Planning homebirth, water leaking, labor not starting... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-03-2011, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

hi all.  Question for you!

Background:  Baby #4, 2nd Homebirth, 4th non-medicated birth. 

I'm 41 weeks + 2 days and yesterday at 10:00 AM my waters started leaking.  Conx 15-20 min apart.  Very sporatic sometimes stopping all together for up to an hour.  Called my midwife, she said make sure fluid is clear (it is), watch for fever, and just wait.  I'm still waiting 3:20 next day--over 24 hours later.  I called her again a while a go to say nothing has changed and she is going to come check vitals ect to see if all looks ok still...

Has this happened to anyone else??  I can't help but feel discouraged and kind of panic-y as the time rolls on. 

Mama to DD 8 * DS 6 * DS 2
Expecting #4 Late Nov 2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 12-03-2011, 05:44 PM

My waters were broken for about 52 hours before DS arrived.  Not leaking, full-on broken.  I soaked every towel, washcloth and absorbent anything in the house in that time.

When labor hadn't kicked into "full blast" within about 12 hours, I went to see an accupuncturist (which did no good - I should have seen a chiropractor instead, since he was malpositioned).  After about 24 hours, I started with the breastpump.  About an hour with the pump got labor going, and a day later DS was born (with a nuchal hand).  I will say that if labor hasn't started, don't allow any cervical checks.  Do a litmus swab to check the leak, but no cervical checks until labor is definitely going. 

And definitely talk to your MW about how long she is comfortable with you going with a leak.  If it is truly just a leak, watch to see if it reseals.  A friend had this happen - it resealed, and the OB at the hospital wanted to cut until they did the litmus swab and determined she was no longer leaking (and sent her home).  No leaking, no timer. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 6 Old 12-04-2011, 07:18 AM

In my 22 years as, first an L&D nurse, then a home birth midwife, this scenario has happened all the time.  Most recently 3 months ago.  A woman had a large gush of fluid, then nothing, then leaked a little every so often.  The swab showed alkaline (bag of waters broken).After 3 days of no labor, she was evaluated at the hospital.  Their swab said no  ruptured membranes.  She waited another 2 weeks and had her baby at home. I wouldn't worry a whole lot about your water being broken and the chance of infection.  I have this discussion often with doctors and nurses that work with pregnant women.  Why are we comfortable waiting on a woman with a premature baby with ruptured membranes (we will wait months to get that baby mature!) yet we put a timeline on a mature baby?

#4 of 6 Old 12-13-2011, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your reponses.  As for an update, I ended up going into labor a few hours after posting.  31 hours after my water began leaking. 1 hour after my midwife came to visit, did vitals/heart tones and rubbed my thighs with Cleary Sage Oil:)

I had a very wonderful home/water birth.  Began labor about 5:00PM and my 8 lb 2 oz little girl, Ruby, was born at 1:02 AM-- so about 8 hours of actual labor contractions.  Best labor yet:)

Mama to DD 8 * DS 6 * DS 2
Expecting #4 Late Nov 2011
#5 of 6 Old 12-14-2011, 02:32 PM

Congratulations!! Enjoy your babymoon! Wonderful to hear all went well <3

Erinlove.gif, wife to the love of my life partners.gif and mama to Ocean Acacia (19) hearts.gif,  Ivory Sierra (14), tea6.gifMeadow Autumn (12),read.gif Archer Orion (6) notes2.gif , and one more sweet love joining us earthside in late Winter 2012 homebirth.jpg.

#6 of 6 Old 12-16-2011, 11:32 AM

YEAH! Congrats!!

Yeah, my DD - water broke, 31 hours of Nooooothing...then active labor hit hard and heavy and 1 hour 57 minutes later I was holding a baby.

My DS - water broke, 28 hours of Noooooothing....then active labor hit hard and heavy and 1 hour 37 minutes later I was holding a baby!

I know my mother was EXACLTY the same...so I think that's just the way it goes sometimes!

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

Tags
Homebirth

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page