Trying to decide if I want to try homebirth for birth #5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-23-2011, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi! I found this website in my research of homebirths.  I am currently approx. 7-8 weeks pregnant with my 5th child.  I have had 4 natural births in a hospital, but am wondering if a homebirth would be a better choice for me.  I feel like I would probably be a good candidate.  I'm 29 years old, normal weight, no health problems.  I've had 4 very easy pregnancies and labor and deliveries.  No problems during pregnancy.  No high blood pressure, no diabetes, nothing.  I went into labor naturally with all of my pregnancies and never need any sort of interventions or pitocin.  The latest I've ever gone is 3 days overdue.  My labors tend to move fairly quickly.  My first was 14 hours from 1st contraction to birth and they've gotten shorter since then with my 4th labor being 3 hours, 25 minutes from start to finish with only 5 min of pushing. I've never used pain meds. My hospital births were with a CNM were fine, but I just feel like something is missing.  It's not that special, home feeling.  I want to be surrounded by loved ones, not medical personnel.  I was mad that at the hospital they insisted on taking my blood and giving me an IV even though I didn't even need one. Also when I was having my 3rd child, my 2nd child was only 15 months old.  My husband brought the kids into see me while I was in labor and I nursed my 15 month old b/c he was hungry and really missing me.  The nurse walked in and acted like I was a nut - I really didn't appreciate that.  My 2 yo daughter is still nursing and most likely will be in the summer when I'm due and I would love to be able to nurse her. Do you think I would be a good candidate?  Why are you deciding to have a homebirth?  There is an LM that is my area that I'm considering using.   I really need to decide if I want to use her or the CNM because I want to start my prenatal care.  What pros outweigh the cons to you?  Thanks!

Happy stay at home & homeschooling mom to a 7 y.o. girl, 5 y.o boy, 4 y.o. boy, & 2 y.o. girl

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2011, 09:40 AM

You sound like an excellent candidate for homebirth.

My DD was 31 months when DS was born and not wanting to leave her at home originally pushed me towards a homebirth.  The experience was wonderful and my only regret is that my 1st was also not born at home.  I would definately go meet the midwife you are considering and see if it seems like a good fit.  If you have more than one option, you might want to interview more than one midwife.

Good luck and CONGRATS!!!

Old 12-05-2011, 08:18 AM

My first home birth was our fifth baby as well. :)

It sounds like home birth would be a perfect move for you. One of my main reasons for choosing a home birth was my family. With my fourth baby, my children came to visit during labor, and my four year old was trying to climb on the bed with me. I was hooked up to an IV, and the nurse was worried he'd pull on me. There wasn't enough room, and it was really hard on both of us. Since we homeschool, my kids are used to me being there when they need me. I wanted to leave as soon as possible because there were some things going on with my mom and my kids. My children were miserable and needed their momma! I was feeling fine, and I couldn't wait to get out of that hospital!

With our fifth, we chose a home birth for many different reasons. One of them was our last experience with our children at the hospital. The birth was a different situation. My water broke early, so we had to try to induce labor naturally. My labor didn't really start until almost midnight. I was able to put our 20 month old to bed. The older kids slept in the living room. None were present for the birth, but as soon as she was born, we called in the kids. Our oldest daughter was able to help with the bath and measuring of this sister she had waited 9 years for! It was such a special family experience. I was breastfeeding the baby when our 20 month old woke up and came into our bedroom to snuggle. He snuggled right up with us, and I thought what a special and natural way to be introduced to his little sister.

If a home birth is something you want, I would definitely suggest interviewing midwives and going for it!

Old 12-05-2011, 08:34 AM

I'm only on my second but having a home birth. As long as you have no high risk factors you are golden. *I* would go with the CNM personally b/c she has the most training, although in my state you can't have a CNM only a CPM. So I have a CPM.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

Old 12-05-2011, 07:48 PM

oh man....  i am a big fan of home births.  My fourth was my first home birth and it was soooo different.  Instead of rushing and being on the clock it was relaxing.  Mine wasn't the easiest birth- but it was just fine and I was so glad that I was at home.  I have a CPM and she is fantastic.  The level of care is so beyond the medical establishment.  Nothing even close.  I would meet with her and see what you think.  

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

Old 12-07-2011, 09:09 AM

I am in the same boat as you -- this is my 5th baby and my first homebirth, although I've had natural deliveries before that went smoothly.

You sound like a great candidate!

Mama to five babies. The newest one made her debut 7.10.12!

Old 12-08-2011, 08:37 AM

I second what everyone else says. I've never had a hospital birth and am preparing now for another homebirth...wouldn't do it any other way!

I think homebirth gets cooler with every kid you have....my DDs birth was awesome, but having my DD present at DSs birth (even at just 17 months) was way cool and this time, DD will be just barely 4 and DS will be 2.5...and DD is SO excited, she can't wait. I just feel like it's so cool for them to meet the baby at home, in our own surroundings.

You will have an even cooler time of things, with more kids who are older.....that is AWESOME! Your history really sounds great....you seem like a perfect candidate for switching to homebirth!

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

Tags
Homebirth
User Tag List