Midwife in Northern California Offering Sliding Scale or Accepting MediCal? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-01-2012, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am hoping with every ounce of my being that I can find a home birth midwife in Northern California ( I'm in Mendocino County ) that either accepts MediCal or can offer some kind of sliding scale fees.   I just found out I'm pregnant this week and my heart is really set on a home birth.

#2 of 9 Old 01-02-2012, 10:34 AM

Every midwife I've interviewed offers a sliding scale.  But only a CNM will accept MediCal, so far as I know.  I don't know if MC will cover HB though. 

Start calling around and asking - it's a legitimate question and if the answer is no, thank them for their time and cross them off your list. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 9 Old 01-02-2012, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

I've emailed a few midwives months ago and haven't gotten responses. I wonder if they don't check their email.  I guess I'll have to call.

#4 of 9 Old 01-02-2012, 12:29 PM

I've had bad luck emailing midwives unless I know for a fact they check that address regularly. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

#5 of 9 Old 01-03-2012, 11:10 PM

I would check and see if they IR their practice has Facebook, and send a message that way.

Sent from my LG-MS690 using Tapatalk

NishaG momsling.GIF - Wife to Big K for 20 years - Mama to KJ and KC, and our 1st baby girl, KS, born 1/20/12 familybed1.gif diaper.gif!

#6 of 9 Old 01-09-2012, 12:22 PM

I'm searching as well.  We live in Humboldt, and I've found midwives who do sliding scale- $3000-$5000.  The ladies I've spoken with offer lab work which would be out of pocket, or what I've discoverd and am going with is to allow Medical to cover my lab work at a clinic (which fortunately for me has respect for the hb midwives, and works closely with them), and then pay out of pocket for the prenatal, birthing, and postnatal care.

Just call everymidwife you can until you find the right one!  Good Luck!

Mama to 3: two charismatic and creative ladies, and one prince!  Married to the man of my dreams, and living simply in abundance in Northern California, with one more on the way!
#7 of 9 Old 01-09-2012, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

I did speak with a midwife willing to discuss sliding scale possibly, but I was also thinking of doing the same thing with lab work/tests in hopes of lowering the costs.  I'm hoping everyone would be okay with that?

#8 of 9 Old 01-09-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YvieRay View Post

I did speak with a midwife willing to discuss sliding scale possibly, but I was also thinking of doing the same thing with lab work/tests in hopes of lowering the costs.  I'm hoping everyone would be okay with that?

Costs of lab tests are set by the labs and not the MW.  The MW may be willing to work with you to minimize the number of tests and find the cheapest course for getting them run, but ultimately the cost of the tests is not her call.  And I've never known a lab to be willing to negotiate on them, usually their prices are fixed. 

#9 of 9 Old 01-09-2012, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

What I'm saying is, if I am having labs done elsewhere (which are covered by my insurance) the cost with my midwife should be less since labs are included in the cost.   Just the same as what sheaffer has described.

Tags
Homebirth

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page