31 weeks with deeply engaged, posterior baby - tips for helping baby to rotate? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-15-2011, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello friends - I read posts all the time but rarely post my own.  I am 31 weeks with my 4th baby, and am not yet "worried" about my posterior little bundle but I also don't want to ignore what might be helpful.  Any suggestions for helping baby assume a more labor-friendly position?  S/he is very deep in my pelvis, and definitely head-down.

I know my chiropractor will help make some adjustments in the next couple of weeks, but was wondering about other ideas to try to help the baby decide he or she wants to settle with her back flipped around the other way.  Also will make me more comfortable - the little fingers in the low uterus are getting me!

#2 of 7 Old 12-16-2011, 09:53 AM

There's the usual positional things to help the baby move (hands-and-knees, lying on sides on the couch when reading or watching TV), and you'll be working with your chiropractor, and it's early; you have time for baby to move. But I wanted to point out that sometimes OP can be normal. Babies often seek the position they need to be born in, for reasons we don't always understand (like babies who flip to breech in labor). All my babies were born direct OP, even the 9-pounder (though this was not a cakewalk lol). Just make sure that what you do to help baby rotate is gentle, and don't fret if baby doesn't move; it may happen in labor or not at all. I know what you mean about those scrabbling little hands, though! :)

#3 of 7 Old 12-16-2011, 10:21 AM

My chiropractor was a great help in turning my son who was posterior at 37 weeks. I also used some tips from spinningbabies.com. One thing I did, which my husband thought was hilarious, was to hang off of the couch. It's hard to describe, but I would put my thighs on the couch and my face on the floor, so that my belly hung down. I would do this for about 5 minutes every few hours. This uses gravity to pull baby up out of the pelvis and allow him/her to turn. 

Mama to Silas Anansi, born 9/9/10 and Petra Eadaion, born 10/1/12.

#4 of 7 Old 12-21-2011, 11:58 AM

I have had tow babies that waited a really long time to turn.  DD turned at 37 weeks on her own.  DS3 the midwife did that thing where she relaxes your uterus to get the baby to turn ( I can't remember what that is called though).  I also went to the chiro for the webster technique and played music way down on my uterus.  He finally turned at 38 weeks- but he was born at 43w.  Both of mine were breech though.

You still have lots of time!  

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#5 of 7 Old 12-30-2011, 09:12 PM

Chiro will be very good, so I'm glad you have that lined up.  Baby may be comfy being posterior so you might have a battle to keep him anterior. What worked for us (and sent me into labor a couple hours later as body was ready otherwise) was rebozo sifting from spinningbabies. Was amazed how quickly she switched from posterior to anterior. She had been back and forth for a couple of weeks but seemed to always settle OP. She was born right anterior.  I really didn't WANT a posterior baby going into labor, but I also knew she wouldn't necessarily stay that way if it happened.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#6 of 7 Old 01-08-2012, 07:26 PM

http://spinningbabies.com/  is a very good resource

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#7 of 7 Old 01-10-2012, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Happy to report that baby has shifted to a more ideal birth position, still cooking away in there.  Still sitting VERY low though!  Wowsahs.

Tags
Homebirth

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page