planning a homebirth after 4 hospital births - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 11-19-2011, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, I am new to the forum. banana.gif (sorry I just like the dancing banana lol)

I have had 4 babies in the hospital and after the last experience I realized I never, ever wanted to have a baby there again. All the typical interventions, and I just counted myself lucky that we got out of there without being sectioned or my son being formula fed honestly. The good news is he is 10 months old and thriving on mama milk, and will be hopefully a long time! :)

Anyway, dh and I decided that in a year we will be trying for a 5th. And we watched "The Business of Being Born". We are both sold on the idea of homebirth and my goal is to spend the next year getting in shape physically and financially and doing research. 

I have a question on what midwives typically require in order to do a homebirth, though. Does being 35 automatically mean "high risk"? I have never had any health conditions in pregnancy like diabetes or hypertension and all my births have been normal....

Melissa, momma to Hunter 8 , Julianna 7, Harley 23 months,  and breastfeeding, babywearing and bedsharing with my Dylan, born 1/18/2011.

intactivist.gifslingboy.giflactivist.gif

#2 of 2 Old 11-22-2011, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkijames View Post

I have a question on what midwives typically require in order to do a homebirth, though. Does being 35 automatically mean "high risk"? I have never had any health conditions in pregnancy like diabetes or hypertension and all my births have been normal....

I think that depends on way too many factors to really say. I think that generally being 35 does not place a mother in the high risk category according to midwives.  It didn't for me and I haven't heard of too many mothers being risked out for maternal age, especially as young as 35.  

I was on another thread that was talking a lot about "high risk" and it occurred to me that I don't even know exactly what that term is all about. I'm not sure if it is an official medical term, with specific parameters, or if it is a subjective term to be determined by individual health care providers.  

You may try your tribal area to ask the question specifically about midwives in your area or even call a midwife to ask.  Good luck!  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page