homebirth birthing kit - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-28-2012, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, even though this is my 3rd homebirth (B"H), I still want to make sure I"m not leaving anything out of my birth kit. Basically, I'm just putting all the stuff I'll possibly need together in the same place so that it is readily accessible for my hubby and midwife. Here is what I've got.

Cloth pads for post partum

Cloth diapers for baby and cloth wipes

1st outfit for baby (hat, onesie, long sleeved footie thingy)

Warm baby blanket (it's pretty cold here)

Homeopathics for birth...the cohoshes, sepia, pulsitillia, arnica, hameallius, rescue remedy 

Hemmoroid ointment

Tinctures for birth and post partum: St. John's Wort, Scullcap, Valerian, Motherwort

Oils: Calundula oil, that I made (in olive oil), St. John's Wort (in olive), apricot (for baby)

Essential Oils: chamomile, lavendar, clary sage

A pomandered etrog (citron)...this is a segula (something like a good luck charm) for a quick and easy birth

Hot water bottle

Thermos for red raspberry leaf tea infusion and later for water post birth

Chux Pads

Receiving blankets

Washcloths (for oil compresses on the perineum during the birth)

Towels and/or blankets (to keep warm for me and baby)

Garbage bags for clean up

Birthing socks

Bathrobe

Something warm to wear post birth (I get VERY cold)

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 01-28-2012, 05:13 PM

Here's a list that many midwives I know suggest:

• 6-8 washed receiving blankets
  • 6-8 clean towels 
  • 8-10 clean washcloths
  • Crock pot for warm compresses
  • Olive oil for perineum
  • Full roll of paper towels
  • Large bottle of hydrogen peroxide
  • Heating pad 
  • Tall trash can with liner
  • Laundry basket
  • Flashlight and extra batteries
  • Camera/video camera with full battery
  • Sanitary napkins, overnight sized
  • Juice and electrolyte replacement drink such as Gatorade
  • Healthy food and snacks for mom, birth attendants, and guests
  • 2 vinyl liners for your bed

Married to Tom partners.gif since 2001, mom to 4 boys and our first girl born Feb. 19, 2012!

Florida licensed midwife and CPM lovinghandsmidwifery.org

#3 of 8 Old 01-30-2012, 04:13 AM - Thread Starter

plastic liners! We just get some plastic table cloths to cover a surface if we need it. Have never used them, though. Thanks. I forgot that one.

#4 of 8 Old 01-30-2012, 06:43 AM

For both my homebirths, we forgot to have a bowl handy for the placenta. LOL Dh ran to the kitchen and grabbed one of my good bowls and later threw it away (he could have just washed it)! Haha I still laugh about it. The ONE thing we didn't have handy.

Mama to DD(6) DS(4) DD(2.5)LO(due July 2012): and loving wife to my great DH
I praise and thank God for my familychicken3.gif

#5 of 8 Old 01-30-2012, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm not stressing so much about that, as bad as it seems. My mw requested it (they always to) but I always prefer to just to that on a chux pad anyway, and then we put it in a plastic container and freeze until we can bury it. *shrug*

Some of the hbmw here in Israel request things like alcohol and whatnot. I dunno. I feel like it's a waste of money and also a mw could bring it with her. Ours didn't even request it, but she DID request sheperd's purse tincture which I thought was weird because that's really an only if you need it kind of thing, and since the majority of women WOULDN'T need it, it seems weird to request that everyone buy it! Many mw's just pack that in their bag and give as (if) needed.

lol. It all seems pretty random to me. Any thoughts about tying off cord? I assume she comes prepared since she didn't request anything, but I wonder if there is anything worth using...?

#6 of 8 Old 01-31-2012, 03:56 PM

In addition to the above, my MW also requests a bottle of rubbing alcohol and one of hydrogen peroxide.  And a hand-held mirror.

I do find it odd that your MW is requesting you to get Shepherds Purse, but I don't find it at all weird that she's requesting alcohol.  Alcohol may be used in many places, from wiping the cord stump, to cleaning blood off tile.  And if you have stitches, you're going to want it after your MW leaves.  Peroxide is used in the washing machine in any load that had blood.  We went through a big bottle of it after DS was born, between blankets, sheets, towels and cloth pads. 

Oh, and a spare set of sheets, JIC. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#7 of 8 Old 02-01-2012, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

She isn't requesting alcohol. I've had other hbmw's who request it. This one did not. Truthfully, I wouldn't allow the cord stump to be wiped with alcohol, anyway. Or clean my floor with it. Regular soap would do or bleach in water. Nor would I wash any clothes/towels with it. lol. I have other things for stains. And I wouldn't use it after the mw left. I bought it at my last birth for my mw and felt like it was a big waste. She used it on something of hers and then that was all the use it got. :/ In that case, I think a mw should bring her own. Ditto with sheperd's purse. This is kind of stuff that is used at the birth only and only if needed, ykwim?

There are other things that I've seen on lists that are completely unnecessary, imo. My mw, thankfully, was like "these are suggestions. I come with everything that is absolutely necessary." For example, the plastic sheets (we just use a thick plastic wrap table cloth) weren't on her list at all. I've never actually used them for a birth...well, except that time we brougth in the kiddie pool and put one underneith that. lol. But I think they are good to have on hand. You never know. And they cost a few dollars.

The other thing I think it's kind of uncool of midwives to suggest, and I know that a lot of people will not agree with me, but they don't suggest that here in Israel, is snacks for the midwife. That kind of puts me off. I've worked many a jobs in my day. Some that required overnight work where I couldn't get away. I was expected to bring my own snacks. Of course, she's welcome to any amount of drinks that she would like and whatever I happen to have knocking around the fridge, but I'm kind of not about making meals or snacks for the midwife! Every meal I've made is for freezing for myself and my family after the birth. :) Maybe I feel this way because I'm totally on my own post birth...there is no help...no family...it's just me with all the homeschooled littles. Maybe elsewhere a midwife comes over post birth to help with meals or laundry or something?

I dunno. It's all so personal what you feel you need at your birth. The truth is, you really don't need that much, do you? You can just kind of make do with anything, B"H! :)

At any rate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post

In addition to the above, my MW also requests a bottle of rubbing alcohol and one of hydrogen peroxide.  And a hand-held mirror.

I do find it odd that your MW is requesting you to get Shepherds Purse, but I don't find it at all weird that she's requesting alcohol.  Alcohol may be used in many places, from wiping the cord stump, to cleaning blood off tile.  And if you have stitches, you're going to want it after your MW leaves.  Peroxide is used in the washing machine in any load that had blood.  We went through a big bottle of it after DS was born, between blankets, sheets, towels and cloth pads. 

Oh, and a spare set of sheets, JIC. 

#8 of 8 Old 02-01-2012, 07:59 AM

My midwife is having me order a put-together kit from inhishands birth supply. The list is as follows:

10 Underpad, 23X24, Deluxe

5 Underpad 23X36, Deluxe

1 Pad, Non-Sterile, Tabless, Adhesive (dozen)

1 Peri Bottle, 8 Oz

1 Betasept, 4 Oz

12 Gauze Sponge, 4 X 4 12-ply (2/pkg)

1 Scrub Brush, Hibiclens

2 Plastic Cord Clamp - Sterile

2 Tenderfoot Lancet

6 Lube Jelly, 3 grams, sterile

15 Alcohol Prep Pad

1 Amnicot, latex free

1 Stretch Briefs - unisize

1 Tape Measure, infant, 2 ft/60 cm

6 Glove Medline Sterile Medium Single, VINYL

3 Glove, Medium Pair, VINYL, sterile

2 Peri Cold Pack, OB Pad w/Instant cold pack inside

2 Flexible Drinking Straws

2 Plastic Backed Sheet, 40 X 72

1 Gentle Birth Formula, Herbal Dietary Supplement, 4 ounces

1 Suction Catheter from DeLee, 8 French, 20cc

Altogether this kit is $90.

Additionally, she provided me with a list of things to have on hand:

Camera with plenty of extra film

Video camera to record the event and someone specifically to operate it.

IPOD/Tape/CD player for music to facilitate relaxation

Depends undergarments (for the first few days of bleeding. Believe me, they help prevent a lot of laundry duties!)

Juice for immediately after the birth of your baby (Sugar helps to get your blood sugar back to normal quickly.)

Size 1 and 2 diapers (Not every baby will be 6-8 lbs!)

Plenty of water (for the midwife too!)

Lansinoh

Your favorite foods for during and after the birth.

2 full bed sheet sets

Hydrogen Peroxide removes blood from sheets, carpet, etc. You will want 2 large bottles

Large trash can with liner

Favorite music, candles, aromatherapy

Snacks for the midwife and assistant to graze on (cheeses, fruit trays, salad trays)

Also she suggests having a bag packed for possible transport that contains:

Comfortable clothing to wear at the hospital

Tooth Brush, Hair Brush, and other toiletries

Depends undergarments to wear after the birth

Clothes for the baby to be dressed in after the birth, including diapers

Prepared food in freezer or refrigerator at home for the next 2 to 3 days OR someone on hand to cook

Baby's car seat

An adult trusted by the other children to look after them

SAHMhippie.gif married to DH treehugger.gif since 09/11. Mama to DD (01/08)dust.gifand DS (06/12) babyboy.gif

Tags
Homebirth

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page