MRSA and Homebirth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 11-17-2011, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello all-

This is my first post and I just need some advice/someone to talk to. I am 32 weeks pregnant with DD #2. Our family has battled MRSA for 4 years. Our infections used to be absolutely horrible, having to go to the surgeon to get them lanced, etc. After we went off antibiotics completely, the infections started getting less frequent and less severe. Yes, still there, but more manageable.

So, I was planning a birth center birth for this baby (was in the hospital with DD#1). My DH and I informed the birth center at the start of our care that we have dealt with recurrent MRSA infections. Well, my DD recently had another infection on her butt and I just asked her dr. to take a look at it at her 3 year old checkup. Well, she's our family doc and she called the birth center telling them about our DD and her infection. So at my appointment at the birth center just a few days ago, I was talked to about how they may not be able to let me birth there, and if I do there may be a lot of conditions, such as not allowing me to use the tub, using everything disposable, wearing masks throughout labor, etc.

The midwife admitted to me she doesn't really know about MRSA and has never really dealt with it before. Don't get me wrong, I do understand that it's scary, but they don't know about how it's spread, etc. The way I was talked to was just humiliating. I don't know why they are just bringing this up now when they've had my entire pregnancy to freak about it.

My DH and I don't know what to do. They may let us stay there, with stipulations, but I have been strongly considering homebirth now. I am afraid I will be too tense at the center about their phobia of me that I won't be able to relax. My concern now, also, is that I won't be able to find a homebirth midwife in our area who will come near my family once we tell them we are MRSA carriers. We take great measures to prevent spreading it (frequent and proper handwashing, if there is a sore, covered at all times and chaning bandages with gloves, 7th gen. disinfectant wipes in every room of the house and daily disinfecting of surfaces.)

Sorry this is so long, I just really feel crushed because I wanted a water birth at the birth center and now if I can't find a homebirth midwife, what do I do? I can't bear to be in the hospital again. Traumatic experience with DD#1. I welcome any advice, but please be gentle as I have been treated like a leper the past few days. Thanks.

#2 of 27 Old 11-17-2011, 06:20 PM

I would think a HB would be abetter option b/c the MW would need to be concerned about herself getting MRSA but not other patients KWIM? The MW can certainly use standard precautions and get those long gloves so you can still have a water birth.

Sorry they are freaking out! I'm sure it's mostly about liability and what not :/

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#3 of 27 Old 11-21-2011, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone? Help, please. I just met with a home birth midwife who won't take us for home birth because of this. I do not want to be forced into going to a hospital. So discouraged right now.

#4 of 27 Old 11-21-2011, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)

Oh, jeeze!  I'm so sorry, mama.  If I were you I would stay calm for a while.  Call all the HB midwives in your area but first maybe do some research about MRSA and birth.  Midwifery Today may have an article or two.  I'll check around and see what I can find...

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#5 of 27 Old 11-21-2011, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)

I did a super quick search and didn't see anything.  Maybe a MW on the boards has some suggestions.  I would also stop over to health and healing to see if maybe someone there is familiar with MRSA.  It may not be a bad idea to speak with an OB just to get the medical opinion on why you are being risked out of a birth center and HB.  On that thought, did you ask a lot of questions from your birth center MW and the HB MW who risked you out?  If not, totally call them back and talk and ask questions about specifically WHY they will not take you.  I think I would do that before calling another HB midwife.  Good luck, mama!  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#6 of 27 Old 11-22-2011, 06:14 AM

Well I was a CNA for 5 years and I do know MRSA has special precautions...which is *probably* why they risked you out. It is spreadable and any risk to another woman or child could be very problematic. Also with open wounds (a tear giving birth or something) it could easily spread...

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#7 of 27 Old 11-22-2011, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

IdentityCrisisMama-

Thanks for looking, too. I was not able to find any real information about MRSA and homebirth, etc, after hours of googling. I did talk to them, and they are all afraid I am going to "contaminate" their equipment. I don't understand why this is a reason as it can't be spread just through my touching things with healthy skin (non-infected). And anyways, I would think they should be following standard procedures for disinfecting after any births they attend anyways. Which board would I go on where there may be some midwives to talk to? Thanks for your help.

#8 of 27 Old 11-22-2011, 06:34 PM

I feel awful for you.  They do know that there are plenty of asymptomatic carriers, don't they?  PLENTY of people who have it think it is just a spider bite.  NUMEROUS people carry it in their nasal passages, and never end up with a boil/abcess. 

I just don't get it.  At this time, the protocol is only to keep active infections covered, and to isolate people with active infections in the ER.  The recommendation for people that have had more than one infection, or in families where more than one person has had an infection, is for them to treat their nasal passages with an antibiotic swab until they are clear.  There is NO protocol for people who have had it, and do not have an active infection.  I mean seriously- they may have patients who have had MRSA who are wearing t-shirt, sleeveless shirts, shorts, skirts, etc. and sitting on and touching their equipment.  They have NO IDEA. 

sosurreal09 likes this.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#9 of 27 Old 11-22-2011, 07:44 PM

I'd be seriously pissed at your family doc for doing that to you! It's not like YOU were getting treatment for an active infection.

What does the birth center suggest you do? Are they bouncing you to their back up docs at a local hospital? What would be the protocol the hospital would follow for this known infection? Can the back up doc discuss protocols with the birth center? Can you ask the back up docs for recommendations for other midwives?

Is this something that prophylactic antibiotics could help with? Could you do a nasal swab for active infection, kind of like a strep B swab, to put eveyone's mind at ease?

Is there concern for your baby being at risk for a life threatening infection caused by being exposed to your infection? What does the doc say?

Is there concern that you could develop a much more serious infection? What does the doc say?

If it was me, I would also be hesitant to birth with midwives that were fearful. Fear gets in the way of judgment. I think you are right to seek care from someone else. Can the birth center recommend other midwives to you?

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

#10 of 27 Old 11-22-2011, 09:29 PM

Isn't that a HIPPA violation? Your family doc called the birth center to inform them about a condition your daughter had presented with? That's a violation of your daughter's medical privacy. It was none of the BC's business what is going on with her (strictly speaking). I would seriously consider reporting the doc. That was inappropriate at best.

Kelly1101 and sosurreal09 like this.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#11 of 27 Old 11-23-2011, 05:01 PM

When moms list the advantages of home and birth-center births, one of the things that comes up for lots of women is the avoidance of the sorts of infections that are so prevalent in hospitals. MRSA is a big one on that list. Hospitals have pretty extensive protocols in place to try and prevent MRSA from spreading -- much more involved than standard/universal precautions -- and STILL it spreads. That tells me that containing and controlling MRSA is not so easy. If your birth center midwives are figuring out (belatedly, it sounds like) that dealing with your MRSA is going to involve more than their standard precautions, maybe their conditions and stipulations aren't coming so much from fear or panic or prejudice or a concern about litigation (really, kind of a snotty comment by the previous poster); maybe they're worrying about how to take care of you and their other families, and how to keep their birth center clear of a bad infection.

You describe your family struggling for four years with MRSA infections -- some 'horrible" ones among them. That sounds like a pretty bad MRSA bug -- not the one that people carry with no knowledge or symptoms.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with the MRSA, and sorry that it's complicating your birth, but maybe your local home birth and birth center midwives are trying to do their imperfect best to protect their communities. How is that bad?

hildare and Kamiro like this.
#12 of 27 Old 11-23-2011, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

I am pretty pissed at our family dr. for doing that- completely inappropriate and she didn't have my permission. We had our "appointment" at the Birth Center today (during which they never so much as asked or even said anything about the baby or checked on her) and were told we are no longer allowed to be there. And another hb midwife called to cancel our meeting because of this.

About the hospitals- there are extensive protocols, but often they are not followed. Prime example being when my husband was in isolation in a hospital last year because of an infection, and we had to remind the nurse to wear gloves, and put on a gown when she came into the room. These "protocols" are not being followed and it's not so much of MRSA being impossible to contain, but ignorant healthcare workers not adhering to basic protocols.

And yes, our infections were horrible at one point- the one where we did everything the ID doctor told us to and that's what landed my husband in the hospital near death. This is hardly an issue anymore; infections are very few and far between.

BreathlessWonder- thank you. I agree with everything you said. Funny thing is now today I was told during birth MRSA would spread from me sweating. Ha ha. This just goes to show that the people I have been worked with are very poorly educated about this.

Sorry, I am just so angry right now because I feel that the kind of birth I was dreaming of and hoping with all my heart for has just been torn away from me. I am basically forced into a hospital (where there's even more MRSA), and feel that I can't birth how I want to. I had a traumatic birth experience with my DD#1 and don't want to be in that place again and have regrets about this birth too.

#13 of 27 Old 11-23-2011, 07:16 PM

Hard to know what your family doctor was thinking here, or what her responsibilities are. There are circumstances in which provider-to-provider communication is legally and ethically appropriate. But I have to say that, as a home birth midwife, I really count on honest, complete communication with my clients. You seem pissed that the doc told the midwives about your daughter's infection... But don't you think you had an obligation to tell the midwives about this yourself? An active MRSA infection in your household is certainly relevant to your care, right?

And again, you refer to a MRSA infection putting your husband in the hospital "near death." That is not your run-of-the-mill MRSA. I hear how much you want your birth the way you want it, but surely you also feel some responsibility for protecting other mothers and babies from the infections your family has had to suffer with, no? It's terrible that you're put in the position of thinking about that, but that's where you seem to be.

Kamiro likes this.
#14 of 27 Old 11-23-2011, 07:36 PM

Breathless Wonder,

You're mistaken about the MRSA protocols for carriers who don't have active infections, at least when it comes to birth. Look up MRSA on labor and delivery -- it's a huge deal.

You say:

NUMEROUS people carry it in their nasal passages, and never end up with a boil/abcess

But Bluesparks has said that her family has had numerous infections, including a current one and past "horrible ones." 

You say:

I just don't get it. . . .I mean seriously- they may have patients who have had MRSA who are wearing t-shirt, sleeveless shirts, shorts, skirts, etc. and sitting on and touching their equipment.  They have NO IDEA. 

But birth is not just about sitting around with dry, intact skin showing, right? Blood, sweat, tears, mucus, feces, urine, vomit... I've seen it all, been splashed by it all, and had all of it get on my equipment at births (and I am careful, believe me). And I've never but never gotten through a water birth without getting wet... with water that has blood, urine, sweat, vaginal mucus, amniotic fluid, and sometimes feces in it. So... a little different from someone sitting in my office in her t-shirt.

I'm not really sure what birth centers and we home birth midwives can do/should do with known MRSA, but I am pretty sure that we shouldn't make light of it and blow it off. That's how the hospitals got into the trouble they're in.

#15 of 27 Old 11-23-2011, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I am done here. I wanted some support/encouragement and TiredMidwife, this thread has taken an ugly turn. It's no longer helpful and I don't appreciate your comments.

#16 of 27 Old 11-23-2011, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I am done here. I wanted some support/encouragement and TiredMidwife, this thread has taken an ugly turn. It's no longer helpful and I don't appreciate your comments.

#17 of 27 Old 11-24-2011, 07:34 AM

OP, I'm sorry you feel attacked and are leaving the conversation. I had never heard of MRSA before and I'm finding this thread very enlightening.

I am concerned that you have been treated so callously by your midwives. Have they referred you to someone else for care, someone that will be able to provide care? 32 weeks is a terrible time to just drop someone. I am under the impression that they are required legally and ethically to continue your care until you have been accepted by another care provider, which they are required to refer you to. It seems like this is medical abandonment.

I completely understand your frustration and overwhelming sadness at what is happening. You've just lost your shot at an out-of-hospital birth. You say that you don't want to repeat your experience at the last hospital, is there another hospital you can go to? Can you find a different health care provider than last time with privileges at another hospital, even if it's further away that you had planned? It does make a difference which hospital you use.

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

#18 of 27 Old 11-26-2011, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)

bluespark67 I can appreciate that the info tiredmidwife gave is not quite what you were looking for but I don't think it is "ugly". She's concerned about your safety and the safety of your unborn child as well as your entire family. It's always good to hear all sides of information and ideas so that you can make informed choices. I would discuss MRSA and the potential concerns regarding homebirth with a health care provider you trust and respect. 

Kamiro likes this.

#19 of 27 Old 11-28-2011, 07:17 AM

Bluesparks67,

Don't know if you're still here, but I want to apologize if there was anything in my tone that came across as "ugly." That was certainly no part of the energy I felt when I wrote it, but I recognize that it's hard to control tone in email, especially when the subject is difficult.

Your initial post asked for advice about an upsetting and complicated situation. I'm a regular reader of these forums, but I haven't posted before. I joined and posted to respond to your request, and I tried to do that in a careful way. I think my tone was pretty respectful, Bluesparks, but it's true that I didn't rush in to reassure you that your MRSA is no big deal, and that your midwives are clearly in the wrong here. At the risk of upsetting you again, I have to wonder whether in this case "ugly" just means "not what I wanted to hear." The hard truth is that there sometimes are reasons to advise birth in a hospital, even when a woman passionately wants something else. As I said earlier, I'm not entirely sure what we in the out-of-hospital birth community need to be doing with and for families with bad MRSA histories, but I do think it's complicated, and I think it's a big deal -- which your own family's experience makes really clear, right?

It's a bit off topic (and I apologize for that), but I have to say, too, that I've been a bit taken aback by how quick so many of the responders in this thread have been to judge and condemn your midwives -- they've been described as callous, ignorant, concerned only about liability, treating you so badly, etc. And all of that judgement is based only your very angry (your words) accounts.  When you then characterize my own very careful response to you as "ugly" it makes me wonder about your characterization of the midwives at your birth center.

I'm sorry for the difficulty of your situation Bluesparks; I really am. It's a very hard place to be in. I agree with Cynthia's suggestion that you talk this over with a healthcare provider you trust. And if there are other midwives out there with more wisdom and experience on this topic, I'd be really interested to hear from you.

#20 of 27 Old 11-28-2011, 08:10 AM

Where are you located?

#21 of 27 Old 12-12-2011, 10:52 AM

I just read an article about using cannabis to combat MRSA infections:

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=5787866&page=1#.TuZMFkrog7B

I live in a medical marijuana state and I have seen MRSA treated with a topical application of a lotion that contained cannabis as an active healing ingredient. Topical lotions do not result in a "high" and are safe for pregnant women to use. Google "marijuana and MRSA" for more information.

I hope this helps!

#22 of 27 Old 12-12-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredmidwife View Post

Breathless Wonder,

You're mistaken about the MRSA protocols for carriers who don't have active infections, at least when it comes to birth. Look up MRSA on labor and delivery -- it's a huge deal.

You say:

NUMEROUS people carry it in their nasal passages, and never end up with a boil/abcess

But Bluesparks has said that her family has had numerous infections, including a current one and past "horrible ones." 

You say:

I just don't get it. . . .I mean seriously- they may have patients who have had MRSA who are wearing t-shirt, sleeveless shirts, shorts, skirts, etc. and sitting on and touching their equipment.  They have NO IDEA. 

But birth is not just about sitting around with dry, intact skin showing, right? Blood, sweat, tears, mucus, feces, urine, vomit... I've seen it all, been splashed by it all, and had all of it get on my equipment at births (and I am careful, believe me). And I've never but never gotten through a water birth without getting wet... with water that has blood, urine, sweat, vaginal mucus, amniotic fluid, and sometimes feces in it. So... a little different from someone sitting in my office in her t-shirt.

I'm not really sure what birth centers and we home birth midwives can do/should do with known MRSA, but I am pretty sure that we shouldn't make light of it and blow it off. That's how the hospitals got into the trouble they're in.

First of all, I have TRIED looking it up, and the little information that I have found is either inconclusive, or conflicting.

Second of all, I was responding in part to this particular situation, and in part to homebirth and birth center births and MRSA in general. 

Third, to my knowledge, blood, tears, feces, urine and vomit are not typical modes of spreading MRSA.  And assuming these are of concern, wouldn't the ever present media panic over transmission of blood borne diseases mean we would have heard more of an outcry over this?  Wouldn't doctors be warning people who have had MRSA to make sure no one touches ANY of their bodily fluids for risk of contracting MRSA?  If the worry is about any bodily fluid, then is breastmilk a concern as well?   Sweat, and mucus ARE known, and typical means of transmission- and these things are UNAVOIDABLE in life in general, not just in birth.  Which means the very clients, building, and equipment they are attempting to protect may have already been exposed and contaminated.  It is not like bluesparks67 failed to disclose it early on- she has been in their office for the entire pregnancy!  If you are worried about community acquired MRSA spreading to your facility, then you need to know the status of individuals before they even walk through your door!  What if a carrier sneezes or sweats in your building, on your furniture, etc.?  Did bluesparks67 or any of her family members ever sneeze or sweat while they were in the office?  It is entirely possible that they have clientele that are asymptomatic carriers, or are having issues with MRSA, and don't know what they are dealing with OR they know and did not disclose for any number of reasons (including being told that at this point, community acquired MRSA is EVERYWHERE!) and impossible to avoid.  I guess my point is, if they were SO concerned, it would seem like they are shutting the barn door after the horse has run off!  That is my problem with this situation.  MRSA has been around since 1961- so now, at 32 weeks of this woman's pregnancy, in 2011. you are going to say, "Oh shit! We should be worried about this?"  It is one thing for the average person to be misinformed about the protocols, but quite another for midwives and birthing centers to not have a clear grasp, and a standing policy regarding MRSA in place at this point!  There is no excuse to be doing a 180 at this time!  To me, it indicates a complete lack of knowledge and preparation for dealing with what you say is a very serious concern when birthing!

I am not suggesting to blow it off, and I am not suggesting to make light of it.  I am just questioning the efficacy of the decision these midwives had made at this point.   

I'd LOVE to see some real, peer reviewed studies on MRSA and birth, and I'm sure if the midwives had approached bluesparks67 with such studies, and talked to her like she was a reasonable human being, her reaction would have been different.  But it doesn't seem as though they did!  It doesn't seem as though they had given this much thought when she first came to them and disclosed her prior MRSA status.  It seems like a FEAR reaction.

In THIS case, there is an active infection in the family, and you are criticizing bluesparks67 for not disclosing the infection.  It does not seem as though she was given a CHANCE to disclose the infection on her own (which made her angry), it does seem like her daughter's doctor may have violated her privacy (which made her angry), and it also seems as though the birth center midwives may need to do a LOT more planning about how do deal with MRSA positive patient (which has made her frustrated).  It is unclear, because we are only getting one side of the story here, but it truly seems as though these midwives did not have a good grasp on MRSA and birth, and/or did not do a good job of communicating their boundaries with regards to MRSA.  Was the issue that there is an active MRSA infection in the household (which is what I assume), and if so, was bluesparks67 informed that this would risk her out of birthing there when she disclosed her MRSA status?  Or is the issue due to her MRSA positive status in the past, and the prior infections in the family?  If the second, why was it not a big deal earlier, but is now at 32 weeks?  And if she only had a history of past MRSA infections, and not a current outbreak in her household, would she have been okay then to birth in their birth center?  If no, then why did they continue to see her up until 32 weeks?

Is MRSA something that is omnipresent, and thus once a carrier, always a carrier?  Or can you be "cured"?  How long do you (or your household) need to be infection free to be considered "clear"?  Because I have never found a definitive answer to this question... 

I guess my final question is: does treating previously positive MRSA patients (or their families) like pariahs actually reduce the spread of MRSA?  I understand trying to protect your clientele, but I am unsure if the tactics thus employed by this particular birth center are in any way truly effective.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#23 of 27 Old 12-12-2011, 03:43 PM

I am so sad for the original poster who has been treated like a leper. At the same time - the kind of MRSA it sounds like you have is not something that is 'no big deal' either. I don't blame the birth center at all, and I think if the shoe was on the other foot - you wouldn't either.

My heart hurts for you OP, but I agree 110% with tiredmidwife.

What other birth options do you have? Unassisted and Hospital?

sewmachine.gifknit.gifrainbow1284.gifDaughter of Him, Wife and Mother to them partners.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gif,  

heartbeat.gifOne more on the way Fall 2013 pos.gif

#24 of 27 Old 12-12-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathless Wonder View Post

There is no excuse to be doing a 180 at this time!  To me, it indicates a complete lack of knowledge and preparation for dealing with what you say is a very serious concern when birthing!

This too! I doubt they have the knowledge or ability to help protect themselves and other clients also. This should have been explored at the intake interview. There was a midwife in Oregon who transferred the flesh eating virus to a clients lady parts - clearly having a set of initials by your name does not equal competence. Really late in the game for the poor OP...every one loses, really.

sewmachine.gifknit.gifrainbow1284.gifDaughter of Him, Wife and Mother to them partners.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gif,  

heartbeat.gifOne more on the way Fall 2013 pos.gif

#25 of 27 Old 12-13-2011, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

This is an important discussion.

MRSA is becoming more prevalent - and the organisms are becoming resistant to more and more antibiotics.

On a personal level - this is so heartbreaking for the OP. And the reality of the matter is difficult to hear, I think.

But on a broader level, midwives and the homebirth/OOH birth community would be wise to address this issue.

MRSA is not just a hospital problem. Nor is MRSA a problem only for people with pre-existing immune issues or weakened immunity.

And even with extra precautions- above and beyond standard precautions - MRSA can spread to healthy individuals who are hospitalized. And there are increasing cases of community acquired MRSA infections.

The last thing any health care provider should want is to contribute to the spread of MRSA. It's a tricky situation.

How do birth centers minimize the risk of spreading MRSA?

Really important discussion.

Kamiro likes this.
#26 of 27 Old 12-14-2011, 03:45 PM

I would be pissed if my MD called the birthing center regarding my family members personal medical history. Especially because my family member was not being seen or treated at the birthing center. As a healthcare facility, the birthing center should have protocols and policies already set up for dealing with MRSA patients. Depending on where the MRSA is patients may or may not be "isolated" in acute care settings. I'm so sorry that this was not addressed earlier in pregnancy. So you and your family could have worked out any wrinkles sooner rather than later. You can always contact Infectious Disease at the local hospital or an  ID MD in town and ask questions. I was wondering where you were located, OP?

For those unfamiliar with MRSA,

Staphylococcus aureus is a bacteria that is usually called “staph.” It is often found on the skin, nose, vagina and rectum of healthy people. Many people can carry staph bacteria without having an illness. Staph bacteria can cause common skin infections that are usually minor (pimples or boils). Sometimes, these infections can become serious. If serious, pneumonia, surgical wound infections, blood infections, or abscesses can develop. In the past, these more serious staph infections were treated with a penicillin-like antibiotic called methicillin. Eventually, the bacteria became resistant to the antibiotic, and is now called Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus infection (MRSA). MRSA first started in hospitals because of overuse of the antibiotic. This caused the bacteria to adapt and become resistant to methicillin. MRSA is spread though direct contact not through the air.

HA-MRSA (Hospital-Associated MRSA) infections occur in hospitals, healthcare facilities and nursing homes and is usually more severe. Community associated MRSA (CA-MRSA) usually causes skin infections but can develop into a more serious illness.

For pregnant woman

• Pregnant women can be a carrier of MRSA bacteria and not have an infection.
  • If the mother is a carrier of MRSA but has no illness ( infection), there is no risk to the baby.
  • If a pregnant patient has a MRSA infection, there is a small chance of passing the infection to the baby during a vaginal delivery.
  • There is no current proof of increased risk of miscarriage or birth defects in pregnant women with MRSA carrier state or active infection.
  • A MRSA carrier who just had a baby can develop a MRSA infection after going home from the hospital. It is important to be aware of MRSA infection symptoms.
  • If you are found to be infected with MRSA, treatment should be started right away.
  • Antibiotic treatment of a pregnant woman with MRSA infection is safe for the mother and the fetus.
  • Women with MRSA infection in a place other than the breast can keep breastfeeding when taking antibiotics.
  • If the infection is in the breast, one should not breastfeed the baby until the infection has been treated and is no longer present.
  • When a pregnant patient is screened for Group B Streptococcal (GBS) infection, MRSA may also be found even though there is no infection symptoms. In other words, both germs may be present at the same time. If this is found, your caregiver will talk to you about the best course of action.

Cause

Staphylococcus aureus bacteria that is resistant to methicillin. It can also be resistant to other antibiotics.

Symptoms

• Pimple with pus in it.
  • A boil on the skin.
  • Pus draining from the skin.
  • Abscess under the skin or somewhere in your body.
  • Shortness of breath if you have pneumonia.
  • Fever with or without chills.

Diagnosis

• Physical exam of the infection.
  • If infection is present, a culture will be obtained from that area.
  • It is not necessary to routinely screen all pregnant women for MRSA. If there has been contact with someone who is known to have a MRSA infection, your caregiver may get cultures from several areas where MRSA may be carried.

TREATMENT FOR THE INFECTED PREGNANT WOMAN

• The pimple, boil or abscess may be drained or cut ( incision).
  • Antibiotics are given that are not resistant to staphylococcus aureus.

TREATMENT FOR THE MRSA INFECTED BABY

• Isolation in the intensive care nursery.
  • Antibiotics as stated above that are not resistant to staphylococcus aureus.
  • Avoid a high fever.
  • Keep the baby well hydrated with enough fluids.

HOME CARE INSTRUCTIONS

• Take your medications as prescribed and follow your caregiver’s advice.
  • Finish all your antibiotic medication even after leaving the hospital.
  • Wash your hands often with soap and warm water. Do this especially after using the restroom, changing diapers, handling money and right after leaving public places.
  • Avoid people known to have an MRSA infection.
  • Do not come in contact with people with sores and bandages that protect sores.
  • Clean cuts and scrapes thoroughly. Cover them with a bandage.
  • Do not share towels, soaps, razors and other personal items with other people.
  • If you have an MRSA infection, protect your baby from coming in contact with it.
  • Wash your laundry separately from the rest of the family's if you have an MRSA infection.
  • Do not breastfeed if you have an MRSA infection on your body AND you are not being treated with an antibiotic.
  • Do not breastfeed if you have a MRSA infection of the breast even if you are on an antibiotic.
  • If you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant and you are a MRSA carrier, treatment may be recommended. With the advice of your caregiver, a prescription topical antibiotic can be applied around the nose (a common place for MRSA in the carrier state).

Document Released: 09/26/2009 Document Re-Released: 03/14/2011

ExitCare® Patient Information ©2011 ExitCare, LLC.

Erinlove.gif, wife to the love of my life partners.gif and mama to Ocean Acacia (19) hearts.gif,  Ivory Sierra (14), tea6.gifMeadow Autumn (12),read.gif Archer Orion (6) notes2.gif , and one more sweet love joining us earthside in late Winter 2012 homebirth.jpg.

#27 of 27 Old 12-28-2011, 11:51 AM

As an aide whenever a patient had MRSA we just gowned up and used standard precautions.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page