fearing more women away from natural birth.
http://ideas.time.com/2011/11/07/what-ricki-lake-doesnt-tell-you-about-homebirth/?xid=rss-topstories&mid=5234

She doesn't say anything bad about natural birth... just about homebirth.

Birth freedom has its faults. There's a baby involved, not just a mother's birthing experience. Women need to choose qualified, certified and properly schooled care for themselves and their unborns.
#7 of 13 Old 11-10-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post

Birth freedom has its faults. There's a baby involved, not just a mother's birthing experience. Women need to choose qualified, certified and properly schooled care for themselves and their unborns.

What makes you think they don't?

NishaG momsling.GIF - Wife to Big K for 20 years - Mama to KJ and KC, and our 1st baby girl, KS, born 1/20/12 familybed1.gif diaper.gif!

#8 of 13 Old 11-10-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NishaG View Post

eyesroll.gif Because it's super-important to come to the homebirth forum and tell women that it isn't safe..... <sigh>

#9 of 13 Old 11-10-2011, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NishaG View Post

I'm in Oregon. The laws for lay baby catchers here are woefully inadequate.. there have been some deaths. A couple in my own community.
#10 of 13 Old 11-10-2011, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I can't even read this lady's blog. I'm all for being passionate about things you love, but she's extremely abrasive. Her post about elective deliveries before 39 weeks made my skin crawl. (I'm not a Dr., but of course you'll see an increase in stillbirths with longer pregnancies. Does that mean we should encourage early elective induction and c-sections, though? I can't justify that with the information she gave.)

As for TIME, she's a sensationalist. Sensationalists sell magazines and drive traffic. greensad.gif

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#11 of 13 Old 11-10-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:

That's how I started out. If I could do it all over again, I'd run, not walk, to the nearest underground midwife.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#12 of 13 Old 11-10-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:

I'm in Oregon. The laws for lay baby catchers here are woefully inadequate.. there have been some deaths. A couple in my own community.

In Ohio we have no laws in support of midwives.  I'm not sure why you think they aren't qualified because the state doesn't recognize their certifications.  I find it laughable that we're having this "debate".  Haven't we all learned that there are awesome caregivers inside and outside of hospitals as well as terrible ones?

#13 of 13 Old 11-18-2011, 06:56 AM

Yeah all that might be true about what she said, but she still points out in the end that the risk is very low for death. It's childbirth, things go wrong once in a while. 12 deaths out of 10,000 is NOTHING! I mean it's terrible and all, but think about how miniscule that is. What's the point of even making a big deal out of such a tiny statistic?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page