preparing for my first homebirth! need book reccomendations! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-22-2012, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

my first 3 were born in a hospital or hospital run birth center with ob or a fam practice doctor who did deliveries. had an epi with all except the last one. i am really looking forward to being at home and more untouched than at the hospital. since baby will be born in late june most likely, i am seriously considering a water birth. this will be my 4th birth.

i would love all book reccomendations! i love to read and learn and have not read enough about homebirth.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#2 of 9 Old 01-22-2012, 09:44 AM

Oh am I ever excited to help with a book list.

These are the books that led to me choosing and being confident in a home birth with my first, and I have re-read them for my impending (any day now) second planned home birth:

1. Ina May Gaskin's "Guide to Natural Childbirth" --convinced me that I could do this.  Full of wonderful stories of homebirths, and info on labour and medical issues.
  2. Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way --I read and reread this because it really explained what would happen with my body which meant I could visualize it and help it happen.  Relaxation techniques led to me being so relaxed I was 10cm before the midwife even arrived!  I realize now that it was the reason I laboured so calmly and confidently.
  3. Birthing From Within --good 'psychological' preparation for viewing/interpreting pain, and ridding self of any fears.  Made more sense later in pregnancy --earlier on I just didn't 'get it'.
  4. Ina May Gaskin's "Spiritual Midwifer" --more lovely stories
  5. Hypnobirthing: the Mongan Method --I took the course and read the book.  I thought it was THE reason things had gone smoothly, but it has taken second fiddle to Bradley Method in hindsight.

I also watched LOTS of videos online and scoured the net for all stories or pictures that would support my view of a relaxed and calm birth.

Hope this helps.

Heather

#3 of 9 Old 01-23-2012, 06:11 PM

Congratulations!  

I second "Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth"

There are also some wonderful birth stories and good info on the website "bringbirthhome.com" 

Also, if you're in the mood for a documentary, Ricki Lake did one on home birth called "The Business of Being Born" 

Good luck with your decision!!

Youngfrankenstein likes this.

Proud mommy to DS 10/27/09, and two crazy fur babies, married to my superman, and loving this mommy thing! No circ, no vaxes, veg, and making up the rest as I go along
#4 of 9 Old 01-24-2012, 04:31 AM

Exactly what Jules said.  You can also watch birth videos on YouTube.  I liked "Pushed" by Jennifer Block and Born in the USA by Marsden Wagner but they aren't childbirth books, but more books about American birth culture.

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#5 of 9 Old 01-29-2012, 09:16 PM

I would highly recommend hypnobabies as a resource to prepare for homebirth.  It is actually adaptable for either hospital or home birth, but I felt like it helped me so very much viewing my birth in a positive light (which is saying something after having a traumatic birth experience).  It also helped me bond with my baby before she was born, it helped me have a positive attitude in general, and it helped me during delivery.  I can't say enough about it.  I also enjoyed watching home birth documentaries, just for some added support, they also helped convince my husband that homebirth was the way to go.  Congratulations by the way!  I hope your birth is everything you want it to be.  

#6 of 9 Old 01-30-2012, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

thanks everyone. my last was a natural birth in a birth center with a doctor. i am so excited to be doing it at home this time. i have written down all the books and will be reading all the ones i havent read yet!

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#7 of 9 Old 01-30-2012, 07:23 AM

Birthing From Within By Pam England... if you can read one- I think this is it.

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#8 of 9 Old 01-30-2012, 07:25 AM

ina may!!  

A Toronto born young mama blowkiss.giffreshly moved for a new adventure in ALBERTA! with Superdaddy superhero.gifand her intact and vax free, breastfed and babyworn Aug09 babenono02.gif attending college for early childhood educationwhale.gif   and being blessed with #2 just in time for Valentines Dayheartbeat.gif pos.gif

#9 of 9 Old 01-30-2012, 09:07 AM

VespaGirl has a great list!  You might also rent the film "Orgasmic Birth."

Professor mama dedicated to natural birth, breastfeeding, growing our food, cloth diapering, hunting, foraging, a Nourishing Traditions lifestyle, no television, no vaccinations, no circumcision

blogging.jpg at www.number2-7.blogspot.com

Tags
Homebirth

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page